PDA

View Full Version : Movie reviews for 2011

Lainey
1-1-11, 7:19pm
Watched "Grey Gardens" on DVD. Based on the true story of the eccentric (probably mildly mentally ill) mother-daughter cousins of Jackie Kennedy. A riches-to-rags story of their life together in the East Hamptons.
Great acting by Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange.

kib
1-1-11, 7:56pm
Watched "Grey Gardens" on DVD. Based on the true story of the eccentric (probably mildly mentally ill) mother-daughter cousins of Jackie Kennedy. A riches-to-rags story of their life together in the East Hamptons.
Great acting by Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange.Did you know there is actually a biographical documentary of the same title that stars Edith Bouvier-Beale and Edie Beale in the setting of the real Grey Gardens? 1975, it's available on Netflix. They are not actors and they're not well, so it's not very good as entertainment, but it's quite moving, and fascinating as the real back-story for the new movie.

kib
1-2-11, 1:59pm
Just a note: I have no idea why this thread was "closed" for a while, it certainly wasn't on purpose. Learning curve, learning curve learning curve! :confused:

AmeliaJane
1-2-11, 3:26pm
I finally saw Toy Story 3 over the holiday break. Beautifully done, like all the Toy Story series, and a satisfying resolution, but very poignant too. Do the Pixar executives require their filmmakers to make us cry at least one per movie? Anyway, highly recommended.

Anne Lee
1-2-11, 5:27pm
I saw True Grit yesterday. Violent. Bloody. Well acted and directed. I was told that the dialogue came straight from the book so it takes refining the ear to catch it.

Since I don't like violent, depressing movies, I can't say I liked True Grit. But it was an excellent movie if that's your thing.

softweave
1-2-11, 9:11pm
I watched "Temple Grandin" on DVD over the weekend. It's a dramatization of the early life of an autistic woman who is famous for understanding livestock behavior and designing humane animal facilities. This movie is a riveting account of the struggles she and her mother went through to enable to her to develop into an person who can function effectively in the world.

Lainey
1-2-11, 9:35pm
Go see "The King's Speech" - sure to win an Oscar for either/both Colin Firth as King George VI and Geoffrey Rush as his speech therapist. Based on true story of the King as a stammerer and his ascension to the English throne as WWII is breaking out.

kib - thanks for the heads up about the documentary on the Beales. It's actually part of the Grey Gardens movie so I knew there was one, but I didn't know Netflix had it.

iris lily
1-2-11, 11:25pm
Temple Grandin's work was fascinating, wasn't it? And this production and Clare Dane's performance was very good.

I loved the King's Speech as well, it's in my top 3 films of the year.

iris lily
1-2-11, 11:28pm
Toy Story 3 was great, it's also in my top 3 films of the year.

They are: The King's Speech
Toy Story 3
Social Network

Azure
1-3-11, 3:32pm
We just watched a Claire Danes movie also. On New Years Eve we watched Stardust. A very charming movie. Even my 18 yr. old son enjoyed it.

Jilly
1-3-11, 4:37pm
I watched Management last night. It was billed as a romantic comedy and I chose it only because I was running out of time before the library closed, it was easily found on a cart the reshelvers were using, and I like Steve Zahn.

Not only does this film, which I had never heard of before, have some of the best, practically brilliant, throw-away dialogue, but it is a finely nuanced examination of relationships, romantic, familial and companionable. Clever, thoughtful, thought-provoking, a quietly disciplined story.

Anyway, it was not the film I expected it to be. It was so much more that I am going to borrow it again, after I have had time to think about it for a while. I really cannot remember the last time this has happened to me. Nice.

earthshepherd
1-3-11, 4:45pm
I saw True Grit yesterday too. I loved it. The young actress in the lead role is astoundingly good! I didn't much care for all the shooting and violence either, but I could see it again just to watch that little girl in action. Wow!

Tenngal
1-5-11, 7:20pm
Gray Gardens was very disturbing to me for some reason and I still could not stop watching. I hope to see True Grit soon.

madgeylou
1-5-11, 8:01pm
on the plane back from scotland, i watched "salt," an action thriller type of thing starring angelina jolie which was diverting but didn't make a lot of sense, and "coco before chanel," starring audrey tatou from "amelie" as a young coco chanel. i really enjoyed this one -- loved the scenery and clothes and the story. also i think i could look at audrey tatou being adorable forever.

The Storyteller
1-5-11, 8:55pm
"The Fighter" with Mark Wahlberg, Christian Bale, and Amy Adams is probably one of the best boxing movies I have ever seen (and that includes Raging Bull and Rocky), probably because it isn't so much about the action in the ring as out. In fact, the title has a double meaning, and what happens in the ring is merely a metaphor for what happens out.

The fight scenes are most certainly the best I have ever seen in a film. Very realistic. I followed Micky Ward's career and remember most of the fights reenacted in the film.

Bale's performance was astounding. Just superb. And I don't even care for him, particularly.

SoSimple
1-5-11, 9:08pm
I watched "Temple Grandin" on DVD over the weekend. It's a dramatization of the early life of an autistic woman who is famous for understanding livestock behavior and designing humane animal facilities. This movie is a riveting account of the struggles she and her mother went through to enable to her to develop into an person who can function effectively in the world.

I recently watched that on HBO (in my hotel room - I don't bother with cable at home). Thought it was excellent and well worth my time. I was already familiar with her story, but this really helped to bring how she sees the world into focus for me.

The Storyteller
1-5-11, 9:16pm
I'm a big Temple Grandin fan, have read a number of her books and even own a couple on animal behavior. I just saw the film the other night and loved it.

softweave
1-8-11, 7:00pm
I very much recommend "The King's Speech" about the efforts of Britain's King George 6 to overcome stuttering. That doesn't sound like much of a story. However, the film is full of humor and triumphs over personal limitations and was superbly acted by Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush and many others.

Poco Pelo
1-8-11, 8:29pm
i saw The Tourist last week. The script itself was mediocre but the movie is shot in Venice. And for that reason i recommend it

Eggs and Shrubs
1-9-11, 5:30am
I very much recommend "The King's Speech" about the efforts of Britain's King George 6 to overcome stuttering. That doesn't sound like much of a story. However, the file is full of humor and triumphs over personal limitations and was superbly acted by Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush and many others.

Just been to see it and despite it's unlikely premise is rather moving and funny. Incidentally, one of the scenes was filmed at the home of my favourite football team Leeds United.

JaneV2.0
1-9-11, 6:53pm
In one of Oliver Sacks' books, Grandin describes herself "like an anthropologist on Mars." I often share her bafflement at what I observe around me. The rich tapestry of life and all.

puglogic
1-15-11, 12:00am
Strangely, we just watched "Twelve Angry Men" with Henry Fonda. Very enjoyable, but made me wonder whether things would be different if that movie were made today :|(

iris lily
1-15-11, 1:50am
We just watched a Claire Danes movie also. On New Years Eve we watched Stardust. A very charming movie. Even my 18 yr. old son enjoyed it.

I saw this at the video store tonight. Picked it up and put it back down. Now I'll ve have to get it, thanks! I love Michelle Pfeiffer and she is in this.

I've pretty much consumed all of the dvds I want to see. The film world is bleaker and bleaker in few releases I want to see. I wander around the video store,looking for something. My main supplier, the library, buys all of the costume dramas that I like but I have to wait my turn.

Eggs and Shrubs
1-24-11, 2:16am
Just to return to "The King's Speech." I was unaware of the role the King played in wartime Britain. Churchill's speeches and those by Ernest Bevin are much more well known. It struck me that a seemingly flawed King who with wit and determination managed to achieve greatness was a perfect metaphor for the British people's achievements in the early 1940s. Clearly, Colin Firth will receive the plaudits but Michael Gambon as the old King George has a voice like no other.

The Storyteller
2-12-11, 9:54pm
Just to return to "The King's Speech." I was unaware of the role the King played in wartime Britain. Churchill's speeches and those by Ernest Bevin are much more well known. It struck me that a seemingly flawed King who with wit and determination managed to achieve greatness was a perfect metaphor for the British people's achievements in the early 1940s. Clearly, Colin Firth will receive the plaudits but Michael Gambon as the old King George has a voice like no other.

I finally saw this today. Very good film. Rush wasn't bad, either.

Eggs and Shrubs
2-27-11, 5:35am
Channel Four in the UK have just broadcast a documentary covering the same ground as the The King's Speech called, unsurprisingly, The Real King's Speech. It is really interesting particularly the interviews with Lionel's other patients.

King George is quite convincing in the role of Colin Firth!

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-real-kings-speech

Hope the link works.

iris lily
2-27-11, 9:44am
This year I'm not passionate about any of the Oscar films nor is there one that will tick me off as a winner as in past years like Avatar--if that thing had won I would have been annoyed.

I think Social Network will pull off the Oscar, it's so American, and that's fine with me. It was good entertainment. My favorite film of the year is The King's Speech and I'm surprised it's getting the buzz that it is getting.

iris lily
2-27-11, 9:46am

King George is quite convincing in the role of Colin Firth!

ha ha ha ha!

Lainey
3-6-11, 2:23pm
Watched "Georgia O'Keeffe" on video. Originally a made-for-TV movie. Loved the cinematography, the period look of the 20s and 30s, and as always, the wonderful performances by lead screen actors Joan Allen and Jeremy Irons.
Also made me want to visit Taos, NM.

Tweety
3-9-11, 4:35pm
My DD and I saw The Adjustment Bureau last weekend and enjoyed it. It starts out as a sweet romance and morphs into a sci-fi fantasy. Starring Matt Damon, what more can I say?

Bastelmutti
3-9-11, 5:19pm
Just saw The Adjustment Bureau - it's a romantic sci-fi movie. Yup! If you are a fan of either genre, you will probably be entertained, as I was. People who don't like to suspend disbelief, probably not. I would give it a B.

Lainey
3-23-11, 8:50pm
More a 'preview' than a 'review', but the documentary "I Am" is coming to Phx next Friday 4/1. Here's a peek:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1741225/

Tiam
3-23-11, 10:30pm
I saw this at the video store tonight. Picked it up and put it back down. Now I'll ve have to get it, thanks! I love Michelle Pfeiffer and she is in this.

I've pretty much consumed all of the dvds I want to see. The film world is bleaker and bleaker in few releases I want to see. I wander around the video store,looking for something. My main supplier, the library, buys all of the costume dramas that I like but I have to wait my turn.

Stardust was better than I imagined. I hate the name and it kept me away for years.

Zigzagman
3-23-11, 10:58pm
"The Fighter" with Mark Wahlberg, Christian Bale, and Amy Adams is probably one of the best boxing movies I have ever seen (and that includes Raging Bull and Rocky), probably because it isn't so much about the action in the ring as out. In fact, the title has a double meaning, and what happens in the ring is merely a metaphor for what happens out.

The fight scenes are most certainly the best I have ever seen in a film. Very realistic. I followed Micky Ward's career and remember most of the fights reenacted in the film.

Bale's performance was astounding. Just superb. And I don't even care for him, particularly.

Just saw "The Fighter" last night - excellent movie. Truly an Oscar performance by both Bale and Melissa Leo (remember her from "The Young Riders"?) and her excellent hair.

Bale is one of the young actors that will be with us for decades.

Peace

Kat
3-25-11, 9:54pm
We watched The Fighter, too. DH is a huge Mickey Ward fan, and he really liked it. I thought it was a good movie, but the language and sexual content was a bit more than we are used to.

We just watched The Tourist last night. It was a decent movie. It had been compared to Hitch**** films (which I love), so I had to see it. I don't think it came anywhere near the genious of Hitch****, but there were definately some Hitch****-type elements in it that were a lot of fun.

The Storyteller
3-27-11, 1:06am
We watched The Fighter, too. DH is a huge Mickey Ward fan, and he really liked it.

Ditto. I thought it the most realistic fight film I have seen.

Amusing you object to the language but then must be censored.

Float On
3-27-11, 7:59am
Finally got around to seeing Winter's Bone which was filmed near here and my husband knows a few of the 'extras' and musicians.
The boys and I saw Red Riding Hood in the theater the other day. We so rarely go to the movies that it's a treat no matter what we see. I actually liked it better than I thought I would.

Kat
3-27-11, 10:18am

Amusing you object to the language but then must be censored.

Haha! Agreed! ;-)

Simone
4-1-11, 8:12pm
Winter Bone - True grit without the paternalism - excellent
The Fighter - excellent, but not better than Raging Bull. Bale and Leo are superb. I have been watching her career for two decades, and look forward to watching his.
The King's Speech - Haven't seen it yet, and will view it with some skepticism after reading Christopher Hitchen's review of it as "a major desecration of the historical record—now apparently gliding unopposed toward a baptism by Oscar."
http://www.slate.com/id/2282194/pagenum/all/#p2

iris lily
4-2-11, 12:20am
The King's Speech - Haven't seen it yet, and will view it with some skepticism after reading Christopher Hitchen's review of it as "a major desecration of the historical record—now apparently gliding unopposed toward a baptism by Oscar."
http://www.slate.com/id/2282194/pagenum/all/#p2

gee, it's just a film. It's entertainment. Did that movie reviewer mistake the movie house for a history class? Give us a break.

Simone
4-8-11, 8:43pm
gee, it's just a film. It's entertainment. Did that movie reviewer mistake the movie house for a history class? Give us a break.

Iris, he is not a movie reviewer. He's, well, he's Christopher Hitchens.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Hitchens

Controversial, learned, and a great wit.

I'm always interested to read what he has to say on just about any subject, even if some of what he writes riles me up, as the essay above may you.

AmeliaJane
4-8-11, 9:36pm

This comment re: The Fighter....I just read an interview with Mark Wahlberg where he said that for the fight sequences they hired an HBO crew that films real boxing matches instead of the usual film crew. They did the fight scenes in 3 days instead of the 35 it would take filming in more traditional fashion. The HBO crew is used to filming live fights and catching action they aren't expecting, so they thought filming a sequence where they knew exactly was about to happen was super-easy.

AmeliaJane
4-26-11, 9:56pm
Not by any means a recent movie, but I just watched the old movie "Soapdish" with Sally Field and Kevin Kline, about soap stars whose offscreen life is just as melodramatic as their show. A scene at the end where Kevin Kline is trying to read a teleprompter without his glasses made me laugh so hard I almost cried. Warning--there is a LOT of scenery chewing in this movie, given the actors and the material. (And check out a very young Robert Downey Jr)

redfox
4-27-11, 12:48am
We just watched Note by Note, on Netflix. http://www.notebynotethemovie.com/

Incredible. Beautiful. Highly recommended.

beckyliz
5-2-11, 1:47pm
Took DD to see Red Riding Hood at the $2 show yesterday afternoon - I actually enjoyed it, even though it didn't get good reviews. I loved the scenery and the period clothing/setting of it and just trying to figure out who the wolf is. I was so wrong. Now I want to see it again so I can catch the clues.

iris lily
5-2-11, 9:14pm
beckyliz, that sounds great. I do love certain films for their art direction and the trailers for RRH looked gothically interesting.

The Storyteller
5-8-11, 8:32pm
I saw Thor today. He was the first superhero I actually liked (yeah,I know he was a god, but I met him as a Marvel superhero). I thought most superheros were too vanilla as a kid (now I know it is because of that stupid censor system where they changed all the gritty heroes of the 40s into good two-shoes), but Thor was more complex and conflicted.There were several departures from the original comic concept, but for the better I thought.

I know it is probably beneath most folks here, but I have a weakness for superhero movies, especially their backstories about how they became superheros.

It lagged in a few places, and a couple of characters could have used some depth (I swear if Natale Portman's character looked at him with that swoony expression just one more time I would have reached through the 3D screen and slapped her), but still, a good action yarn.

Like the rest of the Avengers lead-in films (Hulk, Iron Man, etc.), be sure to stick around through the credits for the little teaser for the next addition to the Avengers (I'm assuming Captain America).

The Storyteller
5-8-11, 8:48pm
This comment re: The Fighter....I just read an interview with Mark Wahlberg where he said that for the fight sequences they hired an HBO crew that films real boxing matches instead of the usual film crew. They did the fight scenes in 3 days instead of the 35 it would take filming in more traditional fashion. The HBO crew is used to filming live fights and catching action they aren't expecting, so they thought filming a sequence where they knew exactly was about to happen was super-easy.

Well, it showed. Roger Ebert said they were the most boring boxing scenes he had seen, but th at is because he is so used to the melodramatic Rocky crap. For an ex-fighter like me, that stuff is like watching a scene with very over-the-top acting.

That one scene where he decked the guy with a body shot, I remember that fight!

Mickey Ward was one of my favorite fighters of that period, and his wars with Arturo Gatti masterpieces of the Sweet Science.

AmeliaJane
5-9-11, 12:31am
I liked "Thor" too. I was in the mood for a fun popcorn movie and that was exactly what it was. Thor was well-cast, I thought-the actor managed to be heroic without taking it all too seriously. I prefer my comic book movies non-broody...

pinkytoe
5-9-11, 10:23am
I am looking forward to Tree of Life - a Terence Malick film that debuts soon. It has been many years in the making and the plot sounds interesting.

The Storyteller
5-9-11, 5:25pm
I liked "Thor" too. I was in the mood for a fun popcorn movie and that was exactly what it was. Thor was well-cast, I thought-the actor managed to be heroic without taking it all too seriously.

The next action film I am looking for is Conan the Barbarian, who I also met as a kid, although this time through fiction as opposed to comics. Along with Edgar Rice Burroughs, Robert E. Howard was one my favorites as a teen.

Just looking at the trailer, this version looks far more faithful to the stories than the Arnold fiasco.

AmeliaJane
5-11-11, 11:38pm
OK, I just watched "Burlesque" with Christina Aguilera and Cher, which should have been terrible, and was oddly...fun. Nothing too awful happens to anyone, the singing and dancing is done with lots of enthusiasm, and although the acting is mediocre, it's not bad enough to ruin the fun. (You do have to be OK with some scenery-chewing...there is nothing subtle about this movie). And surprisingly non-racy for a movie about Burlesque dancers--there's one fan dance number but you don't see anything explicit. In fact, it's a PG-13 rating, and I would agree with that.

iris lily
5-12-11, 12:12am
I watched MarWencol tonight, a documentary. Interesting story about a guy who creates a miniature European town with dolls and with them acts out repeatedly scenes from WWII. This is his therapy after he was beaten up and suffered brain damage.

treehugger
5-12-11, 12:11pm
I watched The Switch last night. I would certainly have steered clear of this wacky concept "rom-com" if not for a review I read (by a reviewer I tend to agree with) that said ignore the stupid premise and see the movie for a sensitive piece on growing older, growing up, lasting friendship, and accepting oneself and other's neuroses. He was right. It was a sweet (but not sentimental), funny, touching, meaningful movie. That happened to have a contrived setup and a romantic focus.

Kara

beckyliz
5-14-11, 7:58am
thanks! I wanted to see this, but was put off by the reviews! This sounds like good, mindless fun.

Edited to say, I meant to reply to the Burlesque movie review aboe.

Spartana
5-16-11, 5:30pm
I watched MarWencol tonight, a documentary. Interesting story about a guy who creates a miniature European town with dolls and with them acts out repeatedly scenes from WWII. This is his therapy after he was beaten up and suffered brain damage.

Wasn't that amazing?! I don't have a TV so watched it at my sister's and just couldn't belive it. Very enchanting, scary (with his obsessions) and charming all at the same time. Wonder what he was like before his beating? He was a very accomplished graphic artist.

AmeliaJane
6-5-11, 9:24am
I came to this party very late, but I saw "Inception" yesterday on DVD. Very interesting, and totally worth the time to watch. This is one I wished I had seen with someone else, since the filmmakers were playing with some interesting questions, and I would liked to have talked over the ending in particular. Sometimes with DVDs I will do chores etc while watching, but this is definitely a movie where you want to pay very close attention, especially when they are explaining the rules of the universe, or you will be lost.

I also kind of wished I had seen it on the big screen. The effects must have been stunning, and according to my post-movie Googling, relatively little was CGI by modern standards. I think there was some backlash on this one after it turned out to be a big success, but if I had paid full price in a theater I would have considered it well-spent.

iris lily
6-5-11, 10:40am
If you think the world needs another Jane Eyre film adaptation, you should watch this one. Perfect casting of an actress who is "plain and small" but captivating, although Mr. Rochester is a bit too captivating for someone who is not supposed to be all that attractive.

The brooding atmosphere provided by the Yorkshire moors is lovely. This is really the only gothic novel worth reading although I suppose it is not classically gothic because it ends "happily" although I wish that Jane had run off to sunny Spain with her new fortune, rather than taking on that sick old man and his hulking ruin.

I had to laugh, the guy sitting behind me at the movie theater answered his wife's query "well, what are we to conclude from that ending?" with "they will use Jane's money to fix up the old house and will then open a bed and breakfast inn." ha ha.

AmeliaJane
8-7-11, 6:26pm
So I decided this was going to be my "Summer of Movies." Every summer I look at those "Movie Preview" articles and see a bunch of things I might like, and then by September I have gotten to maybe one of them. But I'm living in a new city, don't know too many people here and need to get out of the house, so I have been hitting the discount matinees.

Seen: Thor, X-men First Class, Super 8, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II, and Captain America. Still to see--"The Help" if the reviews are decent. (By the way, I do like other movies besides blockbusters, it's just that mostly that's what's available at this time of year since I'm not a fan of most movie comedies.)

Thor I mentioned earlier in this thread. I went with zero expectations because I had heard good word of mouth, and enjoyed myself thoroughly. X-men First Class was the same. I haven't cared for the other Xmen movies, but I love the 1960s period style and a number of the actors. I had a good time. Super 8 disappointed me the most, I think because I had the highest expectations (and maybe was expecting something different from the trailer). The reviews who talk about there being two stories, one a teen coming-of-age story and one an "alien science fiction" story,that don't blend together well have it right. I think I was expecting something like the creepiness of Signs from the trailer. I was actually looking at my watch during this one. Harry Potter I hadn't been planning to see, and then the combination of seeing the first part on DVD and thinking about my memories of seeing the other movies in the series made me decide to wrap up the series with a big-screen showing. I was happy I had. It was a beautiful movie, fun to see all those actors in character for the last time. I was glad I hadn't seen Part I in the theater though--I think I would have been frustrated to break off the action and leave it for a year. Captain America I saw mostly because I have seen all the other movies in the Avengers series and am looking forward to the Avengers movie next summer. I like period movies, so the 1940s setting was fun. It definitely didn't have the light-heartedness of the Iron Man movies or Thor, both because of the personality of the central character, and where they leave him. I didn't think the post-credits sequence was worth waiting around for, really.

Thought about seeing and didn't based on reviews: Cowboys and Aliens and Cars II.

If I had it to do again: Would see Thor, actually. It was just so...fun. And Harry Potter, for the nostalgia value. Captain America I would definitely see on DVD to get the backstory for the Avengers movie. The other two, I would have been fine just seeing on Netflix DVD or streaming. (And I still plan to check out Cowboys and Aliens and Cars II on Netflix...) I also learned that next time I'll mix it up a little more between different types of movies--five blockbusters in a row was a bit much for me.

What are you seeing this summer?

Lainey
8-29-11, 10:51pm
This summer I've finally seen "Inside Job" now playing on cable. Best 2 hour explanation of *why* the 2008 financial meltdown really happened. Highly recommend.

Also just saw "The Help" and having read the book I knew what to expect, and was delighted that it was perfectly cast with excellent acting by everyone. (Actual comment from the two teenage girls sitting behind us in the theater when they saw the little kids of the African-American maid go into their bedroom and climb into bed: "are they really sleeping 3 to a bed??")

Florence
9-1-11, 5:40pm
Just came back from seeing The Debt. Tense. Not a good idea to get a large drink type movie.

The Storyteller
9-4-11, 8:46am
You lost me. What does that mean?

AmeliaJane
9-4-11, 10:33am
Movies seen recently: Kung Fu Panda-- much more charming than I expected. I refused to see it when it came out because it seemed so dumb, but it was actually pretty cute and had some great voice acting. Also "I Am Number Four" which wasn't really a stand-out but whiled away a long plane trip. I bet the teen girls love the male lead--the female lead also has a part on Glee and did so little to differentiate the characters that I kept expecting a dance number. This weekend saw "The Adjustment Bureau" which I mostly enjoyed but thought had a dumb ending. Matt Damon does so many action movies these days it was fun to see him play "charming" for once.

Lainey
9-10-11, 9:07pm
You lost me. What does that mean?

I'm not Florence but I think she's saying that it's a thriller which is engrossing enough that you don't want to have to step away for a bathroom break; hence, don't buy a large drink at the beginning of the movie.

Lainey
9-10-11, 9:08pm
I am looking forward to Tree of Life - a Terence Malick film that debuts soon. It has been many years in the making and the plot sounds interesting.

pinkytoe, did you ever see Tree of Life? if yes, I'd be interested to hear your take on it. I just saw it myself - it's different, for sure.

The Storyteller
9-10-11, 9:17pm
I'm not Florence but I think she's saying that it's a thriller which is engrossing enough that you don't want to have to step away for a bathroom break; hence, don't buy a large drink at the beginning of the movie.

Or it scares the pee out of you?

Zigzagman
10-8-11, 11:44am
We watched Bridesmaids (thru Blockbuster) last night and it is hilarious! I am not the kid of person that laughs that much from movies but this one cracked me up.

From IMDb - Annie (Kristen Wiig), is a maid of honor whose life unravels as she leads her best friend, Lillian (Maya Rudolph), and a group of colorful bridesmaids (Rose Byrne, Melissa McCarthy, Wendi McLendon-Covey and Ellie Kemper) on a wild ride down the road to matrimony. Annie's life is a mess. But when she finds out her lifetime best friend is engaged, she simply must serve as Lillian's maid of honor. Though lovelorn and broke, Annie bluffs her way through the expensive and bizarre rituals.

Peace

Lainey
11-6-11, 9:30am
"The Company Men" - executives dealing with fallout of economic crisis. So timely, and wonderful acting by Ben Affleck and Tommy Lee Jones. It's at the Blockbuster kiosk for $1 rental. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1172991/

AmeliaJane
11-6-11, 6:41pm
Just saw "Page One," the recent documentary about the New York Times. I am not generally a documentary fan, but I love newspaper movies. I thought it was really good. I liked the parts where you actually saw the newspaper staff doing their work better than the parts where everyone was going on about the death of print media. Overall, I enjoyed it and recommend it (be warned, they do not censor anybody's language, and some of the reporters are pretty salty.)

Gardenarian
11-7-11, 6:09pm
Watched "Source Code" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_Code) from the library this week-end. It was kind of "Groundhog Day" goes sci-fi. It was okay.

DD and her friend watched "Howl's Moving Castle." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howl%27s_Moving_Castle_(film))An oldie, but I always like to plug Miyazaki.

AmeliaJane
11-7-11, 7:16pm
Also rented "Crazy Stupid Love" over the weekend. I agreed with several reviews I read: there are basically three plots in the movie--a 40-something couple, a 20-something couple, and two teenagers. The 20-somethings, played by Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling, are incredibly charming. Loved their story, although I thought it was a bit shortchanged and would have liked a bit more time with them. It also felt a little weird in that the 8-year age difference between the actors actually seemed larger--the female role is written as about 26 (the character passes the bar during the movie) but Emma Stone was only about 21-22 when the movie was made, and she seems young due to her very fresh-faced persona. Whereas Ryan Gosling seems a bit older than IMDB says he is. The 40-something plot with Steve Carell and Julianne Moore was fine, although it dragged at times. The teenage plot was kind of creepy, actually. The teenage boy falls for the older teen babysitter and will not quit nagging her about it, no matter how many times she tells him she's uncomfortable and wants him to stop. I think the screenwriter thought it was cute, but it was not.

softweave
11-11-11, 7:47pm
Saw and loved "Margin Call" last weekend. It covers a 24 hour period in late 2008 as a fictional wall street company decides whether or not to unload its over leveraged financial poison on unsuspecting customers. Great actors giving believable character studies of people caught up in a culture of greed. Have since started reading "The Long Short" by Michael Lewis as a follow up.

iris lily
11-11-11, 9:08pm
I just finished The Page Turner, a French film about a young woman who wants revenge on an older woman. Light and interesting, nothing great.

Gardenarian
11-12-11, 8:57pm
I saw "Bad Teacher" with Cameron Diaz on the plane on my flight out to Boston. Really raunchy stupid silly movie - it was exactly what I needed at the moment - but unless you're on a plane on a trip you don't really want to take, I wouldn't recommend it.

Lainey
11-13-11, 9:37am
I saw "Bad Teacher" with Cameron Diaz on the plane on my flight out to Boston. Really raunchy stupid silly movie - it was exactly what I needed at the moment - but unless you're on a plane on a trip you don't really want to take, I wouldn't recommend it.

Ditto for "Horrible Bosses" Really really raunchy, and not even funny

puglogic
11-13-11, 11:04pm
Finally got Win Win from the library, the same director who did The Station Agent and The Visitor. Loved both of them, loved this.

mtnlaurel
11-14-11, 1:51am
Finally got Win Win from the library, the same director who did The Station Agent and The Visitor. Loved both of them, loved this.

Win, Win is fabulous!!!! I love, love, loved it.

treehugger
11-14-11, 11:58am

Wow, that's quite a recommendation, considering The Station Agent is one of my favorite movies and I also loved The Visitor. I will definitely add Win Win to my Netflix queue. Thanks!

Kara

Simplemind
11-14-11, 2:01pm
Great news about Win Win. It is next up on my Netflix list. We have been into foreign films lately and just watched In a Better World. It was excellent.

treehugger
11-14-11, 2:25pm
LOL. I went to add Win Win to my queue and saw that I already had. Der! :) I didn't even know it was by a director that I was already a fan of; I think I added it based on a recommendation from Netflix. Cool.

Kara

iris lily
11-14-11, 10:35pm
ok here's how I rate those 3 films:

Station Agent #1
Win Win #2
The Visitor #3

Station Agent is definitely #1, it is sweet and a little sad and it does a bang up job of drawing interesting characters. The interesting thing about Win Win is the moral dilemma of the protagonist. The wrestler kid was not a professional actor and that bothered some critics, but I thought he was very believable. In real life he is a very good high school wrestler. I found The Visitor to be nice but not totally engaging but I watched it at home, while I saw the other two in the theater. Home viewing provides too many distractions, when will I learn that???!!!

rosebud
11-15-11, 1:45pm
Did you know there is actually a biographical documentary of the same title that stars Edith Bouvier-Beale and Edie Beale in the setting of the real Grey Gardens? 1975, it's available on Netflix. They are not actors and they're not well, so it's not very good as entertainment, but it's quite moving, and fascinating as the real back-story for the new movie.

And often identified as the ancestor of reality tv.

AmeliaJane
11-22-11, 10:01pm
Just saw "Footloose" (the remake). The reviews were right that said the dancing is better and the acting is worse. I had fun, but I would have been just as happy seeing it at home on DVD.

Selah
11-23-11, 9:06am
I loved "The Debt." Very tense and skillfully acted by all six (!) leads. "Limitless" was disappointing, but hey, the lead just got named by People Magazine as "The Sexiest Man On The Planet" or whatever, so while the plot was a little lame, the movie itself was very easy on the eye!

Older movies that come to mind are "Tropic Thunder," a Ben Stiller comedy that is well worth renting just to see Tom Cruise dressed as an obnoxious movie mogul doing hip-hop dancing with some really sweet moves! "Greenberg," also with Ben Stiller, was also good just because he does a great job playing against his usual type of baffled-yet- lovable nebbish.

iris lily
11-23-11, 10:08am
And often identified as the ancestor of reality tv.

I did not know that.

For years Grey Gardens was not available on VHS (yes, back that far) and I knew about it as a gay cult film, and I was thrilled when it finally was released for the consumer market.

I still don't see why Little Edie is such a fashion icon, though. Other than the skirt around her head, what did she wear? But this is why I'm not In Fashion, and why gay men do not flock to me as diva.

treehugger
11-23-11, 11:37am
Recently enjoyed Whip It (much more fun and less grrrl power-y than I expected) and Special 8 (great premise, setting, acting, and also truly suspenseful and even a little scary). I remember my brothers going through the "making movies" phase when we were kids, just like JJ Abrams and Steven Spielburg.

Kara

rosebud
11-23-11, 2:46pm
I did not know that.

For years Grey Gardens was not available on VHS (yes, back that far) and I knew about it as a gay cult film, and I was thrilled when it finally was released for the consumer market.

I still don't see why Little Edie is such a fashion icon, though. Other than the skirt around her head, what did she wear? But this is why I'm not In Fashion, and why gay men do not flock to me as diva.

Okay, I admit it. You made me laugh.

I think it's the flamboyance, trying to transform something mundane into something that speaks of glamour, it's the way she just created her own reality, which was loosely based on some former grandeur. She perserveres in living in her own illusions and putting on a show. That's very drag queenesque.