PDA

View Full Version : anyone watch last episode of Cosmos last night?

pinkytoe
6-9-14, 12:38pm
I think that has to be one of the most inspiring things I have ever seen on TV. I have been thinking all day about some of the things DeGrasse said like these lines:

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there-on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known."

catherine
6-9-14, 12:45pm
The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.

This is a huge marvel to me. I remember watching coverage of a Mars landing by Rover and some of the information that came back led to headlines like "There MAY have been WATER on MARS!!!" Wow. Water? Big deal... Look at how prolific the life is on OUR planet!! We have water, and fertile soil, and an atmosphere that has supported billions of life forms over billions of years, all in perfect balance and we have not seen ANY evidence of anything similar in our galaxy so far.

It would be such a darn waste to just F it all up completely. Can't we aspire to be more like our Mother, rather than like a bunch of rebellious, ego-driven teenagers??

Very cool--I have to see if I can find it to watch it.

ToomuchStuff
6-10-14, 1:21am
I saw the first one and maybe part of the second? My mind, kept going back to the first one, by the guy that inspired him (Carl Sagan). Since things have been "remade" so much in my time, I tend to lose interest in remakes and slip into constrast and comparing them.
A little over 100 years ago, people wouldn't even have been talking about species migration. I had a neighbor that made it to her third century (born in the late 19th), and had a couple interesting discussions, about the changes in her life.
We are not even a single celled organism, on the glactic scale.

bUU
6-10-14, 6:37am
I think that has to be one of the most inspiring things I have ever seen on TV. I have been thinking all day about some of the things DeGrasse said like these lines:...
Those specific lines were Carl Sagan's. They were pulled from the original Cosmos series. Sagan eventually wrote a book - 1994 book, Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Blue_Dot_(book)). I highly recommend it, along with Sagan's subsequent book - The Demon-Haunted World (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Demon-Haunted_World). Taken together, they represent perhaps the most humane presentation of the context of science I've read. I find them rich sources for material for the work I do creating worship for both large and small group ministry at church.

Since things have been "remade" so much in my time, I tend to lose interest in remakes and slip into constrast and comparing them.De Grasse Tyson, and indeed Sagan, would make the point, and strongly, that the nature of the material requires "remakes". A substantial portion of the science shared in this new series involved things we learned since Sagan passed away, and one of the main points of the series was restated by De Grasse Tyson toward the end of the final episode: It's okay not to know all the answers. It's better to acknowledge what we don't know than to delude ourselves into believing something that makes us feel better. We need to question everything, including things we think we already know. We need to continually test our understanding, to see if we can refine it or replace it with superior understanding. And so on.

De Grasse Tyson had big shoes to fill. I've seen people who panned Sagan trying to make qualitative comparisons between Sagan and De Grasse Tyson, which is ludicrous - like someone who hates the color blue trying to compare the relative merits of azure and royal blue. Having been a great adherent to Sagan's teachings about science and society prior to this second series of Cosmos, I was very skeptical about De Grasse Tyson. Those concerns were unfounded. I should have realized that Druyan wouldn't have put someone up there on camera who wasn't a thoroughly worthy successor to Sagan. I was very impressed with the series, and De Grasse Tyson's presentation.

Tammy
6-10-14, 9:24am
I saw all 13 episodes and loved it. It's the only thing I've watched on TV in the last 6 months.

pinkytoe
6-10-14, 10:49am
Thanks bUU for the recs. I look forward to reading Sagan's books. I now have this thought that if all humans contemplated their minuteness and insignificance in the grand scheme of things…that things might lighten up for all of us. Certainly has changed my outlook.

ToomuchStuff
6-12-14, 7:40pm
De Grasse Tyson, and indeed Sagan, would make the point, and strongly, that the nature of the material requires "remakes". A substantial portion of the science shared in this new series involved things we learned since Sagan passed away, and one of the main points of the series was restated by De Grasse Tyson toward the end of the final episode: It's okay not to know all the answers. It's better to acknowledge what we don't know than to delude ourselves into believing something that makes us feel better. We need to question everything, including things we think we already know. We need to continually test our understanding, to see if we can refine it or replace it with superior understanding. And so on.

While I agree with the nature of the scientific method requires reexaminations and continuing education, any "remake" isn't any good, if one can't be open to absorb the material, from being bombarded to the shutdown point, of remakes.

catherine
6-12-14, 8:24pm
Carl Sagan was a genius, and, famously, an atheist. I recall that when he was dying of cancer, people would say to him, "So, I guess you believe in God now, right?" And his answer was "No, I don't." Awe and wonder are not the domain of the religious, and I say that as person who does believe in a Divine Source. But I have no doubt that he has returned to us all from whence he came via his biology, his philosophy, and his wisdom--thankfully repeated and played out in his books and documentaries.

bUU
6-13-14, 4:33am
It is a myth that Sagan was an Atheist. In one of his last books, the aforementioned Pale Blue Dot, he wrote, "A religion old or new, that stressed the magnificence of the universe as revealed by modern science, might be able to draw forth reserves of reverence and awe hardly tapped by the conventional faiths. Sooner or later, such a religion will emerge." He was, assuredly, a pantheist, not an Atheist.

catherine
6-13-14, 6:54am
It is a myth that Sagan was an Atheist. In one of his last books, the aforementioned Pale Blue Dot, he wrote, "A religion old or new, that stressed the magnificence of the universe as revealed by modern science, might be able to draw forth reserves of reverence and awe hardly tapped by the conventional faiths. Sooner or later, such a religion will emerge." He was, assuredly, a pantheist, not an Atheist.

Interesting...

Tiam
6-13-14, 10:29am

Well, I don't feel this quote proves the idea that he was a Pantheist, rather that he theorized that a dominant religion of pantheism might create the right conditions necessary to respect and awe necessary to appreciate the universe as a whole.

bae
6-13-14, 10:53am
Sagan said he was agnostic when asked directly in an interview.

bUU
6-13-14, 4:33pm
A very politic answer.

By the way, there is a difference between being a pantheist and being a Pantheist. Subtle but significant.

happystuff
6-13-14, 5:17pm
I watched all the episodes and loved them!!! For most of them, it was timed shared with one of my kids.

Rogar
6-13-14, 11:00pm
I caught bits and pieces and will have to Netflix it or get it from the library to catch it without commercials and a time when I can watch uninterrupted. What impressed me the most was what a tiny, if not even sub-microscopic relative place in time and space we humans occupy. I don't know if it makes me feel less like there is a universal God-like force or if it so complex and follows universal laws, that only a divine creator could have conceived it. What got me was when they pretty much got to the end of our universe as we know it, they said that there may be others universes beyond our own.

awakenedsoul
6-13-14, 11:57pm
I didn't see the show and I didn't read all the posts, but I believe there is life on other planets. I believe in extraterrestrials and advanced civilizations that are far beyond our abilities. My sense is that they don't experience the duality and violence we have here on Earth. Dogs are the closest things I've found here on our plane. If they are treated well, they are unconditionally loving. Very advanced beings dogs are...

Don't mean to derail the thread...just saw the post referring to only water on other planets.

The Storyteller
6-14-14, 9:18pm

Pretty much my view on the subject and I am, assuredly, very much an atheist.

The Storyteller
6-14-14, 10:55pm
Sagan said he was agnostic when asked directly in an interview.

Well, when it comes right down to it, so is my favorite atheist Richard Dawkins, technically speaking. He believes the odds of there being a god are infinitesimally minute, which is the same thing as saying there is a minute chance there is a god, which implies... there could be. Any good scientist who doesn't believe in god would fit this technicality.

I suspect Sagan was this sort of technical agnostic. Maybe he was just being nice.

bUU
6-15-14, 5:44am
Many people don't understand agnosticism very well. It includes beliefs that allow for the possibility (likelihood, really) that human beings don't have the capacity to understand the nature of God, not just the belief in the possibility that the specific kind of God Abrahamic religions abide may exist.

bUU
6-15-14, 6:50am
Timely...

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2014/06/10/meet-an-atheist-who-believes-in-god/?hpt=li_bn10

happystuff
6-15-14, 10:30am
Was talking at breakfast this morning about what to do tonight since COSMOS ended. Kind of sunk in just how much we looked forward to the episodes.

bUU
6-15-14, 1:07pm
The DVR rather detaches when you watch a program from when a program is broadcast. (Tonight, we're watching Orphan Black from last night, and Being Human from April.) We're indeed recording nothing tonight, probably the first night off for the DVR since December.

Our DVR allows us to search for all the season and series premieres over the next twelve days. I aimed it at channels where I know they have dramas and comedies, primarily. This is what it came up with.

Sun 06/15/14 09:00 PM
Masterpiece Mystery! - The Escape Artist
502=WGBHDT
1:30

Sun 06/15/14 09:00 PM
511=WENHDT

Mon 06/16/14 04:30 AM
511=WENHDT

Mon 06/16/14 09:00 PM
The Fosters - Things Unknown
699=ABCFHD
1:00

Tue 06/17/14 09:00 PM
Rizzoli & Isles - A New Day
551=TNTHD

Tue 06/17/14 10:00 PM
Perception - Paris
551=TNTHD
1:01

Thu 06/19/14 08:00 PM
Defiance - The Opposite of Hallelujah
680=SYFYHD

Thu 06/19/14 09:00 PM
Rookie Blue - Blink; All by Her Selfie
509=WMURDT
2:00

Thu 06/19/14 09:00 PM
Dominion - Pilot
680=SYFYHD
1:24

Fri 06/20/14 10:00 PM
Funniest Wins - The Future of Comedy
552=TBSHD

Sat 06/21/14 10:00 PM
Almost Royal - Los Angeles
689=BBCAHD
0:30

Sun 06/22/14 07:00 PM
Wipeout - Fall in the Family
509=WMURDT

Sun 06/22/14 09:00 PM
Rising Star
509=WMURDT

The Last Ship - Pilot: Phase Six
551=TNTHD
1:03

The Musketeers - Friends and Enemies
689=BBCAHD
1:15

Sun 06/22/14 10:03 PM
Falling Skies - Ghost in the Machine
551=TNTHD
1:02

Mon 06/23/14 10:00 PM
POV - When I Walk
502=WGBHDT

POV - When I Walk
511=WENHDT

Teen Wolf
710=MTVHD

Mon 06/23/14 10:30 PM
CeeLo Green's The Good Life - I Love You...You're Hired!
552=TBSHD

Tue 06/24/14 09:00 PM
Abby's Studio Rescue - Abby to the Rescue
640=LIFEHD

Tue 06/24/14 10:00 PM
Sullivan & Son - The Big O
552=TBSHD

Tue 06/24/14 10:00 PM
Tyrant - Pilot
553=FXHD
1:20

Tue 06/24/14 10:01 PM
Covert Affairs - Shady Lane
550=USAHD
1:02

Wed 06/25/14 08:00 PM
Big Brother
504=WBZDT

Wed 06/25/14 08:00 PM
Young & Hungry - Pilot
699=ABCFHD

Wed 06/25/14 09:00 PM
Million Dollar Listing Miami - The Ultimate Luxury Playground
685=BRAVOHD

Wed 06/25/14 10:00 PM
Wilfred - Amends
584=FXXHD
0:31

Wed 06/25/14 10:01 PM
Taxi Brooklyn - Pilot
507=WHDHDT
0:59

Thu 06/26/14 10:00 PM
NY Med
509=WMURDT

Thu 06/26/14 10:01 PM
Beyond Scared Straight - St. Clair County, Ill.: Bunk & Junk
681=AETVHD
1:01

Spartana
6-15-14, 2:39pm
I'm a huge Carl Sagan fan and have watched the original Cosmos many times - although I'll admit his monotone voice often lulls me off to sleep. Unfortunately only saw a few episodes of the re-make but, also being a Neil Degrasse Tyson fan, I'm sure it was all great. I do hope they come out with DVDs soon.

bUU
6-16-14, 5:39am
We received our discs of the series last week.

Spartana
6-16-14, 9:56am
We received our discs of the series last week.I'll have to wait for the rentals to come out at the library but that usually happens pretty quick after they are out there for sale. I'm too much of a minimalist cheapskate to actually buy them :-)!

iris lilies
6-17-14, 3:22am
My relatives are yakking on Facebook about how Cosmos covered my uncle's scientific contributions to earth geology. He discovered the age of the earth and is famous for that.

I suppose I will have to seek out Cosmos one of these days on dvd.

Tussiemussies
6-17-14, 4:20pm
That is really interesting Iris, it is usually a great feeling to see some of your work as part of a project or show...

My husband watched the show and said he was in awe and it made him have a somewhat shift in how he perceived the world...

iris lilies
8-10-14, 10:06pm
I finally got around to searching out the Cosmos episode that featured my uncle. I was surprised to see that the entire episode was devoted to his research in lead levels of the earth, he wasn't just "mentioned" he was the subject of the show. The story is that during his work in identifying the age of the earth, he ran into lead in the environment and studied that, showing that these levels of lead were not "natural" but were a result of something--automobile emissions and other liberal use of lead by our society.

I remember back in the 1960's when I was a kid, him showing my mother the lead solders on cans and telling her to stay away from those. Apparently some cans were lead soldered, others were not.

This episode is No. 7 "The Clean Room" which references his meticulous effort to create a lab free of lead so that he could get accurate measures.

Spartana
8-18-14, 8:39pm
Thanks for posting that about your Uncle IL. Will check out the episode. It'll be like watching someone famous who's kid I know :-)!