PDA

View Full Version : Zen Proverb

Xmac
5-1-14, 3:08am
Let go or be dragged.

I had to make that decision when I tried to waterski once. The choice was give in or have more water gushing up my nose at 35mph.

catherine
5-1-14, 7:01am
That's what they tell you in Al-Anon, more or less.

CathyA
5-1-14, 7:38am
That's a good proverb. Yes, it even applies to water skiing. :)

Spartana
5-1-14, 12:09pm
Let go or be dragged.

I had to make that decision when I tried to waterski once. The choice was give in or have more water gushing up my nose at 35mph.Or find that inner strength to push on and overcome. If people like MLK and Gandhi et al... just let themselves be dragged by the status quo or gave up and let go it would be a different world (and not in a good way) for many people. Yeah they have to get some proverbial "water up the nose" but often enduring those hardships in order to over come injustices - rather than just be dragged along or just giving up - is the price to be paid.

lucas
5-1-14, 6:11pm
Or find that inner strength to push on and overcome. If people like MLK and Gandhi et al... just let themselves be dragged by the status quo or gave up and let go it would be a different world (and not in a good way) for many people. Yeah they have to get some proverbial "water up the nose" but often enduring those hardships in order to over come injustices - rather than just be dragged along or just giving up - is the price to be paid.

Hi there! I'd say it's a question of what you let go of... MLK and Gandhi let go of almost everything else so that they could remain upright and resolute in the face of injustice... similarly, by letting go of their need for comfort, approval and security, they were able to fight on through all the troubles that came their way without it becoming hellish for them... letting go of one thing can make your grip on another much stronger...

Xmac
5-2-14, 2:13am
... letting go of one thing can make your grip on another much stronger...

Yes, grip on truth, for example.

lucas, I isolated the above but your entire post resonated with me very strongly.