PDA

View Full Version : When simple pleasures change

TxZen
9-30-14, 9:08am
I used to be ritualistic about my coffee in the morning. It was an ordered way of greeting my day. Warm mug of coffee, with the sugar and creamer swirling around, small sips, taking in every smell and letting it press between my tongue and the top of my mouth. The warmth in my belly as it hit.

Over the past year or so, I have noticed I do not enjoy coffee as much as I used to. Breakfast either. It's weird to explain but I just feel like my simple pleasures are changing.

Now I enjoy getting up, letting out the dogs, taking the morning for even 2 minutes. If it's during the week, I get my son up for school and off in 35 minutes. Then I come home, check my email and postings like this and just slip into the day. I haven't touched my coffee maker in 3 days. Breakfast used to be somewhat of a ritual too, thinking I had to nourish myself first thing with food. Now I nourish with peace and energy ever morning. I may not have a bite to eat until 9.

I am finding, as I gracefully grow into who I am, I am shedding, like the layers of decluttering, the layers of my old self. I did things that way because I always did them that way. It's not that I didn't have some joy but at some point, it change and I forgot to change with it. Allowing myself to do so is making for quite an interesting life and I am looking forward to what's around the next corner.

I used to be afraid of change. Don't know why- I think because I always felt something bad was coming or it was going to hurt. Now I embrace it. It's been nice. :)

Soulhiker
11-18-14, 9:46am
Thanks for sharing this Green Mama. It's nice hearing about people's success stories with shedding off things and habits like is the case with your coffee drinking. I actually share the same experience as you had. Not drinking coffee anymore has been part and parcel of my overall lifestyle change into a simpler and uncluttered one.

Well done and thanks!

KayLR
11-18-14, 12:30pm
This is such an intriguing topic; I've been noticing the same types of changes myself in the past year. I feel as though my body and mind are preparing me for retirement and the next phase of evolution. I am enjoying pastimes previously set aside, like sewing and gardening. And I've lost my drive for career success, whatever that is. It's just not who I am anymore. Yet, I've not discovered who I am going to be in this next phase.

Thanks for sharing this, Greenmama---I'm going to keep following this discussion and look for the book Oddball recommended.

ApatheticNoMore
11-18-14, 12:42pm
I used to be afraid of change. Don't know why- I think because I always felt something bad was coming or it was going to hurt. Now I embrace it. It's been nice.

the best I can usually get to is accepting it will hurt, it may bring up all sorts of stress or hurts and so be it

But maybe that's the same thing

TxZen
11-18-14, 2:52pm
You know, the more I embrace change, the less painful it has become. Just happened AGAIN to me.

My previous job, I wrote the Director of Marketing to see if I could help, for free, on some marketing projects. Trying to build my resume and skills. She asked me to come out and "help" out with a new clinic opening. You know what I did? Set up a table with information and greeted people. While I think my skills were way underused, I choose to move ahead- Action is magic. I embraced this change and opportunity in life and moved through it. :)