PDA

View Full Version : Speak out against air dropping 1080 poison your help needed

new2oregon
4-19-14, 11:31am
My sister lives in New Zealand. In 6 weeks there is scheduled to be another air dropping of 1080 poison in the effort of animal control. Please visit this web site and post your support. http://www.paws4acausenz.com/.

Most of the world has banned this poison. Dropping poison on the Earth is not the answer to animal control. There are links to great videos showing the Horses, birds, dogs, that get killed from this. The people of New Zealand need world support to stop this. The DOC in New Zealand says its safe. If this was happening next to where you lived and your animals, your drinking water was in danger you would try to fight it.

This web site is not looking for money. Just needs people to get involved, speak up, spread the word. I will not buy any New Zealand products or travel to New Zealand,

When this poison gets dropped over and over it has to get in the food chain.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. John Desclos La Grande Oregon.

Gardenarian
4-19-14, 12:05pm
That is just horrible. Why are they doing this? What "pests" do they hope to destroy?

ApatheticNoMore
4-19-14, 12:28pm
Hmm, pretty serious stuff if they are using it to control possums and rabbits (mammals afterall). I mean it reminds me of the malathion sprayings (on urban areas) in California, but that was merely intended to kill fruit flies (and the malathion seems it may have been a response to a deliberate introduction of the fruit flies - possible biological terrorism). I'd tend to imagine anything powerful enough to kill a mammal might be worse than that for humans.

"it remains a contentious issue, with the majority of the debate occurring between conservationists and livestock farmers on one side and hunters and animal rights activists on the other"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080_usage_in_New_Zealand

now those are some odd bedfellows. Of course in boycotting New Zealand the supplies of the pesticide actually come from the U.S. 'Sodium fluoroacetate is imported in a raw form from the United States" (really unsurprising there - ok who? Monsanto, Dow? (main manufacturers of agent orange) Who makes this stuff?)

creaker
4-19-14, 12:46pm
Hmm, pretty serious stuff if they are using it to control possums and rabbits (mammals afterall). I mean it reminds me of the malathion sprayings (on urban areas) in California, but that was merely intended to kill fruit flies (and the malathion seems it may have been a response to a deliberate introduction of the fruit flies - possible biological terrorism). I'd tend to imagine anything powerful enough to kill a mammal might be worse than that for humans.

"it remains a contentious issue, with the majority of the debate occurring between conservationists and livestock farmers on one side and hunters and animal rights activists on the other"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080_usage_in_New_Zealand

now those are some odd bedfellows. Of course in boycotting New Zealand the supplies of the pesticide actually come from the U.S. 'Sodium fluoroacetate is imported in a raw form from the United States" (really unsurprising there - ok who? Monsanto, Dow? (main manufacturers of agent orange) Who makes this stuff?)

According to wikipedia: The only company now producing 1080 is the Tull Chemical Company in Alabama USA

iris lilies
4-19-14, 2:02pm
My sister lives in New Zealand. In 6 weeks there is scheduled to be another air dropping of 1080 poison in the effort of animal control. Please visit this web site and post your support. http://www.paws4acausenz.com/.

Most of the world has banned this poison. Dropping poison on the Earth is not the answer to animal control. There are links to great videos showing the Horses, birds, dogs, that get killed from this. The people of New Zealand need world support to stop this. The DOC in New Zealand says its safe. If this was happening next to where you lived and your animals, your drinking water was in danger you would try to fight it.

This web site is not looking for money. Just needs people to get involved, speak up, spread the word. I will not buy any New Zealand products or travel to New Zealand,

When this poison gets dropped over and over it has to get in the food chain.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. John Desclos La Grande Oregon.

I purposely don't sign on web signature-gathering efforts, I think they are ineffectual responses and as such may do more harm than good.

"The World" has far less influence than local citizens in that country. Why aren't the New Zealand citizens taking this on? They put pressure on their politicians and it will stop, if they exert enough of it. If there is an opposing side exerting more pressure--well. That's a problem for their side.

new2oregon
4-19-14, 3:05pm
90 percent of the people voted against this and they still poison the land. They will not listen to their own people. Until the world gets involved and it hurts their exports or the tourist industry its not going to stop. The reason they want people to sign is to show real people are getting behind this. I posted my name on this site as I am 1 person trying to help out. This fight in New Zealand has been going on for years. Thanks for at least reading my post.

new2oregon
4-19-14, 3:19pm
Creaker, Tull Chemical Company makes it yes. A congressman has tried to stop this 2 times with no luck. New Zealand has a 10 year supply. Money and greed is involved.

Apatheticnomore, Yes they are trying to control possums and scotes. This is like using an atom bomb to control mice. If you go to the web site and watch some of the videos and see how a horse dies or a cow. There is no cure if they ingest this poison.

Gardenarian
4-19-14, 3:29pm
What is a scote?

new2oregon
4-19-14, 5:02pm
Gardenarian, I meant stoats its a rat like creature that eats the native birds.

gimmethesimplelife
4-20-14, 3:51pm
90 percent of the people voted against this and they still poison the land. They will not listen to their own people. Until the world gets involved and it hurts their exports or the tourist industry its not going to stop. The reason they want people to sign is to show real people are getting behind this. I posted my name on this site as I am 1 person trying to help out. This fight in New Zealand has been going on for years. Thanks for at least reading my post.New Zealand is amazing to me. I just read online that Nigella Lawson, a British (I believe?) cooking celebrity was recently denied admission to the United States for a brief period of time to film a show in LA due to admission of prior cocaine use (Hello, the commander in chief fesses up to it) but New Zealand let her in after at first delaying her application due to not be admitted in the US. New Zealand granted her an exception and she will be flying in to do a commercial for chocolate cakes there. So if they can be so forgiving and humane where America can't, why can't they knuckle under and listen to their own people on this? I just don't get it.....Rob