PDA

View Full Version : "I just hope I can get to the end of my life without turning into an a*&#^le again."

frugal-one
4-5-14, 7:49pm
If you have 15 minutes in your otherwise busy life today, check out this video on the New York Times website (Slomo):

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/01/opinion/slomo.html?hp&rref=opinion&_r=0
It's about a doctor who realized that his life which revolved around his work, his mansion, and his 12 cylinder BMW, made him feel and act like an a*&^#le.

Great quote at the end: "I just hope I can get to the end of my life without turning into an a*&#^le again."

ToomuchStuff
4-5-14, 8:47pm
How about the story's name? Link is no good.

frugal-one
4-6-14, 1:06pm
Edited above.... should work now.... Slomo is article name.

catherine
4-6-14, 1:33pm
Awesome!!!! Thank you! I may just incorporate viewings of this video into my morning meditation.

I love to see how the younger folk embrace this older guy who is STILL filled with life. Younger folk believe that getting older means getting infirm, grumpy, cynical, ugly, wrinkled, broke, and sad.

We folk 60 and over have to start a Senior Non-a$$h0le Revolution!!!! We have to spread joy. Do what we want! Be the best kind of role model for younger people and our peers!

new2oregon
4-6-14, 3:04pm
Frugal-one, Thanks for sharing that. When you live a simple life you can do what you want. Its all whats important to you. I keep making changes and learn to live with less and it means more to me than fancy cars and houses. Its funny how people think you are crazy when you choose to live a real simple life.

gimmethesimplelife
4-6-14, 3:27pm
Awesome!!!! Thank you! I may just incorporate viewings of this video into my morning meditation.

I love to see how the younger folk embrace this older guy who is STILL filled with life. Younger folk believe that getting older means getting infirm, grumpy, cynical, ugly, wrinkled, broke, and sad.

We folk 60 and over have to start a Senior Non-a$$h0le Revolution!!!! We have to spread joy. Do what we want! Be the best kind of role model for younger people and our peers!I love your attitude!!!! Rob

Teacher Terry
4-6-14, 5:29pm
This video was awesome! It really does make you realize what is important in life!

gadder
4-6-14, 6:23pm
new2Oregon wrote:
Its funny how people think you are crazy when you choose to live a real simple life

I have noticed that, on the online dating sites, the question "how ambitious are you?", rarely ever does anyone choose 'not ambitious', meaning conventionally socially-applauded ambition RE money, career, worldly goods. Where are all the non-ambitious women <sigh>? Maybe we could redefine 'ambition' because for me now it is a pejorative.

Spartana
4-7-14, 1:13pm
new2Oregon wrote:

I have noticed that, on the online dating sites, the question "how ambitious are you?", rarely ever does anyone choose 'not ambitious', meaning conventionally socially-applauded ambition RE money, career, worldly goods. Where are all the non-ambitious women <sigh>? Maybe we could redefine 'ambition' because for me now it is a pejorative.

And "ambition" can take many forms not just work or financial related. So I'd just switch "not ambitious" to "ambitious to do, see experience, and take part in life to the fullest rather than working my butt off to attain large amounts of money and material stuff before I die". Unfortunately most people don't seem to think of those kind of ambitions as worthy. Heck I left the working world at 42 so I can climb mountains (and then fling myself off them in various semi-suicidal ways :-)!), hike and bike and kayak and run on every trail and waterway in existence, see the world, do everything there is to do and try everything there is to try, and play, play and play some more. So I consider myself VERY ambitious :-)!

Great article Frugal-one. Thanks for posting! Makes me glad I "saw the light" early in life and was able to break out of the rat race fairly young before I became a curmudgeon old coot (oh wait.....) .