PDA

View Full Version : Sicily

Cypress
4-22-14, 10:19am
I am interested in traveling to Sicily next year for a week's vacation. I'd love to hear from someone that's been there and how it was. It sounds like it might be okay to rent a car and get around in that way. I've hear bus service is or isn't the best choice. I think they do not have the train system as well as other areas of Italy. Also, I am a woman and may be traveling alone, are there any cautions I should hear about now.

I can speak a little, read and write okay in Italian. Enough at least to get around and order lunch.

I am planning to visit Taormina, Agrigento and Marsala.

Flic
4-22-14, 11:11am
I used trains around Sicily, and I found it OK. In my opinion, the whole of Italy isn't great for trains, but I suppose that is part of the experience. Renting a car would of course give you more freedom, and there are some wonderful drives. Having a car will also give you more freedom if you want to work and travel. I don't know if you are planning this but its what me and my mate did when we went. Grape picking and that kind of thing. We even gave tours in Rome at one point! But then I think you are from the States? So it would have to be cash in hand work I assume. I have friends who have done a similar thing in the States using this website - http://www.green-card.com/ - helping them acquire working visas for a few months or so. Also offers help in entering into Greencard lottery. But I don't know if there is an EU equivolent .... Worth checking out. If not, they are usually pretty causual in Sicily regarding giving quick temp work.

Nothing especially to worry about as a lone woman - at least nothing more than you would any where else in Western Europe.

Gardenarian
4-22-14, 2:59pm
My sister and her dh rented mopeds while they were there. They thought that was the best way to travel around - and they had a blast.