PDA

View Full Version : Paradise Built in Hell

RosieTR
8-27-14, 11:03pm
I didn't put this in Reviews because it's specifically about disaster. I'm reading A Paradise Built in Hell, a very interesting book by Rebecca Solnit. The premise is that most people act well in disasters and it can be a transformative and actually in some ways joyful for survivors. This is supported by sociological research and in sharp contrast to the societal narrative that we are often fed by Hollywood and Doomsday Preppers (that people generally panic and are either useless or a-holes in a disaster). I actually happened upon an interview on NPR from someone who survived Katrina and he echoed her premise completely independently as far as the interview went (they didn't cite her book or anything). She does sort of downplay some things, such as how government and NGOs can help reduce loss of life in some ways. OTOH, I think it's a good idea since many people have the idea that there are mobs of angry or desperate people in disasters, which occurs during political upheaval but not as much in other types of crises. Anyway, I thought it could be useful for anyone trying to understand what to prepare for based on a little bit different perspective than you might find elsewhere.

iris lilies
8-27-14, 11:07pm
I didn't put this in Reviews because it's specifically about disaster. I'm reading A Paradise Built in Hell, a very interesting book by Rebecca Solnit. The premise is that most people act well in disasters and it can be a transformative and actually in some ways joyful for survivors. This is supported by sociological research and in sharp contrast to the societal narrative that we are often fed by Hollywood and Doomsday Preppers (that people generally panic and are either useless or a-holes in a disaster). I actually happened upon an interview on NPR from someone who survived Katrina and he echoed her premise completely independently as far as the interview went (they didn't cite her book or anything). She does sort of downplay some things, such as how government and NGOs can help reduce loss of life in some ways. OTOH, I think it's a good idea since many people have the idea that there are mobs of angry or desperate people in disasters, which occurs during political upheaval but not as much in other types of crises. Anyway, I thought it could be useful for anyone trying to understand what to prepare for based on a little bit different perspective than you might find elsewhere.

I skimmed this based on someone's review here, was it bae? It was ok, somewhat interesting. I skimmed the part about NOLA. There were other chapters that I skipped.

Yes, humans will rise to an occasion and their performance in such is amazing.

ApatheticNoMore
8-28-14, 12:05am
She does sort of downplay some things, such as how government and NGOs can help reduce loss of life in some ways.

probably because they were pretty non-productive or counter-productive in some of the examples :)

I think it's a good idea since many people have the idea that there are mobs of angry or desperate people in disasters, which occurs during political upheaval but not as much in other types of crises.

There are times I have tried to work (volunteering etc.) so that people's first instinct in disasters [well ok not really disasters so much as COLLAPSE - economic or other] would be to work together rather than to fight, but I don't know it all seems rather idealistic now :laff: And maybe it would happen anyway.

markarsenal
8-29-14, 3:46pm
I think a perfect example of the disconnect between the typical prepper/survivalist view of "what happens when TSHTF" and actual human nature is the typical person's tendency to procrastinate, then rush the work at the last minute, and typically still pull off something pretty good in most cases. If the world were really full of almost-zombie looters just one mild social disruption away from crazydom, I don't think this pattern would be quite so common (and accepted).

RosieTR
9-17-14, 10:42pm
What it means is, you can probably save yourself a whole lotta money not buying a ton of guns and ammo for the End of the World. Also, that it's nice to get to know your neighbors a little, because they are the ones you will be helping, and receiving help from in a disaster.

Spartana
9-22-14, 9:39pm
Although if you look at the rioting and looting and that happened in Baja after the recent hurricanes - no police or security, military to be found anywhere - some form of self protection, as well as protection from the elements, isn't always a bad idea.

Packratona!
9-4-15, 8:42am
I read the book some time ago; I liked it. Her main points were that govt. gets in the way and causes more harm than good, that the most effective disaster action and relief comes within the first few days and weeks before the govt. becomes involved, is done by locals themselves as well as non-governmental groups such as churches, and that stories of raping and pillaging are often manufactured and exaggerated by the govt. for their own purposes. I thought the book was well-written and worth reading.

bae
9-4-15, 12:21pm
Yup, this is one of the books I recommend to doom-and-gloomers :-)

Ultralight
9-4-15, 12:24pm
Hmmm... maybe I should give it a read.

ZanaHart
1-12-16, 8:56pm
I'm in the middle of this book right now. It's really quite inspiring! She talls about Katrina, 9/11, earthquakes, and more. Some of them really changed their societies in ways for the good.

jp1
1-12-16, 9:59pm
I read this book over the weekend a few years ago. Monday on my way to work I noticed that there's a Funston Street near our home, which flabergasted me since I had just learned how this general's efforts during the 1906 earthquake had been so entirely counterproductive.

ApatheticNoMore
1-12-16, 10:06pm
I got it free and donated it without reading. It passed through is all I can say ...