PDA

View Full Version : not very good at my job right now

Zoe Girl
9-14-14, 10:54pm
So take that as a real buddhist type statement, I am being honest and not going down a self pity or self punishment route. I just looked at some data and feedback and I am not good where I need to be going into this school year. There have been changes as there are every year but this year is putting a lot of extra responsibility on me for things that are not my strengths so far. I think I can find this a challenge, but I am also more alone in my department than every before. My 2 work confidents are no more, and I don't trust anyone else at this time. So this is scary, lonely,

The issue is both increasing numbers of attenders and living in a strict budget. I thought I stuck to my budget over the summer for camp, I had decent attendance and we had a theme that showed impact based on end of camp surveys. I was even 'allowed' to try my own lesson plan format with my team instead of the required one from the last 2 years (can I say it sucked!). Now I am looking at other schools with similar programs within my department and realizing that some of my judgement of their programs may be misplaced. Other summer programs simply had more numbers and lower cost it seems, even the one with the supervisor who wrote the horrible lesson plan template. I believed in the way I was doing things, believed that it was better, and don't have much to show for it.

The big thing is that I REALLY want and need to get good at this. I applied for and was interviewed extensively for the same type of position at a gifted and talented private school a few months ago. I went through 2 phone screenings and two 2-hour long interviews. I know one of the staff really wanted me hired but I don't know who else interviewed and what they were like. I know I was in the top 2 candidates. The starting pay was $10K more than I make now and would be livable when child support funds are gone (in this economy I expect to at least support my child with housing after he turns 19). I had also applied for an advanced position in my department and got a 'non-interview', basically a conversation telling me I was not promotable, partially because I had not been successful yet at my site meeting goals.

So what is the question or conversation starter here? How do you strive to get better at something without getting totally overwhelmed by it? I usually at this point just want out/give up and try to leave the job. I don't think that is the best idea. I just know that between not having any work friendships and feeling deeply misunderstood most of my life (I am INFJ, the 3% club) What I AM good at and came up at my end of year evaluation in August is to fiercely stand up for my staff and families. I am in the middle of getting scholarships for the paid programming for many people and I am NOT making friends. I have been told directly and by a variety of supervisors that good staff go out of their way to work for me. But at the end of the day I feel most comfortable running a smaller, more intimate program and teaching classes myself at times rather than hiring 20 expensive providers and maxing out. I need to learn to do this out of my comfort zone I guess.

TxZen
9-15-14, 8:09am
Find a mentor. Look at what your weaknesses are and build them up. Use your strengths and write them down and keep them in front of you so you don't get discouraged. And most importantly, take care of yourself. As someone who ended up on medication because of stress from my job, it's not worth it. Breathe. :)

citrine
9-15-14, 8:58am
Can you start your own business? It seems to me that you would be great at offering a small tutoring place...come up with your program and hire people who would be helping kids learn. I am an INFP and boy what a hard time I had in corporate. I need my work to fulfill me and I need to know that I directly helped somebody feel better. I also need to be creative and work on my own time. The Myers Briggs is an awesome tool in finding out what will work for you :)

Zoe Girl
9-16-14, 9:13am
Thank you both, I do think looking for a mentor is a good idea. I have someone who has been super supportive including that job interview process. I do honestly want to push through this and develop better skills in my weak areas. If I ever did go into business for myself I would need those skills to be better anyway.

Part of thinking about what you said citrine is realizing how much on a practical and other level I get out of my job. As low as my income is there is no way I could make this consistent money on my own small tutoring business. I have known enough people who have done that for a variety of reasons. And a huge reason to keep at this is that I get a great deal on my student loans as long as I work in public service, in 10 years (I have 2 1/2 down) they will be wiped clean.

On a side note, talking to some people in my department it is agreed that this has been the worst start up of a school year EVER. We do not have what we need on a very practical level and we are focusing on big goals and dreams while basic paperwork is missing. So it is not just me,..

iris lilies
9-16-14, 9:35am
...And a huge reason to keep at this is that I get a great deal on my student loans as long as I work in public service, in 10 years (I have 2 1/2 down) they will be wiped clean.

I think that IS a good reason to stay where you are.

Just keep in mind that there is a great big tax hit on that forgiven loan--the IRS treats it as windfall money. never mind.

edited to add:
not true for OP's program.

Zoe Girl
9-17-14, 11:41pm
thank you iris, i have 7 years but i would not have known that

iris lilies
9-18-14, 12:04am
thank you iris, i have 7 years but i would not have known that

I am probably wrong about that! Sorry! Since you are in the public employment forgiveness program, according to the website below, you won't need to pay tax. So never mind.:)

https://www.tuition.io/student-loan-help/how-to-guides/how-to-minimize-the-tax-impact-of-taxable-student-loan-forgiveness/

Zoe Girl
9-18-14, 10:34am
I am probably wrong about that! Sorry! Since you are in the public employment forgiveness program, according to the website below, you won't need to pay tax. So never mind.:)

https://www.tuition.io/student-loan-help/how-to-guides/how-to-minimize-the-tax-impact-of-taxable-student-loan-forgiveness/

Oh wow, thank you for looking that up. Now I am even happier at my job. Actually we are 4 weeks into school and I am feeling like it is smoothing out, whew.

If you work in any type of public service please look this up. It makes it much easier to take jobs we enjoy and still financially survive.