PDA

View Full Version : Do not try this at home! A project gone terribly wrong.

Sad Eyed Lady
3-24-14, 11:32am
Here is a warning and your chuckle for the day. I had an old down comforter that I got the idea would make wonderful blankets to donate to the animal shelter. I was imagining having four good size blankets out of the comforter. So, this morning I did think that if I cut it the down would go everywhere. Then I begin the project by trying to sew the comforter before cutting so as to keep the down intact. Alas, the way I was trying to do it I could hardly sew through it, and the size kept getting in the way of trying to feed it through the machine. So, first plan wasn't working. Then I laid it out on the table and decided I would have to cut it into the sizes needed before sewing. And I did. And down did go EVERYWHERE! Then you know how determination takes over. I did manage to sew the four blankets amid the down fog swirling through the room, hallway and kitchen (where I was doing the cutting). I haven't even looked in the mirror, probably have down & feathers coating my hair. After all were sewn, I took them outside to blow around in the breeze hoping to get the rest of the stray down taken care of. Meanwhile, I vacuumed down, and vacuumed down, and ....well I THINK I have the most of it disposed of now. Never again will I try this project!

fidgiegirl
3-24-14, 12:22pm
LOL, but what elegant blankets the shelter will have! Sounds like something from a comedy movie!

Float On
3-24-14, 1:16pm
You paint a very good word picture. I almost feel like I'll find some feathers in my hair.

Gardenarian
3-24-14, 3:07pm
You know what they say about good intentions...
Sorry you had such a mess, but you gave me a good Monday morning chuckle :)

CathyA
3-24-14, 3:30pm
I hope you don't have any "feather balls" that you cough up later! How kind of you to be doing this for the animal shelter!

Lainey
3-24-14, 9:42pm
Good for you for persisting and finishing this project.
One of my former co-workers had a pretty funny expression when he ran into similar types of situations (a nail that wouldn't go into the right spot, or a repair that refused to stay repaired, etc.) - he used to grit his teeth and say, "Okay, now it's personal!" ha ha and that would make him redouble his efforts and get it done!

iris lily
3-24-14, 9:52pm
a-ha! WSell, I guess those duck feathers showed you !

I have cut apart comforters to sew into squares to use a dog pads, but mine have poly fiberfill innards. Neither me or my dogs are deserving of real down. :)

Selah
3-25-14, 4:56am
LOL! :)

Jilly
3-25-14, 9:27am
LOL

Yarrow
3-25-14, 10:48pm
So awesome that you did this for the shelter animals, even though it was a headache! :)

steve s
3-27-14, 11:08am
I work at an animal shelter, please keep these things in mind.

Every bit of fabric we use must be able to withstand repeated washing in a lot of bleach and hot water followed by high heat spin drying. Down doesn't fill that bill and would not be useable in my place. With around 80 cats we do well over 100 lbs laundry/day, so anything that requires special care can't get used. However I would try to give that to someone with our foster-care animals at home.

The best cheap bedding we get from donors looks like it comes from fabric store remnants of plush. Old towels are great, too. Pet beds your pets won't use at home are great, too.