PDA

View Full Version : Packing/travel advice? - 2 week England trip

Gardenarian
4-19-14, 3:23pm
I'm planning a trip to England with my dd. We're going to London, Oxford, Bath, Stonehenge...

We're going in June and from what I can find out the average temp is around 65-70 degrees. What would you pack for a two week trip? I don't want to be weighed down by luggage. What do you think would be the best kind of bag? I have a small rolling bag (carry-on size) or would a duffle bag be easier to manage/hold more? I would love to not have to check my luggage.

I tend to dress very casually, but I won't be wearing my usual sweats/shorts/leggings.
I'm hoping to do laundry at least once. We'll be staying in inexpensive hotels.

My cell phone will only work on wi-fi in England, but I will be bringing it (and a plug adapter.) DD will bring her phone too.

My thoughts were:
(For my carry-on)
5 undies
5 pair socks
2 pants (my work pants - comfortable but nice looking - one brown linen, one black cotton knit)
Jacket (nice hoodie)
Small umbrella? (or buy if needed?)
1 bra
1 tank top (black)
1 fancy shirt
1 button down white blouse
2 short sleeved shirts
1 lightweight cardigan
1 pair of shoes (I can only wear my black Keen Presidio's right now anyway)
1 scarf (large)
1 sleep shirt
Toothbrush/paste/floss
Hat?
Spare reading glasses
(Of course I'll be wearing some of this on the plane - t-shirt, hoodie, shoes, scarf, etc. so not everything on the list has to fit in the bag.)

(For my small backpack)
Paperback book
Tiny journal/2 pens
Phone/charger/plug adapter
Large handkerchief
Ear plugs
Meds
Face cream and sunblock (put in small containers)
Reading glasses
Wallet/passport
Foldable shopping bag (nylon, folds tiny)
Water bottle (I carry a steel one but may get a plastic one for this trip.)

I'm planning on using a credit card whenever possible, but should I get some money changed before I go? How much?

All advice is greatly appreciated! I haven't traveled overseas in quite a while and I'm sure I'm forgetting things. (I keep telling myself, yes, they have stores in England.)

Mary B.
4-19-14, 4:40pm
They do indeed have stores :) and I'd leave the umbrella-having to them.

I wonder about the linen pants? In my experience linen wrinkles if there is a person near it, and thus isn't a great candidate for packing. I wonder about shirts for the same reason. Knits are very non-wrinkly and usually what I pack.

The main thing I focus on when I am packing is colour -- everything needs to go with everything else, or at the very least there cannot be anything that Must Be Worn Only With One Other Garment.

Have a wonderful trip! It sounds terrific.

sweetana3
4-19-14, 4:54pm
One of the comments about clothes is make sure everything fits, is clean, and can be worn at least 3 times. Take two bras unless you are not counting the one you are wearing on the plane so one can be washed while you wear the other one. One pair of shoes on and another one in case of water issues.

Otherwise, you have packed about what we are taking next week when we go to France.

I dont worry about checking bags. Especially now that hubby has a walker due to knee issues. I love the bags (of all sizes) that have four wheels. They take the weight off your shoulders and you can stack a small tote or other second bag on top while waiting or moving. Very light ones on the market.

best book every for packing: http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Packing-Todays-Traveler-Foster/dp/0970219679/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1397940754&sr=1-1&keywords=smart+packing

Watch the newer requirements for in cabin carry ons. Some airlines are getting very tight about them due to issues and delays in loading and unloading passengers.

Best books I have found for travel on your own are Rick Steves guides. We got one for France and Paris. Very helpful and full of ideas for things to do like walks and bus tours using public transportation. The second in line is Lonely Planet guides but they seem more for the young adventurous types with experience.

CeciliaW
4-19-14, 5:18pm
A second recommendation for Rick Steves' guides. We've gotten very good value out of them, as mentioned the walking tours are a great thing. Also he has loads of information on his website. Google Rick Steves and enjoy!

lmerullo
4-19-14, 5:25pm
A second pair of shoes is a must. Maybe flat sandals?

How about workout clothes or a swimsuit? Although I guess you could be doing lots of walking.

Besides the hoodie, did you have a windbreaker type jacket? Semi - water resistant.

Socks? At least a pair for the flight / to sleep in would be something I would need

CeciliaW
4-19-14, 5:33pm
Oh Wait! I forgot something you should take to London with you.

ME!

;)

You'll have a great time.

Dhiana
4-19-14, 7:07pm
"If it doesn't fit in carry-on then I don't need it" - dhiana

That's how I travel. One rolling carryon and a very small backpack/purse.
My must pack list is Passport, CC and lots of clean underwear. Seriously, most places I've traveled there is shampoo, socks, umbrellas, etc available just in case I forget something so I don't worry too much about forgetting something.

Laundry Soap? A small bit of prepackaged purchased from hometown coin laundry/$1.00 store maybe the way to go. Coin Laundry places have been spotty for having soap available and grocery stores usually just carry the big containers. Although I have simply used other kinds of soap such as shampoo or castille soap instead.

Water Bottle - I have seen these refillable water bottles taken by security. Even when they are completely empty. I've gone through security and then purchased a bottle of water only to have it taken away at a minor secondary security check right before boarding a plane. I've also gone through security check points with a brand new, unopened, full bottle of water with no problems after it was checked on some machine. Whatever way you choose to bring your water bottle in, expect it to be taken. Feel lucky if you get to keep it.

Airports have ATMs now so as soon as I get through customs/immigration stuff I seek out an ATM and just get my funds that way.

Have a great time on your trip!

iris lilies
4-19-14, 7:13pm
The last time I went to the UK I found at Goodwill a pair of black silk pants to take with me. The silk was a thin fabric and matte. Great for washing at night in the hotel and dry the next day. And yeah they were a little wrinkly. So what.

Ah, I remember whne my parents took us to the UK. I was 16. They let me run around on my own. I look back at that and am awestruck by the freedom that they gave me. But I was very serious about seeing certain things in London and in whatever cities we stopped in so it's not as though I was out looking for trouble. I had a watch, I knew that I had to be back at X time.

catherine
4-19-14, 8:39pm
That sounds like so much fun!

I think your list looks good, but I agree that linen is maybe not the best idea. I would go with something wrinkle-resistant for sure. And I also second keeping to ONE color scheme.

You said you're bringing a jacket--the best would be a lightweight waterproof jacket with a hood. Then you can skip the umbrella (or you can bring one of thos little ones).

I also like the idea of the small foldable bag. I bought one of those in Paris and it's come in very handy.

Don't forget an AC adaptor.

How about a travel book like Lonely Planet?

And don't bother getting money changed here. Go to the ATM at the airport after you get off the plane.

Rosemary
4-19-14, 9:52pm
Timely discussion as we'll be packing soon too for a longer trip.
I've never had an empty water bottle taken by security. We have traveled w/ both stainless and plastic. Will probably go with plastic on our upcoming trip to save weight for dayhikes.

I say, take the umbrella. Odds are you'll need it and it will cost a lot more there. One pair of shoes is what I do. Shoes are heavy and take up lots of space.

I agree about linen... not a good travel fabric.
I'm focusing on shirts that will dry quickly as I plan our packing, so that I can wash in the sink and dry on hangers in cool, damp weather. So heavier cotton shirts are out, thinner shirts with a light cardigan or two are in.

I always pack a windbreaker. And I nearly always use it. It's not stylish but it's way better than being wet or freezing from wind.

I don't know if credit cards are similar in the UK to Europe, but in Europe they are not nearly as commonly accepted as here in the U.S. Larger hotels and chain stores there take them, but many businesses will charge a 5% fee or not accept them. I suggest checking the network on your ATM card to see if you can use that in the UK to get cash from an ATM.

Other things to consider:
- eye mask for sleeping on airplane or napping while trying to get over jet lag
- RF-protecting wallet or small pouch for passports and credit card/ATM card (theft of RFID is reported to be a serious issue in airports)
- how to make your backpack thief-proof, which seems to be a big problem in many large cities (slashing of pockets or straps)
- I pack castile soap for laundry in a small plastic toiletry bottle.
- Plan to pack soap for the shower and/or handwashing, too. Not standard in Europe to supply soap/shampoo.
- Check the weather the day before you leave and adjust accordingly. Last time we were in Europe it was May and there was a heatwave that set all-time records. Having packed for typical weather, we roasted in our spring-weight long sleeves and long pants (and there was no a/c anywhere).
- CAMERA!!!

shadowmoss
4-20-14, 9:33am
http://www.onebag.com/

This site got me started on my quest to pack small for trips. Worked pretty well, but I've mostly stayed in the States on these kinds of trips. Back and forth to Honduras I usually was trying to get a lot of stuff either there (because I couldn't get it there) or back.

fidgiegirl
4-20-14, 10:39am
Lots of good advice. I was going to say bring a pair of flip flops for going around in the hotel or if your feet need a break from the one pair of shoes and you are going somewhere simple/not out all day. But if I remember you had a foot surgery or something so you know your foot needs!! :)

HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!

iris lily
4-20-14, 2:54pm
When I go to the UK no matter the time of year I never seem to get the coat thing right. I suppose that the best kind of coat is a water shedding (but not water proof) jacket. The water proof ones would likely be too hot for me. I always go coat shopping at the thrift stores for overseas travel. The last time we went to Scotland we went in July and there were plenty of cool days, evenings, and rain. I thought I was so smart and got a cotton jacket in a plaid. While it was nice looking, it soaked up rain and was wet most of the time. :(

I don't know if you need a hat, but then, I tend not to wear them. Do you wear on normally, and for what reason? I wear sunglasses to block the sun, I don't use a hat for that.

If you normally use an umbrella, then take a foldup one. Agreed that they can be expensive over there. Me--I never take an umbrella but I will say that when my traveling companions had umbrellas for downpours, I did stand under them.

One good tip about underwear that I read somewhere: save your old worn out underwear for these trips, then don't bring them home.

Alan
4-20-14, 3:37pm
One good tip about underwear that I read somewhere: save your old worn out underwear for these trips, then don't bring them home.
We did that the last couple of times we visited Europe, it doesn't save a great deal of space on the return trip but it didn't make a whole lot of sense to cart dirty underwear from one continent to another.

We learned a lot on our first two week trip to Europe (England, France, Austria, Germany). We took along the modern day equivalent of a steamer trunk and several carry-on bags. As we moved from city to city, as well as from airport to hotel, that huge trunk was a real problem trying to negotiate narrow train aisles and long flights of steps to and from subways. By the time trip #3 or 4 came around, we were travelling with two carry-ons only. We found that we really didn't need as much as we thought we might.

We also found that by about 2000 or so, there wasn't any need to worry about exchanging money. A debit card and the ready availability of ATM's on practically every street corner made it easy to get what you need, when you need it.

mira
4-20-14, 4:29pm
I don't know if credit cards are similar in the UK to Europe, but in Europe they are not nearly as commonly accepted as here in the U.S. Larger hotels and chain stores there take them, but many businesses will charge a 5% fee or not accept them. I suggest checking the network on your ATM card to see if you can use that in the UK to get cash from an ATM.

- Plan to pack soap for the shower and/or handwashing, too. Not standard in Europe to supply soap/shampoo.*

- Check the weather the day before you leave and adjust accordingly. Last time we were in Europe it was May and there was a heatwave that set all-time records. Having packed for typical weather, we roasted in our spring-weight long sleeves and long pants (and there was no a/c anywhere).

I agree about the linen pants, unless they're blended with cotton, they'll be permanently wrinkled. Plus, British summers can be erratic so you may find it too chilly to wear them.

As for credit cards, they're accepted almost everywhere in the UK apart from in small shops which might require a minimum £5 transaction. Another thing to note is that American Express is not always very widely accepted.

In hotels of all standards, basic toiletries are generally supplied. You'll always get one of those tiny bars of soap anyhow. Maybe this isn't true of some hotels in continental Europe, but in the UK it's a given unless you're staying in a hostel or basic guesthouse.

The "summer" weather here is very unpredictable so I definitely second checking the forecast right up to the last minute. It's not always warm, nor consistently so. The air doesn't generally warm up like in other countries, so it may only be warm in the sun :) There is the occasional "heatwave" that might last a few days though.

Dhiana
4-20-14, 5:45pm
Snacks! I always bring some snacks such as crackers or an apple. There have been too many delays on planes and at airports for me to go too long without decent food. Hating to pay high airport prices for food, bringing some snacks works for me.

You can usually bring what you want you want on the plane, just remember that you may need to leave things such as uneaten fresh fruit behind on the plane as the next country may not allow it entry.

Gardenarian
4-21-14, 1:59pm
Thank you all for your replies! Much appreciated.
Does anyone have an opinion on the rolling suitcase vs duffel bag? Like not having to lift things, but on the other hand a duffel bag is more squashable - possibly easier to take on buses and trains.
What do you think?

shadowmoss
4-21-14, 2:07pm
Read the website I mentioned above, he has definite opinions on the subject. At least it will give you food for thought on the subject.

Tradd
4-21-14, 4:06pm
You might look into a convertible bag. These have shoulder strap as well as tuck away backpack straps. I have one from LL Bean and love it. Rick Steves recommends these types of bags. They are available on ebags.com.

frugal-one
4-21-14, 5:41pm
We always take a rolling duffle bag. Works great!

Gardenarian
4-21-14, 5:43pm
Thanks for the links - still not sure. onebag.com recommends an unstructured bag.
I don't travel a lot so I don't want to buy something new.

Tradd
4-21-14, 8:39pm
Thanks for the links - still not sure. onebag.com recommends an unstructured bag.
I don't travel a lot so I don't want to buy something new.

These are unstructured bags. I use packing cubes and a packing folder to give my LL Bean bag some structure, but with the cinch straps on the sides, I can still make it smaller. Fits well in an overhead.

iris lilies
4-21-14, 10:15pm
I think wheels are the best, but I always wonder if one of them will fall off. I buy cheap suitcases and so perhaps the wheels aren't the best. But they've seen me through several trips to the U.K. Besides, the rolling suitcases seem to always have a side handle, right? Just musing here.

If you don't want to check your luggage, ok, I won't make you, but any more I always check luggage because others are not. It's hell getting things jammed into overheads. Back in the day when everyone checked luggage, I did not. I'm contrary that way.

iris lilies
4-21-14, 10:21pm
Snacks! I always bring some snacks such as crackers or an apple. There have been too many delays on planes and at airports for me to go too long without decent food. Hating to pay high airport prices for food, bringing some snacks works for me.

You can usually bring what you want you want on the plane, just remember that you may need to leave things such as uneaten fresh fruit behind on the plane as the next country may not allow it entry.

The Department of Ag Beagles caught my half eaten apple in the bottom of my bag once in the States on the way home from Europe. They are so cute. It was entertaining to have them pull me out of the long line, it added interest to an already boring time.

iris lilies
4-21-14, 11:32pm
I wouldn't take a travel book. I would read up on the areas before hand. I've been known to photo copy key pages out of a travel book, but that's usual superfluous. All of the places where the OP is going will have scads of slick handouts about the sights.

Dhiana
4-22-14, 9:08am
My bag is from REI, a wheeled soft on 3 sides carry-on that has backpack straps. The best of both worlds. Interestingly enough, I have had it for 9 years and have NEVER used the backpack straps. The wheels are of the tougher rollerblade variety and I can bounce it off of curbs and over uneven terrain.
I could see a wheeled duffle bag working well also.

Ditto what IL said regarding the guidebook. Books are heavy. I usually get guidebooks from 2nd hand stores so I'll just rip the pages out I want to use or print out the updated info from the internet if necessary.

mira
4-26-14, 6:27pm
I would go for the duffle bag if you don't mind carrying it. Wheelie bags are a pain in the neck and add a lot of extra weight.

I usually take a travel backpack (a 'tall' one that ties at the top). So much easier to move around with and it can be taken as carry-on.

Oooh as for travel books, leave them at home. You could photocopy any pages you need but I would strongly advise you to taje advantage of the local tourist information offices. They'll give you all the suggestions and info you need. Have a look at visitengland.com to find locations

sweetana3
4-27-14, 9:52am
I am on a 3 week trip to France right now.

Take a four wheeled very small rolling suitcase. Pack things in zip lock bags to easily get them in and out of the suitcase. You can squish them to get the air out. Now that we did not follow his advice, please read Rick Steves packing info on line and take it from me he is on the right track. You do not need what you will want to pack.

My backpack is heavy and a waste and the folding tote I packed at the last minute is used every day. The backpack actually has too many segments and I can never find what I need when they fall into the bottom. The suitcase I flip open and shirts and pants are on the left and the bags of underwear and personal items are on the right. Easy access. Zip lock bags are cheap and useful for so many things. For packing the 2 gallon ones are great and they are found at the grocery store.

I used Rick Steves Paris book every day we were in Paris. I got it on Amazon because I wanted the newest edition and it comes on Kindle. Some people in our group complained about finding things quickly on the Kindle version and you might want to hold it while walking if following his walking chapters. So many of the other books were almost all about sleeping and eating and I wanted sightseeing info.

befree
4-27-14, 8:57pm
I have Chico's Travelers outfits, jacket and pants, one in black and one in brown, along with Traveler's tops in prints with black and brown, so all goes with all. They never wrinkle, can be hand-washed, and dry overnight. Ridiculously expensive if you buy them new in a Chico's store, but all mine came from ebay. These 2 pants outfits and 3 or 4 tops will scrunch up into very little space, and you can dress it up with a long jersey scarf that can also serve as a headwrap or a shawl. Doing laundry half-way through is great - can you verify which hotel has a laundry room, so you can definitely plan on this? As for a suitcase, I would go with a rolling bag without a doubt. Carrying a heavy weight slung over a shoulder or pulling down on my shoulder is more exhaustion and struggle than I want to deal with anymore. If you end up taking 2 bags (which I think a 2-week vacation probably warrants), split the contents so you have some clothes and underwear in each bag - in case the checked bag gets lost. Put all must-haves, like essential toiletries and all meds, in your carry-on.

Spartana
4-28-14, 4:26pm
What I usually bring is a small carry-on convertible backpack. One that can work as either a suit case or a backpack and also has the extended handle and wheels. I can't remember the brand I have off hand but it also has an expandable section to make it larger if needed (for all those duty-free purchase on return :-)!).

For clothes I am very basic. One pair of dark (black usually) walking shoes (usually trail- running tennis shoes) and a pair of slip on sandals that can be worn with anything. Then I bring a few changes of dark colored clothes (couple pairs of pants, couple pairs of shorts, couple pair of capri's and a few nice tee shirts) that have a blend of synthetics to make them light to carry, non-wrinkling, and easy to wash and dry fast. Just mix and match them and wash and wear as needed. One jacket and one sweater (which I usually wear on the plane with the shoes and one "outfit" so not so much bulky stuff left to put in carry-on).. I also bring a "little black dress" that isn't too low cut and has sleeves so I can wear it out at night as well as to places like churches, etc... Also bring a pair of nice leggings to wear under it in case it's cold or not appropriate to wear a shorter dress out. Bring about a weeks worth of undies (lyrca ones as they can be hand washed an dry fast - same with bras and socks), something to sleep in (tee shirt and shorts).

I bring one very tiny make up bag with just the basics and just pick up shampoo or whatever else I need once I arrive.

Gardenarian
5-17-14, 3:11pm
Thanks for all your suggestions folks!

A question: Do you wear a wrist watch when you travel? I don't normally where one, but I'm thinking it will come in handy (I don't even know if my phone will change time zones, and it's a pain to be always pulling it out anyway.)

sweetana3
5-17-14, 3:32pm
I wear a wristwatch and have a small battery operated alarm clock. Note that we were on a group tour and did not want to be late for anything. Otherwise, not as critical. But if you are catching trains or trying to figure out when the bus will come, a wristwatch is helpful. (not an expensive one).

Tradd
5-17-14, 3:42pm
I always wear a watch. A $35 Timex from Target. I have one of the Indigo ones, which means the face will illuminate when you push the stem. Nice feature when you wake up in the middle of the night in a strange hotel room.

This is my watch.
http://www.target.com/p/timex-lady-large-numbers-watch-with-date-black-gold/-/A-10561256#prodSlot=medium_1_17&term=women+timex

iris lilies
5-17-14, 4:22pm
I always wear a watch. A $35 Timex from Target. I have one of the Indigo ones, which means the face will illuminate when you push the stem. Nice feature when you wake up in the middle of the night in a strange hotel room.

This is my watch.
http://www.target.com/p/timex-lady-large-numbers-watch-with-date-black-gold/-/A-10561256#prodSlot=medium_1_17&term=women+timex

I get Timex watches from Target, too. I probably spend that amount, but somehow in my mind Timex watches should be $19.95. Guess I'm living in 1973.

I love that illumination feature, DH taught me that. I wear my watch to bed. I buy men's watches because the face is so big, easy to see the number. And my last purchase was the best one ever--cloth wristbands! I LOVE that! They can be put in the washing machine. They "breathe" unlike plastic and leather bands.

Gardenarian
5-18-14, 1:01pm
Thanks! I'll get a new battery for my watch then. Getting very excited about the trip!

happystuff
5-18-14, 1:42pm
The watch discussion prompted me to go buy a watch - lol. I've been needing one with an alarm and I really like Timex. Unfortunately, the Timex selection at my Target was not that great, however I did get a Casio meeting my requirements and for that iris lilies 1973 price of $19.99 - lol. Pre-sales tax that is. Thanks to everyone who posted. I love all the travel item suggestions.