PDA

View Full Version : When your passions should just be your passions

TxZen
9-14-14, 2:49pm
And not turn into full time work. :)

Hubby and I had a long talk last night. We are looking at our 10 year plan and frankly, it does not involve me having my weekends eaten up by my furry friends. I realized I do enjoy animals, rescuing, adoption, home placement but doing this full time now has made me realize I don't like it full time. And I am grateful I realized it now before I got much deeper.

The plan is to keep it going for established clients, since it looks like my holiday season will be lucrative and pursue some other interests as far as career wise. This is huge for me because I don't think I ever considered anything else but I also have to be honest with myself. We have decided once the pets we have are gone, no more for us. We can still contribute to rescues and help out but we both have had pets our entire lives. We want to find a small place at the beach to own- just a 1 bed condo or townhouse or even shack and then move closer to the city into something smaller once the DS is grown. This is huge for me because, as you know from my posts, I am a HUGE animal lover but after some serious talks with myself and hubby, I am not into the whole pet care business thing as much as I thought.

I have other interests in healthcare, on the health and wellness side, as well as getting back to my degree in athletic training. I want something outside the normal desk mode, that keeps me active as I head into the second act of my life.

I was also thinking about the physical side of chasing animals, hauling food, cleaning up,- the physicality of it. It's not something I want to do. I don't mind with my own pets but doing all that full time is not peaking my interest. The health and wellness path will keep me physically active enough and in a way I like. If that makes sense????

awakenedsoul
9-14-14, 3:08pm
I worked as a pet sitter for a while for side income. I had clients who were animal trainers in the movies. It was a huge responsibility. One was the trainer/"owner" of Morris the Cat. She had so many animals! After all that litter box cleaning, feeding, watering, and caregiving, I was exhausted. I felt like the old woman who lived in a shoe. I was with the animals more than the trainers were, because they were always traveling for work. I felt sorry for the pets. They seemed lonely and emotionally neglected. I don't pet sit professionally anymore. I love having my own pets, though. But, I have the time, energy, and space to take good care of them.

I totally understand your decision. Good luck with the new career path.

catherine
9-14-14, 3:16pm
I think one of the big things that my interest in the gift economy has taught me is that non-paying activities are just as legitimate as non-paying things. You do yoga. Nice. You teach yoga and get paid for it.. Oh! You're a YOGI!
You paint. Nice. You get paid for your art? Oh! You're AN ARTIST!
You garden. Nice. You sell your stuff at a farm market. Oh! You're an ORGANIC FARMER!

I've been playing around with many ideas for a couple of years, including stuff that would label me as one thing or another, but I've realized that I can do anything I want, and not care what it means to other people.

So do what you like, and do what you feel called to do. Nothing more. It seems you're not called to do the pet thing at this particular time, so go with that.

Good luck!

TxZen
9-14-14, 3:17pm
Thanks awakendsoul!!! I have done a lot for animals since I can remember and sometimes, it's ok to let go and be something else. I have enough poop around here to clean up, much less someone else's pets mess to clean up. And I really see how people live, going to their houses and some people give me the heebie jeebies. ICK ICK ICK!!!

TxZen
9-14-14, 3:19pm
Thanks Catherine. Yes, learning to listen to my inner compass is huge for me. Why the heck do you think I stayed in a previous career for 20 years? Because I didn't listen. :)

Lainey
9-14-14, 5:27pm
I admire your proactive thinking, GreenMama. So many people just let life happen to them, and wait til things absolutely fall apart before making a change.

TxZen
9-14-14, 5:38pm
Thanks Lainey. I think it's this whole being 40 thing, I ain't got time for that. :)

And I learned that lesson from my 20 year career, it fell apart and I saw it coming at least 2-3 years ago. I even think I should have never gotten my degree because I got bored in my junior year. But now I know to listen to myself.anks Lainey. I think it's this whole being 40 thing, I ain't got time for that. :)

ApatheticNoMore
9-14-14, 6:59pm
I don't think there's any magic in getting older, by and large it just sucks. It doesn't make you magically able or willing to do things you couldn't before.

Songbird
9-14-14, 7:48pm
I got over involved with dog and cat rescue a few years ago. As much as I cared about the animals, after awhile it literally sucked the life out of me. I still try to help out some, but never to the extent that I did back then...

However, even at my advanced age I have never been able to do without having a dog or cat as a home companion, in spite of having a husband, family, and a life that keeps me really busy. Somehow my furry critters give me something that nothing else does....

Zoe Girl
9-14-14, 10:29pm
I am in the same age range and I think that is very wise. I have some side things I would like to make a little income on and then I start looking at getting more gear, advertising, really creating something and it sounds like so much work! The current idea is abounding sewing, mending and up cycling. I can do all those already but I need to stop myself from spending a huge amount of effort to create business out of it. Just keep it at side work right now.

There are things that once they become work can ruin your love of it too,

TxZen
9-14-14, 10:35pm
Exactly Zoe Girl!!! I found my passion was turning into Oh crud do I have to do that again feeling or Dang can I get a break...and I shouldn't be feeling that way about my passions. I am very blessed I can spend a little exploring new career avenues and figuring out what I want to do with the rest of my life.

Gardenarian
9-15-14, 11:58am
What a good discussion.
I am leaving my job of 20 years in December. I will be taking some time off to get settled into our new home, but I know it won't be long before I will be wanting to throw myself into some sort of enterprise.
I was thinking of "really getting serious about my writing" but now I think you folks have a great point - I should leave the things I love to do as play.
I would like to teach yoga, mainly to deepen my own practice - but I'll have to be aware when I cross that line from "doing it for myself" to "doing it because I think I should."
I've spent so long doing things because I think I should! I'm looking forward to some pure playtime.
Endless recess!

TxZen
9-15-14, 12:40pm
I am not trying to be a Debbie Downer, I just think it's interesting we are bombarded with Seize the day and follow your dreams, which is a great idea and for some people, it works wonderful but I think I just tend to be more realistic. I do think you can still follow your dreams, but maybe in a smaller size and not have to make a career or living out of every single passion you have.

I know a lot of my friends have their own business and common thread is they either had the monetary backing or can borrow freely from family or inheritance or they were given a business through their family. Not knocking these people, but sometimes there is more to their success than meets the eye.

Zoe Girl
9-15-14, 10:26pm
I totally get it, there is a book about this by Barbara Ehrenreich call Bright Sided. It truly validated my experiences. I didn't have it work (the thinking positive). The party line is that I could have/should have down something different. The killer for me was when the really big stuff didn't work out then I was told that I didn't really want it or that I was punishing myself or something else. No the economy tanked, it doesn't always work out after all.

When I lived in Boulder I heard a LOT of this, pretty hard to take when things don't work out. So I started investigating the people who told me I could do amazing things (just like you GreenMama) and guess what! Lots of trust funds. People lived with family members, had rich friends to buy their products, had debt over their heads, moved to Alaska to fish or China to teach English. Long term not so many people made their dreams after all.

For me it is fine where I am at. I kinda need to earn more money, some things could be improved, but it is okay rather than the super sized stress of trying to live up to creating my dreams.

iris lilies
9-15-14, 10:55pm
I am not trying to be a Debbie Downer, I just think it's interesting we are bombarded with Seize the day and follow your dreams, which is a great idea and for some people, it works wonderful but I think I just tend to be more realistic. I do think you can still follow your dreams, but maybe in a smaller size and not have to make a career or living out of every single passion you have.

I know a lot of my friends have their own business and common thread is they either had the monetary backing or can borrow freely from family or inheritance or they were given a business through their family. Not knocking these people, but sometimes there is more to their success than meets the eye.

I find that the people who make a home based business work are at it 50+ hours/week. I know several (including DH) and there is no family money involved here, they work their buns off and make a modest living.

I also think that far too many people make silly, useless crap intending it as a "business" and think people will buy it based on the gushing compliments of 3 of their friends. I also believe that that low investment service businesses such as dog walking and etc are saturated. We've got 3 pet sitter/walkers in my immediate neighborhood.

That's why I am impressed with Siouxie here who sells earrings made of interesting components, she's not just another bead stringer, and she sells in Santa Fe where the "taste" level is, presumably, high. Jewelry is a very competitive market with many many people putting pieces together. Once again, I know a few just in my immediate neighborhood. So way to go Siouxie!

Tradd
9-15-14, 11:38pm

I'm glad someone else here is practical! Even with the economy continuing to be sluggish, the level of student loan debt, and the difficulty of finding jobs, I'm still surprised that so many people around me are continuing to encourage their kids to "follow their dreams" with regards to education without injecting some practicality into the whole thing. Majors such as art, drama, etc., are just not practical these days, especially if you're going into debt to pay for the education. There are plenty of community-based programs to follow your passion in such areas, but I've talked to young folks who simply consider such things totally below them.

I'm a decent enough shooter (handguns). I've had a number of very good experiences taking women new to shooting out to the range, and teaching them one-on-one. I'm able to help get them past their fears and to do well and have fun. This is happening often enough that my own concealed carry class instructor has suggested I take the classes to become an NRA certified instructor. That adds a whole other level of bureaucracy. I may or may not do it, in the future, when I'm not putting in so many hours at the office. I enjoy sharing my passion with them, teaching them to be safe and have fun, and who know about the future. In the meantime, I have about 10 people who've asked me to teach them to shoot, most are women, but not all.

Float On
9-16-14, 8:58am
That was one thing we heard so often at art shows, "Oh it must be great to make a living doing your hobby." It wasn't a hobby, it was our life. 70+ hours a week for DH and 40+ a week for me. The other comment was "You must have so much fun traveling the country to sell your art." Um, yeah, we really enjoy driving 14 hours straight, spend 4 hours setting up then spend 3 days in a 10x10 space and another 4 hours breaking down to drive 14 hours home to reload and do it again. Fun. Yeah.

One thing we've really noticed since closing the business is it is really hard to slow down and enjoy our experiences and hobbies. We keep thinking "work hard, push hard, do it faster so you can get more done". We've really been trying to slow down and enjoy more. When I go out to the lakes I now sit there for a moment and remind myself that I don't have to try and paddle fast to be back at the house in 45 minutes to pack orders. I can take 2 hours or 3 hours if I want and paddle slow. I am working with glass scraps but I'm not pushing to meet order demands. I'm just building up lots of stock and when the galleries that sell my line call I've got plenty to send out a selection box. It's fun again.

Kestra
9-16-14, 9:06am
Thanks everyone, this thread is so helpful to me. It's a reminder I need to hear often.

TxZen
9-16-14, 9:07am
Thanks for all the replies.

Yes, the amount of time in prep, management and ensuring you are a success terrifies me. I just don't have that kind of energy, coupled with trying to be a mom and wife, animal owner, house owner, life owner. :)

We decided last night that 5% of what we make in our salaries will go to animal charity of some sort each year. I am good with that.

SteveinMN
9-16-14, 9:38am
As someone who turned a hobby into (something vaguely resembling) a business, I have to say that attitude will tell you a lot about how to proceed. I found myself energized by the entire process of determining a market; what kinds of gear, marketing, etc., I would need; filling out the forms to register the business name; meeting people for informational interviews; curating photos for the Web site; and so on. It had to be energizing -- it filled the time I wasn’t spending at my day job or with household tasks. If you don't find the thought of all that work appealing, then that probably is not an avenue for you. Your passion should not become your vocation.

That was one thing we heard so often at art shows, "Oh it must be great to make a living doing your hobby." It wasn't a hobby, it was our life. 70+ hours a week for DH and 40+ a week for me. The other comment was "You must have so much fun traveling the country to sell your art." Um, yeah, we really enjoy driving 14 hours straight, spend 4 hours setting up then spend 3 days in a 10x10 space and another 4 hours breaking down to drive 14 hours home to reload and do it again. Fun. Yeah.
My wife and I have been thinking about doing the art-show circuit once we retire. To that end, I've been working for the past few years as part of the support staff for local art fairs. It's been hard work, but I've enjoyed it. Certainly, though, the reality of an entire winter on the road will not quite match the depiction presented by a three-day stint at a local art fair.

Float On
9-16-14, 1:32pm
My wife and I have been thinking about doing the art-show circuit once we retire. To that end, I've been working for the past few years as part of the support staff for local art fairs. It's been hard work, but I've enjoyed it. Certainly, though, the reality of an entire winter on the road will not quite match the depiction presented by a three-day stint at a local art fair.

Anytime you want to ask questions about it feel free. We actually will probably be back out there again in a few years - different medium, easier display, lighter commitment (not the 42 shows a year we were doing). It's a wonderful community and we do miss it.

Gardenarian
9-16-14, 1:52pm
On the other hand, my husband has been a musician since he was 12 years old, and has never had any other job.
Loves it, lives it, 100%.
I think you're extraordinarily lucky if you find your passion when you are young, have actual talent, supportive parents, and the discipline (or simply love) to spend most of your waking hours doing it.

Teacher Terry
9-16-14, 3:44pm
I worked as a career counselor for disabled people for many years & sometimes it was very difficult to get people to understand that acting, music, etc degrees were not worth it & they needed to train in an area where they could get a job since the government was paying for their training. I would have to pull up the job stats and prove to them. Even working as teachers in these areas are limited and we would only pay if they had a second area they could fall back on to teach. Some people are lucky that their dreams work out-many others need to be realistic so they can make $. Also sometimes you ruin an enjoyable hobby if you do it for a living.

TxZen
9-16-14, 4:27pm
If you are 150% passionate and know that is all you can do, eat, sleep, play, life..then go for it!!

Last week, I spent 30 hours just working on my marketing/selling and my budget. And that was just in under 3 days. I was exhausted. I agree, I don't want to ruin an enjoyable hobby. :)

ApatheticNoMore
9-16-14, 4:41pm
I dont' at all see degrees as not worth it just because it's not what you end up earning your living in (the problem there was not getting the degree, but merely thinking it would be what you did for a living). Yes have a backup plan, but practical plans also often fail. You can go into a practical field and find yourself unemployed and unemployable at 50 due to age discrimination. Then what? I'm not at all convinced I wouldn't be far more sucessful if I had done something "impractical" (more talking music teaching than being a rock star though) than where being practical has gotten me (I feel entirely at a dead end).

TxZen
9-16-14, 4:49pm
I understand Apathetic.

I also have to look at the bigger picture. While hubby is 100% supportive of anything I do, he does not want to be the one I always rely on for backup and I respect him for speaking his truth. We will be married 20 years by the time I am 50 and our DS, God willing, will be out on his own and DH and I can get some quality time together.

Yes, I could end up in a practical job and be laid off or discriminated against but I prefer to be positive and just keep going.

SteveinMN
9-16-14, 7:03pm
Anytime you want to ask questions about it feel free.
Thanks, Float On!

Lately I've been thinking of starting a fine-art photography business this winter, running parallel with the structural-photography business and mostly on-line or in select coffeehouses, etc.. Right now I don't have enough fine-art-type pictures to fill a booth, nevermind ideas of how to keep that going. I just haven't looked into it much -- I'm still trying to figure out what will work on a consistent basis for the structural business.... :confused:

SiouzQ.
9-17-14, 8:22am
Very interesting discussion going on here, as I am right in the middle of taking something I've always loved doing (which is fabricating beautiful items, whether they are jewelry pieces, or art guitars to hang on the wall). I have always been creative in many different mediums and as far back as I can remember, I've wanted to make my living as an artist. I could just never get it together until now (not that I am actually making a living yet, but things are definitely picking up).

I think it has been a combination of things that led me up to this point that I can actually make some of this happen. My daughter is grown and out of the house, I have no debt other than a car loan, I'm not in a relationship with anyone so my life is pretty much my own to do whatever I want with! And that is such an intoxicating feeling to me, after having been a single parent my daughter's entire life! I have a stable place of employment for now, compared to when I worked at the guitar shop. I am taking my jewelery venture at a pace that feels pretty okay for me right now, as far as the time and money commitment goes. I am going for the slow and steady approach because I am fairly realistic; I can't quit having a full-time job right now because I need the health insurance and other benefits, but my goal in the far future when I get closer to retirement age is to only have to work part-time at a regular job and spend the rest of my time making and selling my art and traveling.

I do work a lot and have to make a concerted effort to find balance in my life. That can be hard, as I am a natural introvert and it can be very easy for me to just go to work and then come home and work some more! I am trying to make sure I get out my guitar and play a little, go to an open mic at least once a week, or go visit and do something with someone, or go to some event happening around town. I also make sure I get time outside walking and hiking. Progress, not perfection. Right now I am in a little crunch as I have to get a bunch of jewelry ready to send out to various galleries for the fall season and getting that all organized and done has been taking a bit of time.

Right now setting up this business is still exciting and yet still a little scary. Initially, I had a hard time earlier this year making the leap of just making a bunch of jewelry and dipping my toes into the whole marketing and selling part of it, but in the past six months I've been working on moving past my procrastination and fear of becoming "official" ~ I got my DBA and a sales tax license from the state. I am about to get actual business cards and jewelry tags and cards custom printed (I've just been xeroxing everything by hand so far). I still need to set up a separate business account at my bank, and I am going to have to get someone to do my taxes this year as it gets kind of complicated for me with the home business deduction (I live in a co-op and there is a different way to calculate all this ~ I have come to the conclusion that this year I need a professional to look into it).

All the little details can get a little overwhelming but I just try to take it day by day and keep it fun. It's quite gratifying to get these commission checks in the mail!

And the best part is getting to play in the studio!

TxZen
9-17-14, 8:31am
I was talking with a friend yesterday and she said take a simple test. Where do you stand on a scale of 1 to 10 of how bad you want to get paid for your passions? I dug deep and only came up with a 3. Really following me heart.

Float On
9-17-14, 11:05am
SiouzQ and Steve, I had a whole long post and lost it. Anyway, a few sites for both of you to check out http://www.artfairinsiders.com (the forums there are great), http://www.zapplication.com (what most shows use for applications). SiouzQ if you are interested in growing your wholesale a bit more look at http://www.wholesalecrafts.com (its like an on-line trade show for American art/craft)

SiouzQ.
9-17-14, 6:30pm
Thanks Float On, I'll check it out! Right now the plan is to practice guitar for a little while with my As The Crow Flys acoustic partner. I got a hike in today, and did a little bit of administrative work on the business.

SteveinMN
9-17-14, 10:13pm
I'll check that out, Float On. Thanks!

chrisgermany
9-19-14, 10:25am
One of my favorite teachers at school warned us not to trust that our passions could be transferred into dream jobs.
He said that in the worst case we would be unhappy in our job and have lost a passion.

Zoe Girl
9-20-14, 11:44am
I was talking with a friend yesterday and she said take a simple test. Where do you stand on a scale of 1 to 10 of how bad you want to get paid for your passions? I dug deep and only came up with a 3. Really following me heart.
Very interesting and helpful. I decided to make my mending/alteration/custom sewing side work into a way to specifically earn money for retreats. It helps me also feel better about advertising, I have a hard time valuing myself and my work when it is fun. I am taking baby steps but I feel more hopeful since my day job runs a little short of the income I will need in a short time.

iris lilies
9-20-14, 2:16pm
Very interesting and helpful. I decided to make my mending/alteration/custom sewing side work into a way to specifically earn money for retreats. It helps me also feel better about advertising, I have a hard time valuing myself and my work when it is fun. I am taking baby steps but I feel more hopeful since my day job runs a little short of the income I will need in a short time.

I think that's a nice, neat, and tidy way to wrap up your allotment of "fun" money. You can have as much fun (at a retreat) as you have fun (sewing.) One feeds the other.

I've thought of doing that in retirement, having small fun projects that are my passion (growing lilies 'n iris) and selling them to fund another interest, our local Park Conservancy. That could cover my financial obligation to the Park Conservancy. If I make $25 in a year, they'll get $25. If I make $250 they will get $250. I also have an idea for making Holiday plant arrangements and selling those, all proceeds to go to the Park Conservancy. I would use many of the flora found in the Park for greenery in the arrangements. It would pull in $150 - $250 I think.