PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to try going car free

awakenedsoul
8-15-14, 1:57pm
My car just died. I bought it in 2005 for $6,000. It was a used 2004 Kia Rio from Enterprise. My brother is a district manager there, so I got a discount. Last year I put a new engine in it. The mechanic recommended it, but I see now it was a mistake. They're not built to last. Anyway, I've decided to try going car free. I have a bus pass and bicycle. I use them most of the time, anyway. I figure I can rent a car if I need to go to an audition, stock up at Costco, or take a trip. If it doesn't work out, I'll buy another used car. It's a weird feeling to have an empty driveway...I've had a car since I was 17.

razz
8-15-14, 2:42pm
You may be surprised at how much money you save without a car but if you are travelling by bike and transit, you may already know.

Packy
8-15-14, 3:41pm
Good Luck. Going "no car" certainly keeps some major expense down, but there are diminishing returns at a certain point- like harsh weather conditions, if you are temporarily disabled, nighttime travel, etc. The place where I see it being totally practical is in an urban setting, where you can live, work, and have recreational/social opportunities. That the local culture is "bicycle friendly" would be very helpful. Again, hope it works out for you!

miradoblackwarrior
8-15-14, 3:43pm
Welcome to the world of pedestrians--even those with two wheels!

I went car-free two years ago, unless you count zipcar (which I don't!). Now I've even gone zipcar-free, just because I crunched the numbers and decided it was cheaper to go via bus, or even call a cab! Seriously, look around you--you might find resources out there that you've never looked at before. I gave up zipcar because I can plan around Enterprise (which comes out cheaper). Where I live, there is an extensive transit system. When I take a trip to BJ's (similar to Costco), I have a ginormous backpack that I can sling on my back. I also use the subscribe and save option through Amazon to get staples at a good price.

Now that you're into shoe leather, look around! You might find you actually enjoy not having a car even more!

If you want tips, just ask! Good luck--
Susan

awakenedsoul
8-15-14, 4:29pm
Thanks for all the replies. I've been saying to myself for the past two years, "I don't really need a car. The amount I was spending on maintenance has been going up each year. I'm going to see how it goes for a month and reevaluate.
razz, Yes, I've been running the numbers. My car is one of my biggest expenses. A monthly bus pas is only $32.00. I bought one after I joined the gym. It's been totally worth it, and I use it almost every day.
Packy, Thanks. I live in a very temperate climate. (Southern CA.) I don't need to travel at night anymore. The bus stop is just a block from my house. I can get anywhere I want to by bicycle. We have 100 miles of car free bike paths in our city.
miradoblackwarrior, I was looking into zipcar, but I'd have to travel about 30 miles to get one. It sounds like a car rental would be cheaper for me, too. I might buy a bike trailer to haul the 40 lb. bags of dog food from Costco. I can grocery shop more often and take the bus. It stops right by Sprouts, and they have excellent specials. I'll check out the subscribe and save option through Amazon. Thanks for the tip! I would love to hear any more of your advice.

rodeosweetheart
8-15-14, 5:30pm
Gosh, Awakened, I loved it when we went down from 2 cars to one, and when I lived in SC, a week would go by where I only walked or rode bike. Sounds like you can pull it off. And why not take a cab for those trips to buy 40 lbs of dog food?

You will save so much money!!

Packy, I once was so disabled I couldn't drive my car--it was a stick shift and I was paralyzed, left leg did not work. So sometimes, the bus and the taxi is a necessity. But yeah, it can make you nervous to go too far and know you have to get back--but sounds like Awakened has been working up to this for quite some time, and this is just the push she needed.

Lots of places have dial a ride, too, now...

Dhiana
8-15-14, 5:35pm
We lived car free in SoCal and it was such a relief not to worry about future repairs, insurance or the stress an accident may cause.

The bus took us most places we needed, we rented a car 3 times that year. Took a taxi about 6 - 8 times that year.

Rented a $20/day +miles U-Haul van to transport a large art installation which was larger than I needed but cheaper than an SUV.

Paid Delivery charges of $50 to Ikea for a double sized bed, sofa bed and a couple other things.

I specifically budgeted for these kinds of misc transportation costs and found it was much easier, less expensive, and less stressful to look at all the options available. I didn't feel like I HAD to make a vehicle we may have already owned work for every situation.

We have one vehicle now that we paid $2k for and I've used it TWICE in the past year. Both times, I would have simply rented a car for the special occasion if we didn't have one. I am so used to living car free that I literally forget we own one! My husband uses the car for going to/from work.

Just keep your Drs Lic valid and you'll be surprised at how easy it is to live without owning a car. So many different options for different situations.

SteveinMN
8-15-14, 6:37pm
DW and I have said for a while now that if something "terminal" happened to one of our cars, we'd see if we could get by with one. Between the two of us I don't think we're putting 12,000 miles a year on both cars. But they're both paid for and fairly economical to run and it certainly is convenient to have separate vehicles. So we'll see. I have another 10-15 years to not worry about mine unless some #*@& who's not paying attention totals it for me. And DW's is only four years old. Living on a bus line helps; so does being able to walk to necessities.

gimmethesimplelife
8-15-14, 6:58pm
I have been without a car for years in Phoenix, Arizona, a city known for it's urban sprawl. It helps that I live in the center, in walking distance to grocery stores and major bus lines. It's so nice not to have to deal with gas prices, insurance, repairs, etc - really, though it does add convenience to your life a car is also on big fat bill, and high enough that it can really cut into the quality of your life. With a car I definitely need an employer more - would have to play the game more and kiss ass more and have more wear and tear on my soul. To me it's just not worth it, though once again I live in the middle of a huge city so that makes it doable to do without one.

Best wishes on car free life Awakened Soul and please do update us on how it's going, both the good and the not so good. Rob

awakenedsoul
8-15-14, 8:23pm
rodeosweetheart, Thanks for the encouragement. A cab for the dog food is a good idea. I also live a few blocks from a feed store. I could buy dog food there and pay for delivery. (or use a bike trailer.) We have dial a ride here, too. I have neighbors who use it. I also have a neighbor who would probably let me ride in her car with her to Costco. She and her husband have one beater car to save money. I could pay her...she's really nice.
Dhiana, Thanks for your story. I think it's going to work fine. I have a lot of friends I see regularly on the bus. They don't have cars, and they prefer it.
Steve, I thought I was going to have this one for another ten years. I took such good care of it and did all the maintenance. But, Kia Rios have major engine problems and overheating problems after 100,000 miles. I still got a good run for my money. I hope your cars last a long long time!
Rob, I know what you mean. I think I can do it. I was really only driving the car one day a week to keep it running. For the past three years I've been "car light". The more I paid the Auto Club, insurance, smog fees, registration, etc...the more I felt like I wasn't really getting my money's worth. But, I liked the savings on gas.
Oddball, That's fantastic. I have an excellent backpack, too. I'm just thinking of the trailer for an emergency. (We do have wildfires here. One time I had to flee in five mins.) Thanks for the tip on the umbrella policy. I do own my CA home outright. It's in a trust, but I didn't think of that.
These are great tips, everyone. Thank you so much. I used my bike today to run errands. It feels totally different when it's your means of transportation. It reminded me of when I was a kid. I rode my bike everywhere: to school, to friends' houses, to gymnastics...Today I went to Walgreens, Food For Less, and the post office. Did about 7 miles, RT. I could have taken the bus, but I didn't want to wait in this 90 degree heat.

The weirdest thing is, I'm a little concerned about what the neighbors will think. Everybody here has lots of cars. I'd say each home has an average of five or six vehicles. I shouldn't care, but I wonder if people will think that I don't have the money to fix my car or to replace it. I just don't want to spend my savings on something I don't really need. I like having a stash of cash...

Lainey
8-16-14, 8:22am
The thought crossed my mind to go car-free after retirement, but one problem is my friends are geographically spread out. It would be difficult to visit or even arrange get-togethers at places we like. Also I think there's a grandchild coming in the next 2 years whose parents live about 15 miles away, so I'm figuring on lots of back and forth there.

But if going car-free is doable, it's definitely a big plus for a frugal lifestyle. I remember the classic book "Living Poor with Style" (title later changed to "Living Cheap with Style") where the author said no truly poor person should have a car. That seemed almost anti-american :) but it really stuck with me, and I think he's right.

ToomuchStuff
8-16-14, 9:03am
Oddball mentioned DUI, and that reminded me of a couple of people. One did get one, the other was a kid who wasn't real money smart (bought expensive rims and tires, instead of making the car payment, car with them, repo'd). Both bought those sub 50cc scooters and one did build a trailer for runs to Costco, or his step fathers house for laundry, etc. We have a couple of roads that while people use them as a regular road (see bikes in the gravel on the side), they are technically and legally highways. (40 and 45mph through town and slick in winter time)
Just one more option for longer distances.

miradoblackwarrior
8-16-14, 10:43am
Hi, awakened--
One of the keys to living car free is planning. If you have to buy that much dog food, can you double up on the purchase and store it someplace where the mice can't get it? Your pantry should be full (or filling--again, if you call a cab, load it up! You still pay the same price for it!). And, when you buy footwear, get really good footwear. Your feet are your best tools.

Actually, your body is going to get stronger! I'm glad you've decided to do this. Question to all--should we start a thread of tips for car free people?

Susan

awakenedsoul
8-16-14, 2:36pm
Susan, Can you the tips here? It's really helping. I'm soaking up all of this information. I've also googled "living car free," and found some great stories. Many of them are humorous. Some couples are even doing it. I have a metal trash can where I store the dog food outside. That's no problem. If I get a trailer, I can buy the dog food at the Feed store, which is just around the corner from my cottage. I have a 7,000 square foot lot with a 567 square foot cottage, so there's plenty of space for a bike trailer. (The driveway is now a landscaped garden! It looks really pretty...flowers, herbs. vegetables, and citrus trees.)

Today I took the bus and bike to pick up my box of organic produce from the co op. The pick up point is 11 miles from my home. I ran into some friends on the bus. I told them what I'm doing. One of the guys said, "You are going to save SO MUCH money. I've been car free for ten years." I talked to him about being the only one in my neighborhood without a car. He lowered his voice and said, "Most of those people are $200,000.-$300,000. in the hole, anyway..." He lives in a trailer and he owns it outright. The trailer parks here are very nicely landscaped and well maintained. He seems really happy and relaxed. He's always so friendly and in a great mood.

I was afraid I'd have trouble fitting all of the box contents in my backpack, but it worked out perfectly. The bus schedule coincides with the co op's pick up time. I think it's going to be fine, as long as I don't try to carry too much on my back. I may start growing more vegetables. I have the space, and now I have more time!!!

I love hearing everyone's input. Please keep posting if you think of anything else...

Lainey, I'm going to check out that book. It sounds really good. Thanks for mentioning it.
ToomuchStuff, I used to have a Yamahopper when I was 15. It was a small motorcycle, and it only went 30 miles an hour. I used it to to get to work, school, and around town. I loved it. I've been eyeing some of the scooters I see, too.

Oddball, Yeah, all that psychological stuff came up in my mind last night, as I was falling asleep. I'm already adjusting. I had just smogged the car, filled the gas tank, changed the oil, and paid the registration. Last year I'd put on new tires. It's really freeing to just let those responsibilities fade.

iris lilies
8-16-14, 2:45pm
This will be a very interesting experiment. It's a no-fail experiment because if you find that you must have a car at some point in the future, well, you'll get one!

It's also possible that zipcar will expand to where you can pick one up closer to where you live. Or the citizen taxi services coming out now such as Lyft, that's another possibility.

miradoblackwarrior
8-16-14, 3:22pm
Gosh, awakened, where to start?

To echo everyone else, you will save SOOO much money! You WILL be tempted to buy a brand new car in a year or two because you will save SOOO much money! Don't! You will get creative about how/when to purchase things. You will go back to the basics of cooking, and find your diet improves. You will suddenly touch your legs and say, "What the heck is that--oh, a muscle!" You will discover new friends, and rediscover old ones (which you seem to already be doing). Someone suggested a website which I found very enlightening: google "life after money", which is about a woman in the UK who was laid off, and had to retire. She still had a car, but the way she has shaped her life, discovering new walking paths, taking pictures, and reinventing her life on the cheap is very interesting, and very enlightening.

If I come up with some more stuff, I'll let you know. Meanwhile, enjoy the experiment! This is a whole new world! And just think, all those people with their fancy, expensive cars, will never, ever get to retire someday. And you will.

Good luck!
Susan

awakenedsoul
8-16-14, 4:05pm
iris lilies, One thing I realized was that the main reason I was driving once a week, was to "keep the car running." My mom's car had problems because she rarely drove it. Now she and my dad have one car. I didn't have a car when I lived in NYC or in Europe. (Five years total.) None of my friends did, either. It just was a different lifestyle.

Susan, I've been car light for the past three years. It's been a gradual transition. Yes! I love the meanqueen's blog. I think Aqua Blue recommended it to me. That's kind of what happened to me. I didn't plan to retire, but then my circumstances changed, and I was able to try it. My expenses dropped so much that I started approaching it as a long term plan.

The guy I was chatting with on the bus told me, "In Los Angeles, cars represent wealth." It's true. For for some reason, people will choose to have a huge car payment over having the basics. It's a strange mentality. One thing that really shocked me, was how expensive used compact cars are now. I did some on line searching. I thought with all of these SUV's, I could get a great price on a compact, fuel efficient car. Wrong. The prices for a car with 90,000 miles or more started at $7,000.! It just doesn't make sense to me. When I was working, I had to have a car. Now, I don't.

One thing I didn't expect was to feel kind of a grief over the car dying. I was really attached to it. It was so cute, and so reliable. I have so many memories of that car. It took me so many places. But, it's time to move on and bank the money!

Dhiana
8-16-14, 5:23pm
I think one of the reasons people cringe when they hear you don't have a car is that they think you'll be asking them for a ride. Don't.

We were new to SoCal and just quietly took the bus/taxi wherever we went and as people slowly started getting to know us did they even realize we were taking the bus.

Their first question was always, "Why don't you have a car?" and my answer was always because we didn't need to own one :) All that bus time is ME time, time to read uninterrupted, time to crochet, etc...can't do that driving a car :)

After a while when people realized we were just as responsible as car owners in their mind, we would start getting offers to drive us places they knew we were going to also. Not often but enough to see we were accepted despite our eccentric non-car ownership. We just led by example and it was surprising how many others began looking at their own car ownership a bit differently.

awakenedsoul
8-16-14, 7:34pm
Oh I would never ask people for a ride, Dhiana. I've lived in the same house since 1998, so people here have known me for years. One of my neighbors saw me at the bus stop with my bike. She came up to me and said, "We're downsizing. I told my husband, 'We've got to get the bikes fixed!' How do you put them on the bus?" When the bus arrived, I showed her how to secure the bicycle on the front rack. She looked interested. She's an avid runner. I saw her a few weeks later and she mentioned that she had tried biking to the store. She told me that she got way too tired. I responded that I had needed to stop 5 times on my first attempt. Now I can cruise. It took some time to build up the stamina.

Float On
8-16-14, 8:35pm
I just checked and there are a lot of dog foods available on amazon. I think there are other pet supply companies that ship to the door as well.

There is a man in our town that has been car free by choice because he liked drinking....but he's always had an attitude and expects people to pick him up and take him 12 miles to work. Course he'd never offer money in exchange for a ride either.

Float On
8-16-14, 8:39pm
I hit enter before I was done and can't edit on this laptop. Anyway, I think it's a great thing. I'd love to live in an area I could go car-free....the stress of teaching the kids to drive and the one kid totaling one of our trucks....the kids wish we lived in a car-free area too. At some point I'll have to give up driving due to the macular degeneration......and I won't mind. I'm so tired of driving.

awakenedsoul
8-16-14, 11:11pm
I know what you mean, Float On. I love sitting on the bus, looking out the window, and having someone else drive. It's like a luxury to me. I guess we're all going to have to give up driving at some point. I feel like this huge load of responsibility has been lifted. I've been reading some articles about people in LA who are car free. They're really funny. Some people get kind of like ex smokers on a crusade. I don't want to be like that. I loved my little car. It was so loyal and trustworthy.
I have a feeling this car free thing is going to stick. If this is an El Nino year like they're predicting, I'll have to walk from the bus to the gym instead of biking. It's not far, though.

Thanks for the info on the dog food. I priced flat bed bike trailers. I feel bad paying for packaging. My friend on the bus who is car free said that Costco ships all kinds of things for free. Lots of options...

Packy
8-17-14, 3:48am
I know what you mean, Float On. I love sitting on the bus, looking out the window, and having someone else drive. It's like a luxury to me. I guess we're all going to have to give up driving at some point. I feel like this huge load of responsibility has been lifted. I've been reading some articles about people in LA who are car free. They're really funny. Some people get kind of like ex smokers on a crusade. I don't want to be like that. I loved my little car. It was so loyal and trustworthy.
I have a feeling this car free thing is going to stick. If this is an El Nino year like they're predicting, I'll have to walk from the bus to the gym instead of biking. It's not far, though.

Thanks for the info on the dog food. I priced flat bed bike trailers. I feel bad paying for packaging. My friend on the bus who is car free said that Costco ships all kinds of things for free. Lots of options...Going by Bus, can be a great way to travel! It's just that it isn't mainstream in the USA, everyone's got to get out and DRIVE like crazy; the two major buslines have had to consolidate. I like buses waaaay better than air travel. Train would be good, too.

awakenedsoul
8-17-14, 9:56am
Yes, especially in LA. In some of the blogs I'm reading, people's cars die and they still owe money on them! Can you imagine? That would be a lousy feeling. It's what spurred some of them to try the bus and the Metro. Our trains have a pass that you can buy for $10.00. It's good to go anywhere in LA all weekend. I think if I want to go see a show, I'll buy the train pass and see a matinee. The red line stops a block from The Pantages Theater.

The next hurdle is filling up my 5 gallon water bottles and getting them home. I have very old galvanized pipes, and our water isn't safe for drinking. I asked a lady on the bus where she got her cart. "Office Max", she answered. It looks like the perfect size to hold one of my large water bottles.

awakenedsoul
8-17-14, 10:02am
I just got a PM asking me what I do if the bike rack on the bus is full. That did happen to me once. I waited for the next bus. That rack was also loaded, but since it was the last bus of the evening, the driver let me bring my bike inside the bus. It hasn't happened since, but I'm the first stop on our bus line. The bus racks here hold two or three bicycles. I have a headlight and tail light, and can ride home, as well. Bicyclists all seems to be pretty easy going. We can usually work it out between us. One guy might say, "I'll ride up the street and take the #6, or ride home." Fortunately, I don't have to take the bus home late at night anymore. It got kind of cold by 10:00 p.m. Now I can use the bus on the off times, when it's not as busy.

awakenedsoul
8-17-14, 1:34pm
Oddball, That's a great idea, thanks! My electricity bill is only about $11.00 per month. It goes up if I run the air conditioner. I think I'll order the one that you have. I'd rather not haul water jugs...

Spartana
8-18-14, 4:06pm
My car just died. I bought it in 2005 for $6,000. It was a used 2004 Kia Rio from Enterprise. My brother is a district manager there, so I got a discount. Last year I put a new engine in it. The mechanic recommended it, but I see now it was a mistake. They're not built to last. Anyway, I've decided to try going car free. I have a bus pass and bicycle. I use them most of the time, anyway. I figure I can rent a car if I need to go to an audition, stock up at Costco, or take a trip. If it doesn't work out, I'll buy another used car. It's a weird feeling to have an empty driveway...I've had a car since I was 17.Good luck Awakenedsoul. I think that is "awesome" and something that most in the L.A. metro area would find hard to do. Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you. I'd also love to go car-free but tried it here and find it too hard. But do generally ride my bike most days rather than drive but it's a challenge for sure! You rock even trying it!!

Also for hauling on your bike you might want to get a bike trailer. I have one that is for 2 kids (up to 100 pounds) that I got at Costco (but you can find then used on Craigslist, Ebay or at Play It Again Sports). I used it for my crippled dogs (had 2 at different times each about 50 - 75 pounds) and it worked great. On my second one now and use it to haul my stuff to "sort-of" bike tour with my smaller dog (who rides in a basket on the handlebars). You can really haul a lot with them easily on a bike.

Spartana
8-18-14, 4:19pm
On bike trailers, they are great. I'd probably have one if I had room to park it.

My bike trailers completely fold up. The wheels have quick releases so just pop off, and front-thingie you hook to the bike folds backwards and the bike frame just folds flat. Takes about 2 minutes or less to put together or take apart. Since they are so narrow and small when folded up, they can just fit into a small space at home.

awakenedsoul
8-18-14, 5:30pm
Spartana, Thanks. I just bought a bike trailer yesterday. It's on order. I did some research. I decided to get one that converts into a shopping cart. That way I can take it on the bus. (I usually use the bus and bike together.) The initial highway stretch where I live makes me nervous on the bike. People are going 50 miles and hour, and the bike lane is narrow and sometimes there are cars parked in it. The bus feels safer. Once I'm a mile in, the bike paths are completely free of cars, and you don't even have to cross the streets at the crosswalk. It's a really bike friendly city. The trailer I got is made by Burley. (If I remember the name correctly.) It's very well designed. It's $300.00. The guy in the ad in using it for a guitar, and he's riding in city traffic all dressed up to play a concert. It won an award in Europe for the design. It folds up to the size of a briefcase. I'm really excited about it.
Yesterday the chain came off my "new" used bike again. I fell off the bike, but landed softly on the grass. I think the seat is way too high. I wasn't hurt, just felt like a klutz. Fortunately, I kept my old bike, so I used that as a back up this morning. I'm going to take the beach cruiser to the bike shop tomorrow, (by bus,) and find out why the chain keeps coming off. I'll have the seat adjusted, too. I think I'll feel a lot more secure when my feet can reach the ground without straining. On my mountain bike I lowered the seat and I feel a lot more grounded.
Yeah, if I can do this in LA, it will really save me money. The main thing I do is try to get my errands done early, before it's too hot. The trailer will be ideal for the dog food and groceries. Also, I tried, and I can fit one of my 5 gallon water jugs in my huge bicycle backpack. I'll refill one of those tomorrow. The bus stops right across the street from the water store...

Spartana
8-19-14, 2:56pm
Burly trailers are the best! A bit expensive but really well designed and last forever. Plus they make all sort of designs to suit various needs. I love that you're folds up so small (post a photo of it if you can or a link to it it). I've been looking at a single width (i.e. very narrow) with just one wheel bike trailer to tour with and Burly makes quite a few of those. Plan to go check out Play It Again Sports as they always have lots of used ones for sale at pretty low prices but are usually like the one I have - a 2 child bike trailer that is wide and has 2 wheels that also convert to a buggy you can push. I used the trailer more often as a buggy back when I had large crippled dogs who couldn't walk far, but now I can just get a small compact one.

awakenedsoul
8-19-14, 5:23pm
Here's a link to the one I got. (The Burley Travoy.) www.rei.com/Burley-Bike-trailers (http://www.rei.com/Burley-Bike-trailers). It's the first photo. This morning I rode my bike up to the fruit stand that's very close to my cottage. (I always forget that it's there.) I bought a nice big watermelon for $3.00 and three bananas for .75. I was able to fit the watermelon in my front basket. I didn't have to deal with the bus, and was home within a half hour. Proximity is everything when you're car free! I also figured out a solution for if I ever have a dog emergency. If the dog isn't injured, I can use the Walkydog on my bike and take them. It's only a half mile away, and the road is flat. Otherwise, I have a large wheelbarrow. (I was thinking of getting a wagon.) When my pot bellied pig died, I used the wheelbarrow to move her body into my car. She was 135 lbs. and it worked. Or, I could rent a car. It just makes me feel better to have a plan. In case of an emergency, my chicken can go in a crate on the Burley Travoy.

They may be putting a Vallarta grocery store one mile from my house. They offer a free shuttle service. It's also a very inexpensive store. That'll be convenient if I need to pick up milk or eggs. It's right on the bus line, too. This is turning into a pretty choice set up, location wise!

Spartana, When you tried going car free, what were the obstacles? I know you said it was too hard. How long did you do it? I do find I get more tired, and have to space out my trips. So far, so good, though. My neighbor slowed down to chat with me on her way to work. She's a single mom and has an older SUV that's given her a lot of problems, a horse trailer, and a brand new white car. She refers to it as "the ambulance." (She's a horse vet.) She doesn't have health insurance and in her words, "never has any money." She asked me where I was going, and I told her my plan. She's really sweet. She looks like a little leprechaun. She asked me, "Is that you that's been taking the taxi cab?" (There's been a yellow cab on our street every morning.) "No, I think that's a drug dealer," I answered.
I was thinking about how in wealthy places like the Bay Area and Connecticut it's common for people to use public transportation. There's more of a stigma in LA. The people in charge are trying to make it more attractive and appealing so that we don't have all of this traffic! It gets really congested. I just like the financial side of it.

I was reading an article that said the younger generation likes public transportation. They prefer to have someone else drive so that they can sit and text and go on Facebook. That cracked me up! I was at the DMV the morning of my 16th birthday...

Spartana
8-19-14, 8:47pm
Awakenedsoul that link wouldn't work for me but I am familiar with the Tavoy trailers and they are very cool! Looking at a one-wheel cargo trailer myself but am in no hurry so will wait for a deal.

Going carless wasn't physically hard for me as I am carless most days and ride well over 20 miles a day just to get to the park to run and the beach to play volleyball and do long distance rides (over 100 miles) fairly often. It was more "hard" in a hassle kind of way. I had elderly parents that lived too far away to bike to see who I often saw daily (especially when I took my Mom to treatment everyday for months), and I had activities and people I needed/wanted to do things with that were too far away to ride - or ended late at night. So I choose to keep a vehicle but use it as little as possible. So technically not car free but sort of car lite! I could go car free completely now but car-lite works better for me right now.

PS the line about the drug dealer taking a taxi cab cracked me up for some reason. :-)!

awakenedsoul
8-19-14, 11:15pm
Spartana, We were laughing about it, too. You just never see yellow cabs out in suburbia. Well, at least out here. Sorry about the link. I just googled Burley Travoy. That's good that you can wait for a deal.

I didn't think it would be hard for you, physically. I was doing the same thing, (going car light,) for the last three years. Being car free is physically hard for me. Not in a bad way...I'm getting stronger. It really pushes me, though.

This lady at the gym said to me in the parking lot, "You just exercised and now you're going to ride your bike?" She was elderly, and was having trouble walking. I want to do it as long as I can. The French woman on another thread that had a reverse mortgage biked until she was 100! She lived to be 122. I had no idea that was possible.

Spartana
8-20-14, 3:23pm
Yeah my old Grandma (Oma) who lived in Germany biked well into her 80's. She never learned to drive and never owned a car so always biked everywhere all her life. My Mom, also born and raised in Germany, was the same and didn't even learn to drive or own a car until she was around 45 (I was 15 then and she and I went to driver's ed at the same time :-)!). She always walked or biked everywhere and us kids grew up that way. For grocery shopping or any bulk things she's either drag us kids with her to help lug it back home or would walk one way and then call a cab for the return trip. I hope I'm still riding into my old age, or at least walking everywhere. That is very common for older people in Europe and the rest of the world, and I think it keeps them healthier and fitter much longer then us car-loving Americans.

awakenedsoul
8-20-14, 3:43pm
Yeah, that's true. I lived in Europe for four years, and I would usually go to the market with my small hand basket every morning. Most of the people there shopped that way. I feel like I'm starting to do the same thing again. Since going car free what I think about is, "How much does this weigh? How hard will it be to get it home?" When I had a car, I was trying to combine errands and make less trips. They're doing construction at our bus stop right now, so I have to ride my bike to the next stop. It's slightly uphill, and it makes a big difference.

Today I went and refilled my 5 gallon water jug. It was really heavy. I'm not going to do that with a backpack again. (My trailer should be here soon.) I don't know how much 5 gallons weights in lbs. but it was very difficult to ride home. I angled my body forward and took it slowly. I made it... talk about weight lifting!

My car insurance and AAA are sending me over $500. back as a refund. I'm very excited to put that money into my emergency fund. My expenses already look lower for August.

miradoblackwarrior
8-20-14, 7:47pm
Hi, awakened--
I see you're coping well! Good show!

First of all, 5 gallons of water weigh 45 pounds (yikes!). If you are carting that on your back on a bike, I am in AWE!

Secondly, it took me a couple of months for my aches and pains to subside. If your body is used to sitting still inside a car, it will need some time. Make sure you have good shoes and good arch supports.

I'm delighted to keep watching your progress. It sounds like you are adapting quickly. Kudos!

Susan

awakenedsoul
8-21-14, 12:55pm
Susan,
Thanks. Yeah, I'm really feeling a difference. My body is definitely getting stronger and fitter. That water on my back felt like way too much weight. But, I got it home, and it's nice to have stockpiled water for an emergency. I called the bike shop to find out when my trailer will be here. He kind of hemmed and hawed. After questioning him, I realized the problem was paying for the shipping. It's $20.00, so I told him I'd pay for it. I may buy a distiller in the future, but for now will cart it on the bus and bike trailer.

Today I took the 7:00 a.m. bus to the gym. It was loaded with school kids. I may switch my time. I missed the bus coming home by a fraction...I was waiting for the light to change, and he drove right by me. I was early, too. So, I biked the 5 miles home. I should have had breakfast! I noticed a big difference, riding on an empty stomach. I stopped three times to rest. The good news is, I went to the feed store on my way home to buy dog poop bags. It turns out they have a clinic for the dog vaccinations there once a month. I can take my dog at 9:00 a.m. on a Saturday. That way I won't have to pay the vet. It's much closer than the clinic I used to use. This one is just four blocks from my house. They're also having a sale on dog food, so I'll take advantage of that, once I can haul it.
I saw my neighbor who has a one car family last night. She offered to take me with her to Costco when she goes. So, maybe I'll give her $10.00 for gas and make it a win win. At least now I have many options!

ctg492
8-22-14, 12:25pm
I studied Car Free living reading all I could Few years ago. I biked everywhere I could, grocery shopping and everyday living. I was in outside a city in MI groceries are a 22 mile round trip. The last year I accomplish only driving 2,000 miles. My folks were on the other side of the state and I could not stop seeing them. I found a good trailer as mentioned is needed. Proper clothing for every type weather. Yes I rode through the winter. I put studs on my tires. Helmet, lights and tools of course. I dreamed of not driving, then life went through a salt shaker for me. This last 11 months I have logged 45,000 miles>:( on car. My folks need me, we moved a few states from them. I beat myself up terribly over many things, the gas and energy wasted to drive that much made me feel like a failure. I have come to a point that I am doing this now and someday I will be back to two wheels fulltime. i actually wondered how people can stay car free in the USA with everything and everyone spread so far apart.
One tip is a power assist bike. I have one of those kits I installed on one of my bikes. I would use it when the wind was strong or I was tired. Www.cleanrepublic.com

awakenedsoul
8-22-14, 6:15pm
ctg492,

That looks really cool. I watched the Youtube videos. Great testimonials, too. Thanks for posting.

I think it's very kind of you to be helping your parents. You can't do it all. Someday you'll be able to do more by bicycle. I met a woman on the bus today who is also car free. Her car broke down and she didn't have the $2,700. to fix it. She takes the bus and train to work. She's from Spokane, WA, and likes the weather here. It's much easier to bike in this kind of climate. She lives just up the hill from the bus stop. We were comparing notes on grocery shopping. I've been doing a little each day. Today I took the beach cruiser to the bike shop to have the chain fixed. He made some adjustments and I bought a bike bell. He didn't charge me for the work. He's such a nice man. I took the bus and bike to Panera. I had a pastry and did some knitting. I biked to Sprouts and bought some produce on sale. Took the bus and bike home. I'm really getting into the groove of this. I'm seeing more elderly men biking on the paths. It seems to be catching on...

SteveinMN
8-23-14, 4:37pm
This last 11 months I have logged 45,000 miles>:( on car. My folks need me, we moved a few states from them. I beat myself up terribly over many things, the gas and energy wasted to drive that much made me feel like a failure.
I'm not sure I understand why you'd beat yourself up over something like that. We all have to make choices. Most of them involve putting a higher value on one thing than another. If the highest value was being with and taking care of family, and it required 45,000 miles on the car to do it, then you do it. If the highest value was carbon footprint, family expectations and money aside, then maybe someone could have been hired locally to help out your family. Almost no decisions are made without giving up something. So why beat yourself up if a situation works out the way this did?

awakenedsoul
8-23-14, 5:16pm
ctg492, I understand what you're saying. Thanks for you honesty and insight into living car free. You've really done it, and I don't know that many people who have. It's so helpful while making the transition to hear your experience.

Anyone else living car light or considering going car free?

Float On
8-23-14, 5:49pm
My grandma was car free and this has brought up a lot of memories about visiting her. You could find her out by the road waiting with the other neighborhood children for the ice cream truck to come by if she wanted a cold treat. She walked a mile to the grocery and called for a cab home. Otherwise everyone knew she'd be available for a glass of ice tea or lemonade and a chat on her front porch. I loved her simple life in town. She did too...much easier than the farm life she was raised in or during their early married years.

awakenedsoul
8-23-14, 8:21pm
Float On, She sounds like a great lady! I had an older "Aunt Louelle" in San Francisco who used to take a taxi cab, too. She was a hoot!

Today on the bus I saw the same group of people. They're all really friendly. At the end of the ride, I realized that I'd forgotten my bike helmet. (I have two bikes now. One I use to run the dogs, and as a backup.) I left my helmet on that one. So, I was lucky enough to catch a second bus right away. I only had to bike a few blocks to the gym. I rode on the sidewalk. I was thinking, "As a kid, we didn't have bike helmets." For some reason, I was so worried about getting in an accident and having my head splattered all over the highway.

Earlier on the bus ride, I had a flashback to my nursery school days. I went to a preschool called Acorn Academy in Seattle, WA. They had a van that used to come pick us up at the house. We all rode together to school and sang this song, "Acorn Academy, we love you..." I kind of feel that way with this Sat. crowd on the bus.

Coming home, two older homeless men approached me at the bus stop. "Hey, there's a rummage sale across the street..." one of them told me. I got this shirt," he said eagerly. "They gave it to me!" (It was a flowered print) "I got this table; it folds out..." his friend added. "Oh, that's a really nice shirt. It looks new," I answered. "That's a card table," I told the second guy. "We used to have one of those." They were really sweet. They seemed to pleased that I was interested in their good buys, like little boys. I'm not sure of their situation. I see them at that bus stop a lot. It was sweet. I was thinking about how so many people are trying to get rid of stuff. These guys found some things that they really needed...

awakenedsoul
8-26-14, 9:38pm
Yesterday I took three buses and the subway to my vocal coaching session in Hollywood. I got there three hours early! (I was afraid I'd have trouble with the connections.) Had a good time around Hollywood... hung out at Starbucks on Hollywood and Vine, and rode my bike around Stage 9 and Sunset Blvd. It took me three hours to get home. The time passed really quickly, though. Carrying a bicycle up an escalator and through a turnstile is challenging! I learned how to work the TAP card machines. Everything is computerized now. I met so many people...they were all really helpful and encouraging. There were a lot of bicyclists on the subway. The bike racks at North Hollywood Station must have had at least a hundred bikes parked there! It's a new craze...
The Hollywood/Vine station lets you off right across the street form The Pantages Theater! Now I can go see Broadway shows. It's such a relief to know my way around on the LA subway. I could have taken the Metro, but the RT fare would have cost $21.50. With my bus pass, I only had to pay $6.00 RT. It sounds crazy, but it was kind of fun. I only need to go once a month. I'll practice at home the rest of the time.

Tomorrow I pick up the bike trailer. I'm really glad, because with this daily grocery shopping, I've been feeling like pack mule!!!

mira
8-30-14, 11:00am
^ Waiting for public transport & riding on it certainly results in a higher number of interesting interactions with people. I often help out elderly folks when they can't see the number of the bus that's coming and that sort of thing.

It seems like you're enjoying and benefitting from the change :)

I'm nearly 31 and have never owned a car. Living in the UK, this isn't too unusual. Some people think it's odd, like my in-laws, but they've lived in the same spread-out town all their lives whereas my husband and I live in a compact city. They recently offered us their old car for free but after much deliberation we decided it'd be too much of a burden. We use the local equivalent to zipcar when necessary and even though we've got a baby on the way, we can't really see the advantage of owning a car in the city. Being in a car too often makes me feel disconnected and stressed...

awakenedsoul
8-30-14, 2:48pm
mira,
Yes, that's true. I feel such a sense of relief without a car. It seems like I'm more on track, financially. I'm going to need to repipe my house, so the savings will pay for that. Riding the bus has become very social. I see the same regulars who live near me. One lady wants to learn to crochet, and I offered to teach her. (We both knit.) She lives up the road from me. That's nice that you help the elderly riders by reading the bus number. That stuff means a lot. I've had a couple of men offer to lift my bike off the rack, or carry my huge backpack off the bus for me. Now that I have the trailer, I can wheel it down the ramp. It's much easier.

I can see why you turned down the car. I was feeling the same way here. For $32.00 a month, I can go wherever I want! I used to stay home and combine errands on one day per week. Now, I'm out and about every single day. It's fun to go out and run errands. The bus stops at the library, the post office, the grocery store, and the drugstore. It's super convenient, and just as fast as driving. The buses here run on natural gas, and they are all brand new. I can even take the commuter bus down to North Hollywood station if I want to take a dance class at Debbie Reynold's studio. Most of the auditions are on Burbank Blvd. The bus stops right there.

My parents were saying that they wished they had given me their old car, too. But, it was on its last legs, and I think would have been a money pit...I'm happy this way. No need to rent a car so far...I hauled the 5 lbs. of water on my trailer yesterday, and it was so much easier than carrying it on my back!

Tomorrow I may try the beach bus to Santa Monica. I think it would be fun to ride my beach cruiser along the bike path near the ocean. I'm looking into the details.

awakenedsoul
10-14-14, 10:13pm
Just thought I'd post an update. It's been over a month since my last post. Am still car free, and I really like it. The bike accident made me a little shaky, but I've fully recovered. I'm definitely seeing my expenses going down. I received an email inviting me to a filming of Alan Johnson's choreography in Beverly Hills. I'd really like to go to that, but will probably have to rent a car. It's quite a ways from here. I'll research it. He's one of my favorite choreographers, so it would be worth it.

The only other glitch has been that the bus has driven right by me on five different occasions! Sometimes the next bus does not come for another hour and a half! It seemed like the drivers were spacing out. Most of the time, they're really good. I called and reported it each time. Has that happened to anyone else?

Spartana
10-15-14, 3:18pm
Congrats on remaining car-free AS. I wish I could do the same but will have to stick with "car-light" myself as I have too many activities I do at night fairly far away and don't want to bike that far or ride home so late at night. Now if I was back in a small town where everything/everyone was so close and I felt safe biking home late at night in low or non-existent traffic then I might go car free but not here.

Not sure why the buses are passing you by unless they are express buses or commuter buses that don't stop at all bus stops. Otherwise they probably don't see you and you may have to step out and wave them down.

awakenedsoul
10-15-14, 5:16pm
Oddball, I've thought of carrying a flag. I've got kind of a lot to carry as it is...especially when that dog is out. (He chased me again yesterday...but that's another thread...) I was going to go car light and buy a Fiat. The car sales place was giving me the runaround for two weeks, so I got my money back. I'm definitely spending much less on groceries, too. I don't load up my back seat at Costco anymore. It makes a huge difference!

Spartana, No, they are local buses. We only have one line out here where I live. I'm on the outskirts of town. I've had to yell at the drivers when I'm on the bus for doing the same thing. ("Hey! There's a lady back there!") I think they're on autopilot. They have a videotape, so I call. Most of the time they are good. I can see why going car free wouldn't work for you. I used to take the last bus home when I had my business. I didn't get to our stop until 10:15 p.m. It was cold in the winter, and I never really felt safe. Now I can ride on the off times. I get to stay home at night, which I like.

profnot
6-4-15, 8:04pm
Thanks, OP. Helpful and fun thread to read. I'm taking notes.

I'm moving to a large city soon and can't wait to donate my car to Habitat for Humanity and live car-free.

Temps are mild so I don't have to worry about snow.

I hate driving in cities. I want to travel as green as possible.

I was athletic when I was young and unknowingly and happily used up my knees so no bicycles for me. My new city has lots of buses and trams but no subway - thank goodness! Subways mean lots of stairs up and down to stations. Yes, there are lifts for handicapped, but they are few and far between.

Plus stairways take tons of time & escalators are often out of service, as any NYC dweller will attest.

I plan to buy a wheeled folding cart with waterproof covers. I'll be an official Old Lady then!

I'll get an in-home water purifying system to avoid water portage and delivery.

I love to shop for food several times a week to get fresh produce, cheese, and protein. And I love Thai and Chinese home delivery.

My new town has fab museums and all public transport goes to them.

Can't wait to donate my dependable 1999 Accura and move!

Kestra
6-4-15, 10:07pm
Thanks, OP. Helpful and fun thread to read. I'm taking notes.

I'm moving to a large city soon and can't wait to donate my car to Habitat for Humanity and live car-free.

Temps are mild so I don't have to worry about snow.

I hate driving in cities. I want to travel as green as possible.

I was athletic when I was young and unknowingly and happily used up my knees so no bicycles for me. My new city has lots of buses and trams but no subway - thank goodness! Subways mean lots of stairs up and down to stations. Yes, there are lifts for handicapped, but they are few and far between.

Plus stairways take tons of time & escalators are often out of service, as any NYC dweller will attest.

I plan to buy a wheeled folding cart with waterproof covers. I'll be an official Old Lady then!

I'll get an in-home water purifying system to avoid water portage and delivery.

I love to shop for food several times a week to get fresh produce, cheese, and protein. And I love Thai and Chinese home delivery.

My new town has fab museums and all public transport goes to them.

Can't wait to donate my dependable 1999 Accura and move!

Good for you. I've been car-free for three months now and I love it. I haven't always owned a car and I never drove that much so it wasn't a big change, but I especially love not having the car bills. I did sign up for a car-share co-op so I have access to a car when I need one for a few hours. I've used that once. And I rented a car once for a day to do some errands and visit friends outside of the city. Like you I can't bike with my knees, so lots of walking and some busing. I'm walking much more than I have in years. Walking is now my default and I only bus if I have a specific reason - distance, weight, weather, too sweaty at my destination etc.

I like how it slows done my life too. You can't really rush when you're walking, and nothing is as stressful.

awakenedsoul
6-5-15, 7:01pm
Kestra,
Sounds good. That's great that you can use a car share. I'm still car free. The only time it's a hassle is when I have to take the dogs to the kennel. One time I paid a neighbor. For my next trip a friend is going to drive me. She said that she feels funny taking money, so I'll probably give her a generous gift certificate from the knitting shop. I know she wants some expensive yarn there.
Today I actually looked at a 2000 Mustang convertible. We took it to a mechanic, and he told me that it had leaks and I'd need to spend about $1,500 on it. I decided not to buy it. So, I'm still car free.

ctg492
6-7-15, 3:22pm
I revised this posting. My dream is car free as I have posted before. I really believe by 60 god willing still great health, I will be. Right now my life is getting back in order, beside the trip across state to Dad's every other week now I am back to riding bike everywhere I need to go. Dog class is this week,but the dog is not accepting of the basket yet, so that I need to work on. I had my Honda scooter tuned up and new tires put on this past week. I know that is gas powered, but I love it vs car. I still have my electric battery pack for one of my bikes if the wind is strong. I am shooting for at least 3,000 miles on bike this year as I got a late start.

awakenedsoul
6-7-15, 4:32pm
ctg492, I bet you will, too. Your scooter sounds cool. My dogs like the Walkydog. There are some videos of it on Youtube. My mom recently passed away, and it was a strain to not have a car at that time. But, I did get to see her... (I took the train,) and there were other family members helping. I haven't been using the bicycle much since Oct. I walk to the bus stop instead...it seems to be better for my hips. (I was getting really stiff with all of the biking.)

I wish we had Zipcar in this area, but we don't. I guess I could always take the commuter bus to North Hollywood and get a car there. Enterprise is closer, and they will pick you up at your home.

I do have a travel budget, now that I'm car free. For so many years, I missed weddings and parties because of my tight finances. I have an upcoming reunion with the cast of "42nd Street" in NYC. I'm able to go because of the money I've saved by not driving.

thunderseed
8-16-15, 12:27am
I've never owned a car and have never wanted to, I very much enjoy bike riding, longboarding and walking, taking the bus or just getting rides from people. Roller blading is coming back in style so I might get into that again too.

awakenedsoul
8-16-15, 10:31am
After my mom passed away I inherited her VW Beetle. It's 15 years old, and it still looks brand new! It's been a relief to have a car again. All of that bike riding was making my hips ache at night. I didn't realize I had worn away all of the cartilage and was bone on bone. It was probably from all of the intense training and work in my career as a professional dancer.

Life is much easier with a car. I try not to drive more than 10 miles a day. I've arranged for Dial A Ride after my hips are replaced. It's only $2.00 each way, and that way I can go to the gym and to my activities.

This car only has 26,000 miles on it. If I combine my errands, I'm hoping it will last me a long long time! It's been over 100 degrees here. It's really nice not having to take the bus in that weather. It's also a relief to just pop the dogs in the car when I need to take them to the vet or to the kennel.

frugalone
8-20-15, 11:45am
I had dreams of being car free. I've got two coworkers who are, actually. They live within walking distance of work.
HOWEVER, our car has been in the shop over a week now. It's a big PITA to take the bus to the grocery store, and at this time of year in 90 degree weather, you wouldn't want to buy frozen food to take home on the bus. Once my regular shift at work starts at the end of this month, taking the bus will be impossible because they stop running here at 6 p.m. I wouldn't feel safe on a bicycle at night (plus I'm waaaay out of shape). We don't have ZipCar. We do have Uber but I don't have a smartphone to use the app.

As for the bus, today I witnessed a conversation between two really odd young men, the gist of which was that one had never "had the opportunity" to "live large" by trying hard drugs and regretted it. The other was making phone calls during the conversation to a weeping female friend. Waaaay Too Much Information. I could not wait to disembark and get to work.

JaneV2.0
8-20-15, 12:33pm
I used to be entertained on my bus ride home at midnight by a woman who regaled all of us with tall tales that regularly blasted through credulity "I slid on my motorcycle and was trapped under a truck. The truck was on fire.." Except for the six months that I rode from Bellevue to downtown Seattle--a strictly commuter route from 9 to 5 over the 520 Bridge, with gorgeous views--my years-long experience with mass transit was mostly unpleasant: excessively long trips, lots of waiting around, occasional stops while the police escorted someone off...I'm not eager to revisit any of that to give up my car, but I recognize that some bus commutes are more pleasant and efficient than others.

SteveinMN
8-20-15, 1:27pm
one had never "had the opportunity" to "live large" by trying hard drugs and regretted it. The other was making phone calls during the conversation to a weeping female friend. Waaaay Too Much Information. I could not wait to disembark and get to work.
... and that is why headphones are so helpful when using mass transit. :~)

Greg44
8-31-15, 2:09am
My car died in Feb. and have been car free since. My dw has a car, but for 90% of my personal stuff I am on my bike. Have logged 1200+ miles since May 1st (transportation and recreation). I do have access to a vehicle from work for emergencies. It has been tricky, being a one care family with three adults. My dw is at home, so she takes my dd to her work or school or lets her use the car. Recently she went out of state to visit another daughter. I was home for nearly two weeks with just my bike. I soon learned grocery shopping was tricky.

What I love about riding my bike - great exercise, passing lines of cars during rush hour, upfront parking, catching a lot of vitamin D, not having to pay those insurance & gas bills, mental high fives when you pass other cycle communters every morning, powering up hills, pedaling through a corner, - something uniquely satisfying about arriving by bike - it is hard to describe!

Recently my bike lock jammed - at the bike rack at Church. I declined any help (pride thing). I returned and tried several methods to get the lock opened. None worked. A co-worker set me up with the grinder from work. My first adventure with one of those spark throwing tools! I just prayed no one would be at the Church when I arrived. I did not want an audience. Prayer answered. The grinder cut right through the U-bolt bike lock. When I got back on my bike after nearly three days - I felt like PeeWee Herman - it was great!

Williamsmith
8-31-15, 6:08am
I've thought about it...but I'm solidly entrenched in my love affair with my truck. I posted somewhere else that I have owned 17 vehicles in my lifetime.....well I actually forgot one so make it 18. If you figure just taxes and transfer charges alone....that is probably 15,000 dollars. I live in the frigid northeast where snow is on the ground a good five months of the year. No way I could go without a vehicle. But I'll keep thinking about the freedom of no gas bill and insurance.

Tammy
8-31-15, 9:58am
I absolutely love riding my bike! It just makes me happy. When I have to drive it just isn't the same. Biking is fun and driving is a necessity at times.

awakenedsoul
8-31-15, 10:42am
It's great hearing about everyone's biking, public transportation, and driving experiences. I am two weeks post op. I will start using the stationary bike with no weight for PT soon. I wonder if I will ride my bike for transportation again? I'm still not able to drive for a few more weeks, so I have Dial a Ride.

Going car free was great, but I have to admit I feel relieved to have my red Beetle parked in the driveway.

kib
8-31-15, 11:18am
I have a biking question: does the type of bike you have make a huge difference? I know that sounds sort of stupid, of course it makes a difference. But I used to ride everywhere on my 25 pound racing bike, back in the 80's, and unless I was on a serious uphill, it felt zippy ... productive. The bike I have now weighs much more, with bigger tires and a wide seat, sort of mountain bike styling. Although it's a decent quality bike, it seems like pedaling a mastodon down the street, as if I could just about run faster than I can make it go. 2 miles to the grocery store, uphill both ways.

Do you think it's the bike? Or am I just ... sigh ... old?

Tammy
8-31-15, 1:40pm
I think it's the bike.

I ride one of these:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=pic+carry+me+bike&id=AD5BC75BA7A9754E01DDA6D8F4A5DC54FD195084&FORM=IQFRBA&MID=2500&PC=APPL

Everything else feels heavy and difficult now.

Ultralight
8-31-15, 1:58pm
I think it's the bike.

I ride one of these:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=pic+carry+me+bike&id=AD5BC75BA7A9754E01DDA6D8F4A5DC54FD195084&FORM=IQFRBA&MID=2500&PC=APPL

Everything else feels heavy and difficult now.

Very cool little bike! I had a folding bike before but it was heavy, quite large, and still hard to lug around. I eventually sold it because it was so awkward.

The bike I have now I got for $50. A friend was going to sell it on Craigslist and I swooped in and got it when he found out I was looking for a bike.

A week after I got it I was in a fairly minor "frame re-arranger." The settlement got me about $300 or so to put into it. So I gussied it up with a new seat and such, and some lights. It is a Diamondback Topanga -- nothing fancy or professional. But I like it and it was affordable.

SteveinMN
8-31-15, 10:22pm
I have a biking question: does the type of bike you have make a huge difference?
Yes. My first bike was a Schwinn Suburban, which I am almost positive was made of cast iron. Big heavy thing -- but it was almost indestructible. When I got out of college and was putting more miles on a bike, I bought an aluminum-alloy Trek touring bike. The test ride alone felt like moving from a Chevy Suburban to a Porsche. I can't imagine slogging the Schwinn up some of the hills I tackled on the Trek. Yeah, maybe some of it is age. But a heavy bike -- it's like a heavy camera tripod. The weight doesn't seem to matter much until you're moving it all. the. time.

ctg492
9-1-15, 6:57pm
I have a bike collection problem ;) Sure it matters what type bike you are riding and for what purpose/ground riding on/weather ect. If these did not matter I would not be checking the weather and wind report before I go to bed at night so I can plan tomorrow's ride and where I am going.

awakenedsoul
9-1-15, 10:44pm
I had a mountain bike and still have a beach cruiser. I noticed the mountain bike was much easier to lift on to the bus bike racks than the beach cruiser. I was looking at those fold up bikes, too. I almost bought one. I thought it'd be nice to take with me on train trips. That way I could bike to my dad's from the train station. The ones I liked were pretty expensive, though.