PDA

View Full Version : First car in 23 years

jp1
9-3-14, 9:55pm
I know most people here talk about reducing the number of cars they own, or at most have questions about reducing their car expenses, do they really need a new car, etc. I have recently moved in a most non-simple direction in this area. For the first time in 23 years I'm once again the owner of a car. Living in NYC and now San Francisco for all that time I've never needed one. However, my dad has recently gone into hospice care and shortly before that had decided that it was time to give up his car and gifted his to me. I don't specifically need one, but we do like to get out of town on the weekend from time to time and have always had to rent a car. Plus we use zipcars every couple of months for stockup trips to costco/target/etc. Now we won't have to because I'm the proud new owner of a 2002 Honda Accord with a whopping 19,000 miles on it. It definitely hasn't simplified my life so far. Before driving from Denver to San Francisco a week ago I had to spend $405 replacing the original tires. It'll be interesting to look at our expenses a year from now and see if this actually saves us any money or if renting 5-6 times per year and using zipcar from time to time was(is) the cheaper way to go. If nothing else the drive across the middle of nowhere central Utah and Nevada was a lot of fun!

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah155/jp3220615/2014-08-25085328_zpsd9d1a988.jpg (http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/jp3220615/media/2014-08-25085328_zpsd9d1a988.jpg.html)

Tradd
9-3-14, 9:56pm
Great view! Hope having the car works out in your favor.

jp1
9-3-14, 10:05pm
Thank you. I learned that my iphone takes remarkable pictures at 80 mph...

thinkgreen
9-4-14, 12:14am
What a lovely gift. Your father must love you very much.

Best wishes to you and your family through this difficult time.

rosarugosa
9-4-14, 4:56am
Nice JP1! I will be interested in hearing your future analysis of the cost/benefits of car vs. car-free.

Yossarian
9-4-14, 5:03am
That's one of those roads where you let go of the steering wheel and see how many miles go by before you have to touch it again.

ToomuchStuff
9-4-14, 9:02am
It won't save you money verses renting/zip cars is my prediction. I know cars that cars that set a while can need to rubber and gaskets, plus going from planning trips, to having the ability to go whenever an urge comes up, tends to make one drive more.
That said, the ability to spend time with the one in hospice, or help them with errands and such, etc. will make it seem like a bargain. (can't get the time back)

awakenedsoul
9-4-14, 10:08am
Congratulations on the car, jp1! I'm especially interested in how this works out for you, since I'm car free. It sounds like you're at a time in your life when you need a car. I'm glad you received this. What a nice gift. I'm sorry about the circumstances, but am glad you are able to spend the time with your dad.

I thought I'd be using rental cars for Costco, dog stuff, too, but have been able to do most of what I need with the bike trailer, (so far.) My parents are now down to one car, and they don't miss the second one at all. Keep us posted...

Blackdog Lin
9-4-14, 5:36pm
I hope having one works out for you. (gorgeous photo)