PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Mouse

Sad Eyed Lady
7-22-14, 3:22pm
I am in need of a new mouse and up till now I have always used a wired one. I have an Acer Chromebook, so will any wireless mouse work with it? I could ask this question I know at a big box store if I was going to buy there, but I will probably order it online and don't know if there are specifications or not that I need to look for. I like a small one (mini) since I have a small hand, like the wheel better than a track ball, and obviously don't want to spend much for it. Advice is appreciated. Thanks!

ToomuchStuff
7-23-14, 4:19am
Let me start with why?
You already seem to have a corded mouse. The Acer has a trackpad, I am pretty sure, and up and down buttons that would handle the scrolling.

So lets go with your going to get one, no matter that (personal preference); does the Chromebook have Bluetooth already? If so, you could get a Bluetooth mouse that isn't linked to any device. If not, then your going to be getting one that uses a dongle/small transceiver to talk to the computer.

Also you mentioned wheel better then a trackball. I think that is a misnomer somewhat, as there are several trackballs that have scrolling as well. (I picked one up for a desk without much space) I still have mice on several systems but want to make sure your not falling to false beliefs.

Sad Eyed Lady
7-23-14, 11:04am
Thanks for your reply ToomuchStuff. Yes, it is just personal preference that I like a mouse better than the trackpad on the Chromebook. I checked on the Bluetooth because it always says "Bluetooth disabled" so I clicked to enable it and now it says Bluetooth enabled. So, does that mean I can just buy the mouse and not worry about the little receiver thing?

You asked why at the beginning of your message and I answered about my personal preference for a mouse, and as to the corded mouse, the cords seem to wear in to pretty quickly up near where they plug into the computer. That's why I wanted to go with a cordless mouse.

Alan
7-23-14, 11:20am
I've been using a wireless mouse and keyboard on my work computer for years and love the reliability and versatility they provide. I've never tried a Bluetooth mouse, although I would think they would work just as well. Actually, I would think they would be functionally better in that you needn't concern yourself with the usb dongle attached to a small laptop. Unless it had an extremely low profile, it would be awfully easy to break those things when attached to a mobile platform.

ToomuchStuff
7-24-14, 7:24pm
If the Bluetooth mouse, comes with a usb transciver, plan on having to use it.
I picked up a full sized Dell branded Bluetooth mouse several years ago, for my notebook. It isn't "unified" (locked to a device), where if they have a dongle, most of the time, now, they are unified. Part of the reason they went unified, is so multiple people could be using mice in a closed space (think college library and everyones, fighting with everyones).

Tradd
7-24-14, 8:45pm
I got a wireless mouse a couple of years ago. It was on sale for about $15 at the back to school sales. I think I got it at Staples. Logitech is the brand. I liked it so much I bought one for my personal use at work. It operates via usb dongle. Love it.