PDA

View Full Version : Years of Living Dangerously

CathyA
4-13-14, 8:52am
Anyone see this? It's a documentary on Showtime about Climate Change. I think I'll watch the first episode this afternoon, since I have more data plan now and can watch it on my computer.
It's about all the signs around the world of climate change.
What's funny (not)........is that when I was listening to the CBS morning news the other day, they had the photographer for this documentary on there. He was talking about our downward spiral with climate change.
Then, as soon as his segment was done, they went right into all the latest electronic gadgets we just HAVE to have. Oh well......so much for the environment.........

catherine
4-13-14, 9:04am
Yes! I started watching it yesterday, but had to run and do errands, so I'm planning on watching it on my computer today. I'm bummed that they could only get Showtime to pick it up. I don't get Showtime.

CathyA
4-13-14, 9:24am
Unfortunately, these kinds of shows just seem to be preaching to the choir. :(

catherine
4-13-14, 9:45am
So true. Every time I get a book on climate, I skip through 75% of the upfront "the sky is falling" stuff to get to the 25% of solution. Sometimes the solution part is only a short chapter.

Apparently the reason the producers did this show was because they are well aware that statistics fall on deaf ears and the only way to maybe get to people is through emotion (true). Let's see what happens. But as you say, the only people who are psyched about watching this show are people like you and me, Cathy! The rest will watch something else like Housewives of Orange County or Pawn Stars.

Rogar
4-15-14, 8:13am
It is on my list to watch, but haven't gotten to it. Even though it is singing to the choir, I imagine most of the choir is guilty as charged, myself included. Our American way of life is hardly carbon net zero, and there is always something more a person can do.

I sometime wonder if we could be in a Dickens like story and take a visit to the future, say fifty or a hundred years from now, and then come back, how we might change our lifestyles or how governments might lead differently. If the predictions come true there could be some significant loss of life and suffering from food and water shortages. We seem to think in a pretty short sighted way.

razz
4-15-14, 8:23am
OK, as part of the choir, I have to acknowledge climate change but also that there is a clear limit what can be done by the individual.
I have a Toyota Prius V, a garden, energy-efficient home, sew and knit, careful how I spend my money, limit my travel (although I did go away for a week in March).

CathyA
4-15-14, 9:33am
Rogar.........you're right. It makes me stop and think of how much I am part of the problem too. Just wish my DH didn't have to drive 25 miles each way to his business, in an SUV (because we live so far out, he needs it in the winter, for sure). Our closed loop geothermal makes me feel good, but there are so many more different choices I could be making that would help the earth.......Like my choices of food, clothing, activities, etc. So I definitely know that I am part of the problem too.
It's hard (~whine~) to be simple in this culture. The whole basis of it working is to consume, consume, consume. And it's pretty darned scary to think that other countries what to be just like us. And finding the truth when buying is getting harder and harder.

I watched part of the premier of the series, and it was pretty scary.........especially with Texas having the drought it's having, and some people thinking it's God's will and there's nothing for mankind to change.

They showed the temperature of the entire U.S. in future years (if it continues on it's present course), and the entire place was red.......which is too hot to grow much of anything.

I don't know............is watching this series just like turning on the news every day and getting REALLY depressed??? Especially when we have children and grandchildren..........and what is in store for them.

oldhat
4-15-14, 10:24am
I watched the program on the Showtime website, where it's available for free (http://yearsoflivingdangerously.com/). I thought it was a bit bland, or at least I wouldn't describe it as compelling. Maybe the producers felt they needed to spend time describing the basic problem, so I didn't feel like I came away having learned anything I didn't already know. And little time was devoted to describing the kinds of worst-case scenarios that are looking more and more likely with each passing year. Maybe this will change as the series goes on.

I wish I could be more cheerful on this subject, but I see little cause for optimism. I just finished reading a book, "Windfall," by McKenzie Funk. It describes in depressing detail how some of the same people who are most responsible for global warming are arranging to profit from it. Ultimately, of course, we're all responsible. I suppose the only people who really have a right to complain about climate change are those like the activist Jim Merkel (http://www.radicalsimplicity.org/jim_merkel.html), who for years has adopted a more-or-less Third World lifestyle, living on $5,000 a year. People don't want to face the fact that this is what most everyone in the First World needs to do. Of course, that ain't gonna happen.

Gardenarian
4-15-14, 11:04am
OK, as part of the choir, I have to acknowledge climate change but also that there is a clear limit what can be done by the individual.
I have a Toyota Prius V, a garden, energy-efficient home, sew and knit, careful how I spend my money, limit my travel (although I did go away for a week in March).

Amen! We have a culture and economy based on supplying massive amounts of cheap consumer goods. These programs need to address the roots of the problem.

Gardenarian
4-15-14, 11:05am
I wish I could be more cheerful on this subject, but I see little cause for optimism. I just finished reading a book, "Windfall," by McKenzie Funk. It describes in depressing detail how some of the same people who are most responsible for global warming are arranging to profit from it. Ultimately, of course, we're all responsible. I suppose the only people who really have a right to complain about climate change are those like the activist Jim Merkel (http://www.radicalsimplicity.org/jim_merkel.html), who for years has adopted a more-or-less Third World lifestyle, living on $5,000 a year. People don't want to face the fact that this is what most everyone in the First World needs to do. Of course, that ain't gonna happen.

+1

catherine
4-15-14, 11:25am
I suppose the only people who really have a right to complain about climate change are those like the activist Jim Merkel (http://www.radicalsimplicity.org/jim_merkel.html), who for years has adopted a more-or-less Third World lifestyle, living on $5,000 a year. People don't want to face the fact that this is what most everyone in the First World needs to do. Of course, that ain't gonna happen.

Yeah, I love Merkel's book, and I have done his ecological footprint quiz and I get so discouraged because despite my Prius, local-food eating (no meat), wearing heavy sweaters inside, buying second hand, etc., etc., I still come out at having a footprint over 3 times my share. I agree that we might as well put ourselves on the endangered species list.

Rogar
4-15-14, 11:54am
Amen! We have a culture and economy based on supplying massive amounts of cheap consumer goods. These programs need to address the roots of the problem.

Indeed. There is only so much one person can do, but it is worth the effort to at least try. Considering China's dependence on cheap fossil fuels and the growing global population, which is the elephant in the room, it is going to take some leadership from the world's governments.

ApatheticNoMore
4-15-14, 12:08pm
It describes in depressing detail how some of the same people who are most responsible for global warming are arranging to profit from it. Ultimately, of course, we're all responsible.

"we're all responsible" always let's the actual guilty parties (those who have actual power to change things - whoever could I mean - why corporations and those who profit from them (especially environment destroying corporations of course) and their bought and paid for politicians) off WAY too easily. Perhaps only responsible for not doing more to stop them, but they're still primarily responsible. The economic growth we're told we desperately need, only a tiny sliver of the population even sees (real wages aren't up in decades etc.). But environmentally destructive "growth" would be so regardless of whom benefited? But of course. But the lie is we're being told it benefits most of us and that isn't even true even in the short term (maybe globally? maybe ..). I'm pessimistic enough about my own lack of a long term future due to environmental collapse. Why anyone would bring kids or grandkids into such a future I don't even know (because assuming pregnancy is planned, it tends to be a very compartmentalized part of the personality probably).

razz
4-15-14, 3:01pm
Well, I did Merkel's footprint evaluation of my life style and I use half of the amount of resources for residents in Ontario so I am making a difference in my choices.

oldhat
4-15-14, 3:30pm
"we're all responsible" always let's the actual guilty parties (those who have actual power to change things - whoever could I mean - why corporations and those who profit from them (especially environment destroying corporations of course) and their bought and paid for politicians) off WAY too easily. Perhaps only responsible for not doing more to stop them, but they're still primarily responsible.

"We're all responsible" means exactly that--it doesn't let anyone off the hook. It's easy to blame greedy corporations, and they certainly deserve their share of the blame. But do you use the products they provide? Do you own stock in their companies through mutual funds in your 401K? I do.

In the immortal words of Pogo: "We have met the enemy, and he is us." Or Tolstoy: "Everybody thinks of changing the world, but nobody thinks of changing himself."

Gardenarian
4-15-14, 5:05pm
I went to the website for this series (as I don't have TV) and it looks fairly good. I signed on as an educator and hope that I will be able to view it at some time.

A while back I was talking about how I'm fixing up my attic as a family/guest room, with one of my goals to have a place to show important film screenings and have discussions. If this works out, I may use "Years of Living Dangerously" as a start. My attic is shaping up (slowly.)

Gardenarian
4-15-14, 5:24pm
"We're all responsible" means exactly that--it doesn't let anyone off the hook. It's easy to blame greedy corporations, and they certainly deserve their share of the blame. But do you use the products they provide? Do you own stock in their companies through mutual funds in your 401K? I do.

In the immortal words of Pogo: "We have met the enemy, and he is us." Or Tolstoy: "Everybody thinks of changing the world, but nobody thinks of changing himself."

First of all, I try not to buy products from evil corporations and certainly do not invest in them.

Secondly, WE as individual citizens are not responsible for the crimes of corporations or corporate sponsored government. Let's not quibble among ourselves over carbon footprints.

If you personally feel responsible for climate change, well, okay.

razz
4-15-14, 5:54pm
A while back I was talking about how I'm fixing up my attic as a family/guest room, with one of my goals to have a place to show important film screenings and have discussions. If this works out, I may use "Years of Living Dangerously" as a start. My attic is shaping up (slowly.)
This is a great idea! Something for me to think about as I don't watch TV so have signed off on the satellite service but I could use the TV for this task as well as the movies that I occasionally watch.

Rogar
4-15-14, 6:41pm
First of all, I try not to buy products from evil corporations and certainly do not invest in them.

Secondly, WE as individual citizens are not responsible for the crimes of corporations or corporate sponsored government. Let's not quibble among ourselves over carbon footprints.

If you personally feel responsible for climate change, well, okay.

In the USA transportation and electricity account for about 50% of our carbon emissions. I don't think just driving a Prius and recycling coffee cups is going to make a big difference, but there are things everyone can do to help. Sometimes I think the enormity of the problem equates to something like one of the great wars, where everyone chipped in together and made big differences with how natural resources are allocated, but it came down to more than just a few simple changes. I recall some stories from old timers about gas rationing during WWII where most people had a ration of 5 or 7 gallons a week. And that was when cars got 10 or 12 MPG. I suspect it will take some sort of major natural calamity to bring the issue to action. Collectively the individual consumer can affect both transportation and electricity use, but it also has to involve good leaders and more responsible businesses.

ETA: I ran across an article recently that claimed somewhere between 5 and 15% of greenhouse emissions related to global warming are a result of tourism per a United Nations study. When you talk about eliminating people's vacation travel, things get a little touchy. I have friends who buy carbon off-sets as part of the cost of vacation, which is sort of like sinning and then asking forgiveness. But is better than no carbon off-sets at all.

HappyHiker
4-18-14, 9:48pm
Just finished reading The Sixth Extinction. We've royally screwed ourselves. The earth will heal eventually, but we as a species? Not so much.

CathyA
4-19-14, 6:58am
Just finished reading The Sixth Extinction. We've royally screwed ourselves. The earth will heal eventually, but we as a species? Not so much.

Sounds like The World Without Us. by Alan Weisman.

catherine
4-19-14, 7:08am
Geez, I just saw a video on the Sixth Extinction or read about it somewhere. Hmm.. can't remember where now, but I had the exact same impression, and that's what my permaculture teacher always said. The biomass will always be here while we go the way of the dinosaurs. Somehow when we get this close to snuffing ourselves out some of the Bible stories take on more relevance. I know a lot of people have criticized the movie Noah because it's more of an environmental message than a religious one--but then there's the story of the Tower of Babel, and Sodom and Gomorrah.. seems God or the Universe or Whoever resets our crazy ambitions and ruthless behavior has been there throughout history to make sure the earth is protected, by stomping out the garden pests (us).

CathyA
4-19-14, 10:20am
I'm not a religious person.........but I often picture today's humankind as dancing around the golden calf. And I think a very insightful person wrote the story of Adam and Even and being thrown out of the Garden of Eden ........because this earth was a garden of eden....until man started to ruin it.

HappyHiker
4-20-14, 8:59pm
Interestingly, this morning a friend sent me a link to this most excellent article in the NYT magazine: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/20/magazine/its-the-end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it-and-he-feels-fine.html?_r=0

Worth a read...but if you don't care to read it, a summation is that a well-known environmentalist has given up on the futility of trying to arrest the outcome of climate change. Seems it's a runaway locomotive careening down the track...no matter what we do at this point. The challenge is how to live our lives knowing this is the case.

Me? I'm taking a bucket list trip and blowing some cash I'd targeted for old age. If my future's going to suck, figure I can create some more pleasant memories to fall back on.

JaneV2.0
4-21-14, 11:23am
I read the article and came away with the impression that Britain's environmental activists are either elitists with the means to escape to the country or just completely daft...

It's hard to imagine the world as we know it coming to an end while living in an urban forest in a corner of a vast country with huge swaths of uninhabited land with a slow-growing population that's only growing at all because of immigration. I do my part, but with the insight that whatever happens, the planet will go on perfectly well without me.

ApatheticNoMore
4-21-14, 11:47am
Well I wont' take a bucket list trip as planes are so wasteful, even if it makes no difference I just can't, only if the bucket list trip can be done via Amtrak or boats maybe. If I knew the world would end in exactly x years I'd do the one thing I really want to do and it's not take a trip - it's just not to work a job, period. I'd quit my job if I knew I had money to last until the end of the world.

HappyHiker
4-21-14, 4:22pm
It's not difficult for me to imagine the world as we know it coming to an end with so many trees all over the planet now dying and so many land and sea species going extinct. Never have so many gone extinct or endangered in such a short period of time.

And that's without taking into consideration the "weather weirding" that's been going on.

Sure the planet will continue on--but not as we know it...I do believe "a hard rain's gonna fall."

Gardenarian
4-21-14, 5:54pm
For over 200 species a day, it's already the end of the world. (According to some accounts, as in Science magazine, nearly 400 species per day - 140,000 per year become extinct.)

I am not sure that the earth will even survive. Not if great amounts of methane are released into the atmosphere, which might be a consequence of polar ice melt. It could become too hot to support any form of life. Not if there are more Fukushima-type disasters. Nope.

And if civilization fails, what's going to happen to all those nuclear bombs?

CathyA
4-21-14, 8:29pm
I think I should quit reading this thread. It's making me really sad. :(

HappyHiker
4-22-14, 2:57pm
You're right, Cathy, it IS sad..what man hath wrought.

ApatheticNoMore
4-23-14, 1:20am
Worth a read...but if you don't care to read it, a summation is that a well-known environmentalist has given up on the futility of trying to arrest the outcome of climate change. Seems it's a runaway locomotive careening down the track...no matter what we do at this point. The challenge is how to live our lives knowing this is the case.

Ok I was reading some more stuff related:
http://www.thenation.com/blog/179375/let-earth-day-be-last
http://grist.org/climate-energy/i-withdraw-a-talk-with-climate-defeatist-paul-kingsnorth/

And I don't get why "giving-up philosophers" are so popular. Ok maybe it's hopeless, I don't know, I don't think many do. But the *popularity* of the "giving up" position is some deep subterranean cultural thing or something it seems. Sure if you've been an activist for 20 years like that guy it's fine to step off the scene and let someone younger or whatever take the job (thinking you alone can do a job is a very strange narcissism indeed anyway. If not us then who? Well yes that is the locus of responsibility, but it doesn't mean that saving the world is entirely up to you and only you, that's a bit much). But the "walking away" position seems wildly popular even in those that haven't burned themselves out with activism, that's why it seems deeply culturally programmed.

If my future's going to suck, figure I can create some more pleasant memories to fall back on.

depends on how bad it sucks, just poverty in old age then sure, memories of the good old days, but I don't think anyone in enough physical pain is that much comforted by memories (if one is starving to death in the future say - because hey nowhere supports crops anymore). Maybe if the future is going to suck meditate (may not help that much with pain either, helps with fear perhaps, and with battle :) ).

HappyHiker
4-23-14, 8:37am
Why is the giving up philosophy popular? Good question. One that perplexes me, too. But I do understand.

When I was researching my futuristic book, I did a lot of reading/research on climate shift and emerging global problems connected with man's role in planetary pollution. This was 3-4 years ago. The body of information (by respected scientists, ecologist, environmentalists, climatologists) was alarming. I thought, "Surely, we'll begin to take action -- how can we not?" Look at all the evidence.

But as the years went by since then, I saw a lot of debate, but precious little action here in the U.S. Or China. Or India. The forest continued to topple, toxic chemicals spread on our crops, fossil fuels our chosen energy source...We continued down the road of resource depletion and continued pollution in every imaginable form -- all based on a belief system (or so it seems) by the controlling interests that we can continue to pillage and deplete to our heart's content.

One by one, as I read, as new information came out, one by one, much of my hope vanished. Technology wasn't going to save us, recycling my bottles and paper wasn't going to save us...no, the enormity of the shift was proceeding--and proceeding rather more quickly than even the top scientists had first postulated.

It was then my optimism changed to what? Pessimism? Some of that, sure. Or maybe realism...

And sure, I'm sad...but I'm not sitting around in a gray, sullen funk. A part of me still has hope. As long as the robins sing and the flowers bloom--there is hope.

But Earth Day? Really? One day a year we honor Earth. The other 364 days of the year we put our garbage into her atmosphere, land, and oceans. No wonder we're in the fix we're in.

catherine
4-23-14, 8:59am
Happy Hiker, I read your book, which actually gave me a hopeful glimpse into what could be on the other side of "enviro-geddon". I wouldn't mind living in the type of community in your book that might rise from the ashes once people are forced to "get it" like your heroine finally did!

HappyHiker
4-23-14, 9:49am
Happy Hiker, I read your book, which actually gave me a hopeful glimpse into what could be on the other side of "enviro-geddon". I wouldn't mind living in the type of community in your book that might rise from the ashes once people are forced to "get it" like your heroine finally did!

Thanks for reading my book, Catherine. Yes, it was my hopeful foray into the future...glad that you picked up on that. And yes, the new community created was one I'd love to live in, too...

Thanks for reminding me of hope on the horizon. There are some glimmers of potential that excite me...the tiny house movement, for one...

Gardenarian
4-23-14, 1:55pm
APN, kind of a funny question on a simple living forum, the heart of simple living being a kind of withdrawal from culture in itself. I'm finding that in these times, simple living is not enough.

Not everyone is giving up, but everyone who is reading the deep science on climate change is aware that serious repercussions are coming sooner rather than later, that in fact they have started to come home already. See the latest IPCC Report (http://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar5/wg2/) (commonly called the doomsday report.) (It's easiest to read the summary for policymakers.)

Yet, there is a solution to stop climate changed caused by burning fossil fuels, agriculture, and deforestation. Yes, stop burning fossil fuels, stop agriculture as we know it, stop deforestation. There are people working to achieve these ends.

I am not eager for TEOTWAWKI, as it is called, and I doubt there will be a sudden apocalypse. I think a more likely scenario is the long descent, as described byJohn Michael Greer in his book "The Long Descent: A User's Guide to the End of the Industrial Age" (http://www.amazon.com/The-Long-Descent-Users-Industrial/dp/0865716099).

Post-apocalyptic fiction and end of the world scenarios are popular for obvious reasons - our culture already sucks, and people want out.

ApatheticNoMore
4-23-14, 3:28pm
APN, kind of a funny question on a simple living forum, the heart of simple living being a kind of withdrawal from culture in itself.

maybe :)

I'm finding that in these times, simple living is not enough.

I don't know that I ever wanted to entirely withdraw from the world except in ocassional moments (maybe when I'm approaching death I will ... :~) ). But withdraw from mainstream consumerist brainwashing sure (to an extent, I still live in this culture and I'm merely human).

I am not eager for TEOTWAWKI, as it is called, and I doubt there will be a sudden apocalypse. I think a more likely scenario is the long descent, as described byJohn Michael Greer in his book "The Long Descent: A User's Guide to the End of the Industrial Age" (http://www.amazon.com/The-Long-Descent-Users-Industrial/dp/0865716099).

maybe. Even those who talk about a long descent probably hope to fair better than many of those in the poorer parts of the world will likely.

HappyHiker
4-23-14, 8:21pm
I often wonder how different North America might be if Europeans never arrived to colonize and plunder our resources...? And if we had an organizing principle of humanization rather than capitalism? Would we be living in an eden--or not?

CathyA
4-24-14, 7:05am
I often wonder, if the American Indians were the only ones who ended up living on the continent, what it would look like today? Maybe it's in every homo sapien's nature to eventually ruin things?
I just don't know where the problem started. I guess it only takes a few aggressive ones to get the capitalism ball rolling, and then the masses follow.

razz
4-24-14, 7:48am
If you read Charles Mann's book, 1491, you will discover that societies collapsed due to human overload in the early Americas before Europeans as well.

Humanity has survived catastrophe before and will again so I simply do my part to live lightly and peacefully in harmony and carry on. The Serenity Prayer or similar really helps me to cope with today and the future.

meri
4-24-14, 7:50am
I believe that even Native American people were perfectly capable of plundering their own resources and suffering the consequences. Only there was not so many of them and the land there was able to still support the population overall even though some cultures fell and nature was locally devastated - somewhere it recovered and somewhere it never did.

Look at the Pueblo culture for example (I think it was the Pueblo Bonito ? )

I don't think that regretting that "what if" scenario did not happen is of much use. We will never be able to tell how would the life evolve in America hadn't Europeans came there. Maybe some form of population explosion and technical revolution would inevitably happen even without them. But Europeans did come there and the world is in the state it is in and that's what we have to deal with.

CathyA
4-24-14, 9:14am
I wouldn't worry nearly as much, if I didn't have children. The thought of them and their children facing the consequences of today's actions really upsets me.
But I know we could be hit by an asteroid today, so it's probably best to just live in a way that is gentle, and teach our children to do the same. But I think that's alot easier for us older people to say.......since we have so much already, and are almost tired of having so much.

I think in terms of what we are genetically programmed to do..........hunt and gather.....and I think because of the sheer number of people and the way our culture has "developed".......it is exactly that hunter/gatherer program in us that pushes alot of people to seek out more and more stuff and gather it in. Too bad it isn't just nuts and berries anymore.

HappyHiker
4-24-14, 4:23pm
I wouldn't worry nearly as much, if I didn't have children. The thought of them and their children facing the consequences of today's actions really upsets me.
But I know we could be hit by an asteroid today, so it's probably best to just live in a way that is gentle, and teach our children to do the same. But I think that's alot easier for us older people to say.......since we have so much already, and are almost tired of having so much.

I think in terms of what we are genetically programmed to do..........hunt and gather.....and I think because of the sheer number of people and the way our culture has "developed".......it is exactly that hunter/gatherer program in us that pushes alot of people to seek out more and more stuff and gather it in. Too bad it isn't just nuts and berries anymore.

I think you've hit on an important point, Cathy...our hunter/gatherer atavistic urges have been subjugated to gather in "stuff" rather than food...of course, some of us also gather in food and store it in our freezers and pantries... I'm trying not to do that so much...I seem to panic when my cupboard is almost bear of beans...I have this thing about beans...could be worse, could be kitties or old newspapers...

Does anyone else feel their hunting and gathering has gone amiss?

CathyA
4-24-14, 4:32pm
Sometimes I wonder when I get the urge to go shopping, if I made myself go out in the woods and just look for something........like a certain shaped rock. Would that satisfy me? I know that sounds silly, but what I mean is, are there more harmless things we could be searching for that would satisfy our need to search? I go way overboard with storing groceries.

HappyHiker
4-24-14, 5:59pm
Works for me...sometimes. Maybe it will work for you, too. But when you need new shoes, it's kind of hard to tape those rocks to your feet (lol)

Here's an essay I wrote about Gathering Stones: http://vibrantvillage.com/2010/01/18/gathering-stones/

catherine
4-25-14, 9:42am
I just saw this on my Facebook feed from a member of my "More Beautiful World" Facebook group. I thought it was a very insightful and positive way to look at our current "problems":

Many of the things that look like 'disasters' in the world at the moment are only so from the narrow perspective of the disconnected self. From the perspective of the 'Big Self', the connected self, they are opportunities to create a better world. From this larger perspective the end of economic growth is not a disaster, 'peak everything' is not a disaster, the end of Western hegemony in world politics is not a disaster, they are all opportunities to build a more abundant and connected world.
The coming end of economic growth, 'peak everything'and related issues force us to recognize that we are limited and dependent on each other. Recognizing that we are limited is not a bad thing. It is a great gift, a chance to step out of the 'nightmare of history' and to step out of the delusion of unlimited power. The only real 'problem' we have is that we have yet to realize that what we currently perceive as 'problems' are in fact solutions

HappyHiker
4-25-14, 9:53am
That seems a valid observation...as it says, we are dependent on each other. Just saw the documentary entitled Happy. One of the key points made was that after basic needs were met, more money and "stuff" did not bring increased happiness. What did? Strong community connections and interdependence on one another.

dmc
4-28-14, 4:18pm
I havn't watched the show or read any of the articles, but how much time do we have left? I'm planning on buying waterfront property in Florida in the next few months. Also if the end of the world is going to happen soon I don't need to be saving so much money for my old age.

ApatheticNoMore
4-28-14, 4:35pm
Also if the end of the world is going to happen soon I don't need to be saving so much money for my old age.

Yes that's probably quite right, but it depends on how old one is I guess. At my age I think that's probably right, I may not need to save much for my old age at all. But certainty is hard to come by in this world and one may not regret having a little money set aside.

CathyA
4-28-14, 5:07pm
Hmmm.......but the waterfront property might be underwater property in the not-too-distant future. :0!

dmc
4-28-14, 5:47pm
Hmmm.......but the waterfront property might be underwater property in the not-too-distant future. :0!

How much has it gone up in the last 30yrs? How many are having to move so far.

Spartana
4-28-14, 6:27pm
I havn't watched the show or read any of the articles, but how much time do we have left? I'm planning on buying waterfront property in Florida in the next few months. Also if the end of the world is going to happen soon I don't need to be saving so much money for my old age.You might also want to be concerned with sinkholes. Saw something on TV last night (maybe the new Cosmos) about how much of the US sits on limestone and how many sinkholes can form over those areas. They showed the areas of limestone in red - and the entire state of Florida (every sq. mile) was completely red and ripe for giant sinkholes. Or in green:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_kPEtXsk68lk/SP9JdEUKk4I/AAAAAAAAEGA/ww8lZdx3USM/s400/fig1.gif

dmc
4-28-14, 7:09pm
Its always something. I'll let the insurance man worry about the sinkholes. Most of the homes are 9-10' above sea level so there is some room there. And I'll be buying a boat. And come hurricane season I'll just hop in the plane and go visit my son in Chicago.

Spartana
4-30-14, 1:22pm
I don't think insurance companies cover sinkholes. I think they fall in that uncovered "natural disaster" category and you'd probably have to buy special "Sinkhole" insurance. But then I'm just guessing. Would be interesting to find out though. I'm always surprised at the number of things that a homeowners insurance policy doesn't cover. Out here in the earthquake, wildfire, mudslide, and flood prone west we need to buy separate policies for each thing. And for some things, like wildfires and mudslides, you can't even get coverage. I have an earthquake policy but that's really all I have to deal with where I live now.

OK just looked it up (the things that interest me when I'm stuck in doors all day...sigh) and here's one link amongst many: http://ezinearticles.com/?Florida-Sinkholes---Insurance-Coverage&id=7580546

dmc
4-30-14, 2:33pm
I guess I'll just live dangerously.

Spartana
4-30-14, 2:40pm
I guess I'll just live dangerously. A Rebel Without A Cause...to buy insurance that is :-)! Yeah my earthquake policy is pretty crappy with a very high deductible - around $15,000 I think, maybe more - and costs about $350/year. I don't think it covers anything in the house or my costs to live elsewhere while my house is being repaired (or torn down) so is just for the replacement costs itself. Probably worthless for the most part but the house is my biggest asset and most of my finances are tied up it in so better safe than sorry.

I wonder what people in hurricane and tornado ravaged areas have for insurance? Last I heard you couldn't buy insurance coverage for those either.

dmc
4-30-14, 3:22pm
Tornado,s are covered here, earthquake is extra. Hurricane is extra where I'm looking. I haven't priced insurance yet, I know some just self insure, I know my dad did on his place down there. It just depends on the cost, it's not like the land is going anywhere.