PDA

View Full Version : buying cards for birthdays etc.

babr
3-16-11, 3:32pm
God they are too expensive; one was 4.00! I would like to hand make my cards but sometimes that seems to cheap; but hell they look at them and toss them out anyway; like xmas cards

i have beautiful calender pictures i could turn into cards with some ingenuity; use my creative side instead of being drawn in by the Hallmark suction machine

there i answered my own problem; wow thanks for listening:)

razz
3-16-11, 4:37pm
The price of cards is getting quite high. We have some dollar cards sections in the discount stores and most of these cards are quite nice. I like to paint some watercolour cords for special people or use Jacqui Lawson ecards in a pinch.

JaneV2.0
3-16-11, 5:00pm
There are lots of books on card-making available now--your library probably has some--and you can buy basic supplies for the cost of a few commercial cards.

Float On
3-16-11, 5:31pm
I use to make cards but anymore I print out a favorite photo and either write on the back of it or stick it to some cardstock weight paper - everyone loves them because they are photos I took.

Gina
3-16-11, 10:03pm
I think a lot of commercial cards are really neat - some funny, others beautiful, but just way too expensive. I usually refuse to spend $ on cards so I've made my own cards for years. There are many ways to do it, and a really nice thing to do.

On the rare occasion I do buy a card, depending on the circumstance, I actually will write my message on a separate piece of paper, stick it in the 'virgin' card, and give it to the person unsullied. They can then use it themselves.

If you look around, you can sometimes find stacks of cards at yard sales for cheap.

Another thing is to look for boxes of stationery, with a nice picture and envelopes, and use those instead of individual cards. Who cares if you have to write your own 'happy birthday', etc, into it.

If you give cards to friends that give you cards, and they are good-natured, you can keep exchanging the same card to each other for years, just stick a piece of paper with the new message into it. You start that tradition by waiting till someone gives you a card, then the next occasion, give it back to them with a smile. :)

Nella
3-16-11, 10:28pm
...they look at them and toss them out anyway...The handmade cards are the only ones I do keep! Seriously! I say go for the creative side of yourself and start making those cards. Hey, Christmas card season is, what, 8 or 9 months away. Plenty of time to get those holiday cards made. ;>

catherine
3-17-11, 8:12am
I use to make cards but anymore I print out a favorite photo and either write on the back of it or stick it to some cardstock weight paper - everyone loves them because they are photos I took.

I love that idea--I have friends that have done that and I've always loved them. They can also be photos you take of nature, like flowers, or sunsets or whatever--

I have to admit that I'm a Blue Mountain subscriber (www.bluemountain.com), and I'm using them to e-mail cards. I know it's not as much fun getting a card in your inbox and not in your mailbox, but it's great for me because I'm always late with stuff like that and I can do it "day of"

Another card site which is really beautiful is Jacquie Lawson (www.jacquielawson.com). Her ecards are real works of art--and just as much fun to get as a regular paper card.

Here's an example preview card for y'all in honor of St. Patrick's Day: http://www.jacquielawson.com/preview.asp?cont=1&hdn=0&pv=3153666&path=98301

JaneV2.0
3-17-11, 1:26pm
I've seen unused cards at thrift stores, and you could embellish them in the style of altered books. I usually buy commercial cards, but escalating prices are taking their toll. I may end up going the handmade route. Now to get organized...

Selah
3-17-11, 8:14pm
I've engaged in intellectual property theft in the past by noting some particularly lovely sentiment in a $3.99 greeting card, then writing the same sentiment by hand in a pretty blank notecard that comes out of a set! Far less expensive, and more personal, but not going to the greater level of hassle by creating and designing a card. Old, unusual postcards can also serve as unusual greeting cards.

Jinger
3-17-11, 8:25pm
I've been saving cards I like that have been sent to me, cut off the back, glue the front to folded card stock and voila a new recycled card! I found a huge set of assorted unused card size envelopes at the thrift store, so I am all set.

http://iliketomakethings.blogspot.com

Fawn
3-17-11, 8:56pm
I'm all for hand-made cards.

Here's from Valentine's day:
http://singlemomenough.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/feb-14-002.jpg?w=300&h=225 (http://singlemomenough.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/feb-14-002.jpg)

And comment from my DIL:
Happy Valentines Day to you! We LOVED our homemade valentine. Thank you for being a wonderful mom to us. xoxo

For the record DS #1 & DIl card was lower left, DS#3's card was lower right,

DS #2's card upper left, and DD's card upper right.
:cool:

rosarugosa
3-18-11, 5:03am
Fawn, Those are great! I especially like the anatomical heart.

babr
3-18-11, 9:09am
such great ideas; and using your creativity; i have been thinking of doing something creative every day; it could be in any area; cooking, decorating, whatever comes to mind; i think of mr. kangeroo; he could do alot with tape and things from around the house!

CatsNK
3-18-11, 9:10am
I get cards at the dollar store. They are 2 for one dollar locally so I just stock up - buy 10 or 12 at a time and keep them at the ready! I won't pay $4 for any card.

mira
3-18-11, 10:10am
I feel the same way. I really grudge buying cards when 1) they're super expensive and 2) they're just going to get thrown away... I have card-making supplies but normally I 1) leave it too late to make one or 2) can't muster up the creative energy to make anything that looks half-decent.

It's a hard life.

reader99
3-18-11, 11:01am
The Dollar General near me has cards 2 for a dollar. And a good, wide selection, too, ones I can actually use.

I love hand made cards! I make them and am wanting to sell them as well. I also buy cards from artists sometimes as well, they are unique, beautiful and help out local people.

I really don't care for store bought cards, they are either mean or say things that are't quite right for the per so or situation. I like a handwritten note much better.

simplelife2
3-26-11, 7:13pm
I don't buy a card if I'm giving a gift. And there are only a few people I send cards to. I like the ideas for homemade cards. I always find pretty note cards and paper at the thrift stores for everyday use, like thank yous.

babr
3-27-11, 6:09am
glad i am not alone and great ideas; thanks everyone for sharing your info. and beautiful pictures