PDA

View Full Version : Summer Fruit

Florence
8-3-14, 8:29am
Oh it is that delicious time of year. Cantaloupe and watermelon and peaches with all that lovely juice on one's face and hands and chin!! But grapes which I dearly love are $2.98 a pound!! I suppose it is the drought in California that has pushed the price of grapes so high. So what summer fruit is dripping from your chin?:)

Sad Eyed Lady
8-3-14, 9:26am
I make an absolute pig of myself on all this fresh summer produce! All summer I have eaten numerous cartons of fresh raspberries and blueberries, some strawberries. Currently I finished a couple of pieces of watermelon yesterday, and now I have a wonderful tasting cantaloupe. Although these things may be available in the winter time there is just no taste after being picked too early and shipped across country (or across boarders). This local summer fruit is so good!

awakenedsoul
8-3-14, 11:21am
Summer fruit is my favorite! I've been enjoying apricots, blueberries, watermelon, cantaloup, pluots, figs, Valencia oranges, and strawberries. Many of my neighbors have grapes growing on their fences. I tried, but I wasn't successful. I planted a bing cherry, apricot, pluot, nectarine, and fig tree last year. Hopefully I will be growing my own summer fruits in the future. I do well with the winter ones...

Gardenarian
8-3-14, 1:57pm
Lots of blackberries this year, despite the drought. Good pickings!

KayLR
8-4-14, 12:00pm
All the above you mentioned, OP, are dripping from my chin, too, plus apricots, watermelon and plums. Our Italian prune (plum) tree is ripening and I'm scouring my recipe books for creative ways to use them. We're not much for eating jams and jellies. But chutnies? Oh yeah!

Florence
8-4-14, 8:37pm
All the above you mentioned, OP, are dripping from my chin, too, plus apricots, watermelon and plums. Our Italian prune (plum) tree is ripening and I'm scouring my recipe books for creative ways to use them. We're not much for eating jams and jellies. But chutnies? Oh yeah!
+1 :)

OwlGirl
8-5-14, 7:02am
I'm surprised that fruit and veg are the usual pickings for the summer (which is great). I'm just worried about the drought. I really hope we get some good rain very very soon.