PDA

View Full Version : Yo, Cadillac To Market Self-Driving Car...

Packy
9-10-14, 4:00pm
Mary "Yogi" Barra, Female CEO of GM, has announced that Cad'Lac will introduce a self-driving model for the 2017 model year. Prolly ought to call it the "Coupe' De Airhead". This will allow people to focus on way more important things going on behind the wheel than driving. I guess you'd be able to text-message, websurf, and devote your attention to the passengers in your car, without watching where you are going, putting on the brakes, trivial stuff like that. Maybe, this technology will ultimately solve the um, impaired driving problem that causes so much harm. But, probably not. This is the company that made the cars with the ignition switch issue. They need to get basic stuff right, first! I'd laugh, but it isn't funny. I used to be a GM Loyalist, but not no more. I'm not THAT dumb. It's on account of the stuff they've done the last 10 years, or so. What do you kids think?

Spartana
9-10-14, 4:24pm
I saw an article a couple of days ago that said Google has self-driving cars (or at least has it's computer stuff in self driving cars) that they use somewhere in NorCal. Also heard Honda has one coming out next year and I believe Toyota already came out with one last year. Seems to be the wave of the future. I'm not too crazy about it but it may actually be better then it is now where people drive and text (and do a million other things) anyway but have to actually control the car themselves. At least with a self driving car it'll actually stop while you're to busy texting to watch the road, unlike how it is now.

JaneV2.0
9-10-14, 5:01pm
Frankly, I'm all over this. I don't like driving, but i like going here and there when the mood strikes me, and I like my privacy. This would be even better than an on-demand driver.

Spartana
9-10-14, 5:08pm
Frankly, I'm all over this. I don't like driving, but i like going here and there when the mood strikes me, and I like my privacy. This would be even better than an on-demand driver.

My plan is to put The Barkinator in the drivers seat and I'll just kick back and nap :-)!

citrine
9-10-14, 6:01pm
I am looking forward to this....I don't like driving at all! I also like that fact that roads will probably be a bit safer.

Packy
9-10-14, 6:17pm
My perspective on this is Cadillac's attempt at the auto headlight dimming system, that they first offered in 1952 models. Truth be known, it has still been undergoing development for 60+ years, now; the search for a really good, dependable dimmer system, at a decent cost has gone on ever since. Other carmakers have tried it, too. It has never really gotten mainstream acceptance, though it would be a good thing if it were. I think it has to do with the design complexity, reliability, versatility, and cost. Like the Hybrid cars, I think the auto-pilot will ultimately find its' niche in uses in certain(commercial) applications, such as heavy-duty trucks and buses built to last a million miles or more, traveling mainly on interstate highways, as the antidote for Driver Fatigue and White Line Fever. . But not in grocery-getter, end-consumer cars designed and built to give just 10 years or 200,000 miles of useful service.

ctg492
10-30-14, 6:35am
The car I am driving now that got passed to me by hubby(other post) has auto breaking, auto slow down for slow moving cars in lane, lane changing alerts, alert if you waver in lane, close to other cars, curbs back up alerts, Seats that squeeze when you turn (gosh I never knew I could slide out of a seat), alarms for traffic, not to mention all those extra inside features that I have no need for, it even has seat massager features which I thought could put one to sleep!
I felt like I was giving up control over driving when I drove this car yesterday on 696 and 94 in the D and there was so much traffic at rush hour. Safer for driving? I am not really sure. I never had these features before. Hubby has and would never go back to basic, he depends on them. No we have never seen eye to eye on cars. His new one has more, why I wonder.
This is really getting really close to auto driving for a standard car. SO yes I foresee auto driving cars very soon.

One last thought, there is nothing simple living about these features. :|( I felt like I was out of my comfort zone and life style. I went from my 40mpg car with Made in Detroit sticker, my Other car is a Bike, 13.1 to feeling like Here I am and I don't care a bout any of that. Guess don't judge a book by the cover applies here.

Miss Cellane
10-30-14, 7:15am
I don't like to drive. It's okay for short trips and to get to work.

But the only decent way to get to my brother's house, 450 miles away, is to drive. The bus take 24 hours, the train gets in at midnight, the plane costs $500, which is just too expensive for a weekend trip (at least for me). So it's 6.5 hours on the road, with two half hour breaks to preserve my sanity. I love Bro and his family; I hate driving to see them.

So if they ever get this technology perfected, I'd love it for long highway trips. Instead of sitting motionless in the car, I could read or crochet or actually see the scenery that's outside the windows. Not concentrate on the idiot in front of me who is constantly changing lanes, or dealing with the person who has decided that the speed limit on the NY Thruway should be 35 mph.

But I'm 55, and I don't expect to see this tech affordable and workable within the next 20 years.

ctg492
10-30-14, 9:08am
Miss Cellane, That is exactly how I feel. I need/love/have to see my father now who is hours away also husband is living working 9 hours away in the opposite direction. I thought all the same modes of transportation, car only option. I read all the time of car free living, sounds like a great dream. I can pretty much carry on "my" life car free and have done so for up to one month at a a time in the past. Living in MI winter that is accomplishing a lot I think. But the world is larger then my dot on earth. I wonder about those that totally go car free, do that have loved ones they need or want to see more then once a year? It is all the outside influences that keep me in that car :(

Tammy
10-30-14, 9:25am
Car free people often rent a car for occasional trips out of town.

kib
10-30-14, 10:59am
I would want the option to turn it off. If the conditions are right I love driving, but in crappy weather or traffic or if I'm tired, self driving mode sounds great.

There's been a lot of talk about this lately. There are some really good ideas out there, basically the cars have what amounts to sonar so they can move in sync, commune with satellite re traffic conditions or roadwork, and speed or slow to deter gridlock. The problems seem to be bad weather driving, understanding human traffic directors, and the "human" factor - if you're going to hit a schoolbus or a parked car and the schoolbus will do less damage to you, how does the car know not to choose it. Seems to me it may be good technology in a driver-free world, but not so great interacting with the rest of us. And then again ... even our current GPS occasionally lands us on the wrong side of a big street. You Have Arrived At Your Destination. No I bloody well haven't, it's over there across six lanes of traffic.

ETA: Spartana, yes, I think Bobomapoupalus would be an excellent driver.

JaneV2.0
10-30-14, 12:09pm
I imagine artificial intelligence will fill in the blanks--i.e. the human factor. AI is the Big New Thing.

ctg492
10-30-14, 6:12pm
The car I started driving this week has Distronic Plus with Pre-Safe Brake. It initiates 40% break power and alerts driver of breaking needed. If the driver fails to respond the system can apply full break on it's own. I am not sure how I feel about this as I have really only driven it twice now. It is strange to adjust to. Being in cruise control and coming up behind a car going less then what my cruise is set at, the car starts to adjust speed. If you are not paying close attention to what is happening , you feel that you are maintaining proper distance. Then you look at speed and see you have dropped a few mph. SO you pass and the speed increases on it own. There was a dip in the road yesterday the car braked and the red light flashed on the panel. But my question is, This technology is fully out there so why is it not being used by all???

kib
10-30-14, 7:47pm
Yes, our car has "radar cruise" too. I hate it and don't use it. When we first got the car I didn't know it was on, and kept trying to nudge up the cruise speed, but since I was behind another car nothing happened. Then I switched lanes and suddenly I'm zooming toward the back end of a truck ahead at 89 mph. It would have slowed me to the truck speed, but Disturbing, not to mention a waste of gas.

Miss Cellane
10-31-14, 6:42am
But my question is, This technology is fully out there so why is it not being used by all???

1. Because it is expensive and not everyone can afford a car with it.
2. Because some of us are driving perfectly good cars built before the tech was readily available.

I'm sure at some point this tech will become standard on all cars, just as air conditioning, radios, and USB ports have become. But that may take a while.

ctg492
10-31-14, 11:07am
I just rode my bike in the rain at 39 degree to the grocery store. Even with the weather, being on two wheels was far better then all the tech, traffic and 4 wheels.

Packy
11-1-14, 1:03am
I just rode my bike in the rain at 39 degree to the grocery store. Even with the weather, being on two wheels was far better then all the tech, traffic and 4 wheels. Wow, that is hardcore. And I mean that as a compliment. But, I hope you managed to stay dry. So, do you wear biking clothes, or your regular streetwear, like jeans? Just curious, because I'm looking around for bikewear for cold weather that doesn't restrict me. All of it is pricy, except for direct imports.

ctg492
11-1-14, 5:55am
I am not the spandex biker type wear lady. I have tried every type clothing and have found what works for me is dressing for where, what I am doing and the weather. Yesterday in the rain and I went out twice once to the store and once just for the reason that I wanted to in the rain before the 30 mph wind was to kick in. I wore my regular clothing and then my rain out fit over top. I have assorted gloves, socks, scarfs for winter riding. I have boots or my insulated shoes. I think I look nice not bummy. I am actually far better in cold weather dressing then hot weather. I layer in the winter. 35 degrees is the threshold for me. 35 if sunny can be too warm to bundle, below is safe to bundle up. I will admitt in the hot weather after years of riding, I wear my running clothes to wick sweat. I hate to sweat. I spent the last year in the south and everyone knew how I complained everytime I rode that required a shower afterwards! I ride in all weather except strong wind above 15mph, driving heavy rain, ice or really deep snow. Other then that I will tackle it all. I have snow studded tires for my winter bike. For 5 years (except the last 12 months of my crazy life) I have ridden above 3,200 mile a year. I am back on track to ride daily again as my life has settled and that is why I hit the road yesterday. Plus I love waving at everyone when I ride by in the rain or snow!
Can you tell I LOVE riding! I have bikes for every reason and way I feel. Helmets too.

jp1
11-1-14, 4:14pm
It will be interesting to see how auto insurance changes with this new technology. After all, as it stands now, when I'm driving and I cause an accident I, or my insurance company, is liable for the damage to the other party(ies). But if the car was driving itself who is going to pay? Still me and my insurance company? Probably not. Most likely it'll be the car manufacturer or the software company or some combination of the two.

Spartana
11-3-14, 10:05am
I am not the spandex biker type wear lady. I have tried every type clothing and have found what works for me is dressing for where, what I am doing and the weather. Yesterday in the rain and I went out twice once to the store and once just for the reason that I wanted to in the rain before the 30 mph wind was to kick in. I wore my regular clothing and then my rain out fit over top. I have assorted gloves, socks, scarfs for winter riding. I have boots or my insulated shoes. I think I look nice not bummy. I am actually far better in cold weather dressing then hot weather. I layer in the winter. 35 degrees is the threshold for me. 35 if sunny can be too warm to bundle, below is safe to bundle up. I will admitt in the hot weather after years of riding, I wear my running clothes to wick sweat. I hate to sweat. I spent the last year in the south and everyone knew how I complained everytime I rode that required a shower afterwards! I ride in all weather except strong wind above 15mph, driving heavy rain, ice or really deep snow. Other then that I will tackle it all. I have snow studded tires for my winter bike. For 5 years (except the last 12 months of my crazy life) I have ridden above 3,200 mile a year. I am back on track to ride daily again as my life has settled and that is why I hit the road yesterday. Plus I love waving at everyone when I ride by in the rain or snow!
Can you tell I LOVE riding! I have bikes for every reason and way I feel. Helmets too.Very cool ctg! I try to ride my bike most places or even just for recreation everyday. Like you I hate hot weather riding but also don't like cold weather riding too much (use to live in the local mountain - where it's snowed yesterday and is around 13 degrees today - and in both Alaska and Maine during winters and often rode there and it was crazy!). So kudos to you for riding in winter - especially in Michigan (brrr........) not quite as tough for me here in sunny SoCal :-)! At least I can ride in shorts and tee shorts most days but do wear leggings and a heavy sweatshirt or jacket if it's cold out.

Spartana
11-3-14, 10:11am
It will be interesting to see how auto insurance changes with this new technology. After all, as it stands now, when I'm driving and I cause an accident I, or my insurance company, is liable for the damage to the other party(ies). But if the car was driving itself who is going to pay? Still me and my insurance company? Probably not. Most likely it'll be the car manufacturer or the software company or some combination of the two.

Oh I hadn't thought of that. Good point. I wonder if insurance companies (or self-driving car companies) will put in some kind of clause that limits either's liability in an accident. Or maybe more states will implement "no fault" insurance policies and so it doesn't matter who (or what) caused the crash as they will pay out in all cases. But I can see the potential for law suits of self driving car companies and of the computer manufacturers.

Packy
11-3-14, 10:59am
Liability. S'why I still figure that the "self-driving" concept will end up being relegated to commercial transport applications in conditions such as interstate highways, when and if they get them to work dependably. At most, it will be a backup safety control, or like a "cruise" speed maintenance system. A semi-truck driver from this area, age 76, had driven a lot of hours on a hot day several years ago, was just rolling along the OK turnpike, and due to a lapse in his attentiveness(?) crashed full speed into the back of a line of cars stopped because of another accident, killing 10 people. The trucker lived & says he had no recollection. Settlement payout was in the neighborhood of $67 million! Another incident: 7 years ago, cars and a school bus were stopped on an interstate highway lane due to road work, backed up to an overpass. A semi, not stopping in time, rear-ended the line of cars, killing a couple in the stopped cars & hitting the bus and several other vehicles in a chain reaction. The semi caught on fire, but somehow the schoolbus managed to keep from burning. No kids were seriously injured. I live 2 miles from the scene, heard the sirens & saw traffic backed up. Later, I passed by. It was a mess, but could have been far worse. No telling what that incident cost in dollars, but the consumer ends up bearing the expense. So, again, I can definitely see a backup guidance system countering the effects of "white line fever", but due to the expense and complexity, not feasible for being used in your consumer grocery-getter, around town. No way. Prolly be more trouble than they are worth. About as practical as a do-it-yourself brain surgery kit.