PDA

View Full Version : Escape the cold in Jan & Feb: where would you go?

iris lily
8-1-14, 9:51pm
In the next couple of years I want to play gypsy and travel to warmer climates during January and February. I do not want it to be "warm" but to be above freezing. I'm ok with weather that is 40 - 60 degrees F in the day time. In fact, we will have dogs who cannot take hot weather, so deep south Florida is out. Because of the dogs we are limited to the United States.

I do not want to buy an RV. I like terra firma instead of a rolling house, and I like little old places that haven't been gussied up. I guess that you could say I'm looking for an area high on charm in historical buildings and atmosphere, somewhat undeveloped, a place which would offer a fair number of low-end rentals around $1,000/month.

I'd love New Orleans, but that is too pricey. But I suspect that there are lots of places in the south east that I'd like, I just am not familiar with the south and the coast along the south-east.Also some day we would go out west and might try Bisbee, AZ or Las Cruces, NM. I also liked Rockport, TX 15 years ago and I hope it hasn't been built up too much since then.

What areas would be good to explore in the south-east along the gulf, of even northern Florida? I do like St. Augustine a LOT but suspect it might be highly priced.

iris lily
8-1-14, 10:50pm
I love New Mexico. I spent time in Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Taos, and someplace out in the boonies where I went horseback riding. (I can't remember the name. It was a ranch.) I also like Sedona, AZ and Colorado. Seattle is really nice, too. I think it's expensive, though. Oh, and Oregon. I've been wanting to take a trip to Oregon...but it rains a lot. (which I like, just don't know if you do.)

I've been hanging around Santa Fe websites and I want to do a stint there, but not in the winter, probably a fall trip. That place is too cold in the winter.

I guess I should have said that winter temps cannot be below freezing. SF gets there regularly. Seattle is way too expensive.

Tussiemussies
8-2-14, 12:32am
Definitely somewhere north, maybe Maine?

iris lily
8-2-14, 1:49am
Definitely somewhere north, maybe Maine?

No, January and February is where I want to get out of cold weather. I want temps no colder than 32 degrees F at night. No freezing, no snow.

I'm going to change the title of my post, I think it is mis-leading. but thanks for your comment.

Tussiemussies
8-2-14, 2:59am
Oops got it wrong...how about North Or South Carolina?

Rosemary
8-2-14, 4:16am
The Southwest in winter is lovely. Bisbee and Prescott, AZ, are nice small cities. Sedona is beautiful - stunning, really - but probably colder than you'd like that time of year... also has really built up in the past 2 decades and that has resulted in a loss of some charm. Some of the outlying areas of Tucson might fit the bill, if you'd like large city conveniences nearby. The cost of living there is quite low.

catherine
8-2-14, 6:43am
I could see you loving Charleston, South Carolina. Maybe it's more temperate than warm, but the town itself sounds right up your alley.

pinkytoe
8-2-14, 9:42am
You might like Galveston. Lots of historic houses/buildings. A friend just bought a little Victorian era cottage a few blocks from the Seawall that is so cute. Nothing like oyster stew on a chilly winter's night. There are also lots of Central TX towns that "snow birds" travel to - Fredericksburg, New Braunfels, Wimberley - to name a few.

razz
8-2-14, 10:06am
Like your question in this thread, IL so am watching closely to see what suggestions arise.

Tradd
8-2-14, 1:33pm
You might want to investigate Mobile, perhaps Savannah.

iris lily
8-2-14, 1:39pm
I've been looking at Savannah and Charleston, I think they would be lovely. I'm hoping they are a tad less expensive than New Orleans. Mobile--now that's interesting, I'll look into that.

I use the online vacation rental services and have found some opportunities, but most will not list their "monthly" rental charges.

I've been looking at the "sublet/temporary" housing sections of Craigslist and there are rare, random opportunities there. Since I'm a couple of years away form this, it's hard to know what online tools will exist in the future. But finding a furnished place for short term lease is tricky. I suppose that's why many people go with an RV. I hate the idea of towing a car behind, but it just occured to me that DH could drive the RV and I could follow in a car, that way we would have an auto available all the time.

But still, I don't really like RV's and I'd prefer a simple old cottage type place, not fixed up, but with some kind of heater.

I REALLY do not want to go to the same place year after year which is why I won't consider buying a place.

pinkytoe, Galvestan is one place I've not considered and I think I need to look at it. Could be a good one.

Float On
8-2-14, 1:41pm
Been snowed in in Santa Fe in November before...love the other three seasons there.
Though I love St Augustine, FL...I like the gulf side much better. Husband's sister is in Bainbridge, GA (beautiful little town with a famous square) and it's just north of Tallahassee, FL. where we used to do art shows. Tallahassee is a college town with small town feel - love the chain of parks area. South of that is the Wakulla Springs area (creature from the black lagoon and some Tarzan stuff filmed there) and all along that area of the gulf are nice little towns with great springs. I plan to spend a whole winter or two roaming between Pensacola and Englewood to find "my southeast" spot

iris lily
8-2-14, 1:52pm
Been snowed in in Santa Fe in November before...love the other three seasons there.
Though I love St Augustine, FL...I like the gulf side much better. Husband's sister is in Bainbridge, GA (beautiful little town with a famous square) and it's just north of Tallahassee, FL. where we used to do art shows. Tallahassee is a college town with small town feel - love the chain of parks area. South of that is the Wakulla Springs area (creature from the black lagoon and some Tarzan stuff filmed there) and all along that area of the gulf are nice little towns with great springs. I plan to spend a whole winter or two roaming between Pensacola and Englewood to find "my southeast" spot

This is exactly the kind of info I wanted to hear! I'll be copying this thread and saving if for the future.

spirit
8-2-14, 2:17pm
Englewood FL might fit the bill except for the price. Expect to pay $1500 or more a month at that time of year. Englewood is on the Gulf. If you want to find cheaper quarters, look inland from Englewood.

If Englewood interests you, PM me and we can discuss more.

pinkytoe
8-2-14, 7:57pm
Here's an example of a Galveston house. Lots of people buy and rent out; unfortunately Hurrican Ike wiped out a lot of the palm trees:
http://www.trulia.com/property/3159829535-GALVESTON-TOWNSITE-614-12th-St-Galveston-TX-77550#photo-3

Florence
8-3-14, 8:33am
Well, the Texas Rio Grande Valley is lovely most winters. It is very inexpensive and best of all are all the birding hot spots.

rodeosweetheart
8-3-14, 4:17pm
Although I was born in Georgia and my father grew up in Savannah, and I love Savannah with all my heart, if I were you, I would go for South Carolina, Iris. It would be more open and welcoming, I think, and the taxes are better.

I know a bit about Savannah and have also lived in South Carolina, so pm me if you want any more ideas--I think you would be happier in SC or in Florida. But if you have questions about either Georgia or SC, feel free to pm me.

Spartana
8-18-14, 1:39pm
In the next couple of years I want to play gypsy and travel to warmer climates during January and February. I do not want it to be "warm" but to be above freezing. I'm ok with weather that is 40 - 60 degrees F in the day time. In fact, we will have dogs who cannot take hot weather, so deep south Florida is out. Because of the dogs we are limited to the United States.

I do not want to buy an RV. I like terra firma instead of a rolling house, and I like little old places that haven't been gussied up. I guess that you could say I'm looking for an area high on charm in historical buildings and atmosphere, somewhat undeveloped, a place which would offer a fair number of low-end rentals around $1,000/month.

I'd love New Orleans, but that is too pricey. But I suspect that there are lots of places in the south east that I'd like, I just am not familiar with the south and the coast along the south-east.Also some day we would go out west and might try Bisbee, AZ or Las Cruces, NM. I also liked Rockport, TX 15 years ago and I hope it hasn't been built up too much since then.

What areas would be good to explore in the south-east along the gulf, of even northern Florida? I do like St. Augustine a LOT but suspect it might be highly priced. There are some very cool old small towns along the South Carolina Coast - North Carolinas too but a bit colder in winter. I was stationed in a small barrier island called Oak Island near the southern end of NC near the Cape Fear River, and while it wasn't very historic in and of itself, it was close to a lot of cool places. Wilmington and Southport - both of which have a lot of historic stuff. Further south in SC are great historic towns like Beaufort (one of my favorite places to go). It's warmer there in winter too then NC. Soooo many other's I can think of I'd need a book to write 'em! Check out places like www.VRBO.com and www.Homeaway.com as well as locale realtor websites for vacation rentals in different areas. Make sure and put in monthly rentals rather then weekly as you can get them so much cheaper that way.