PDA

View Full Version : scooters

Zoe Girl
10-3-14, 9:34am
Hi all, I have been thinking seriously about getting a scooter as my second vehicle for awhile. I live in Colorado and have a Subaru so I do have all year transportation already. However my son has had his permit forever and once he gets a job then he can get his license, and I don't have anything he can really start driving until he can earn an entire car amount of money. I would love if he went to school as well, getting to the campus is easy by bus but my daughter had the issue of going to school and work on public transportation, our public system is not quite that good yet.

The other reasons are that they are cute, the gas mileage is incredible, and there are nice enough days throughout the year in Colorado so I could ride it some times in the winter. Oh yeah, no motorcycle license needed :)

has anyone had a scooter and how did it work?

reader99
10-3-14, 10:07am
I have one and it's badly designed and poorly constructed. You have to be careful what manufacturer made it and that the dealer is reputable. Mine is a cheap Chinese model. I bought it because no insurance is required, no motorcycle endorsement, and a fill up is one gallon. The headlights failed the first week; it turned out that when they were building it they crimped a wire too tight and it soon broke. Same thing a year later with a wire in the ignition. I suggest you look into Japanese or American made.

IshbelRobertson
10-3-14, 10:22am
I had one, back in the days when 'mods' had scooters and 'rockers' had motorbikes. Even had a big parka,. Most unusual for girls to own one in those days, they usually sat on the back seat, looking fab! Mine was an Italian Lambretta, but my then boyfriend had a Vespa.

iris lilies
10-3-14, 10:35am
I had one, back in the days when 'mods' had scooters and 'rockers' had motorbikes. Even had a big parka,. Most unusual for girls to own one in those days, they usually sat on the back seat, looking fab! Mine was an Italian Lambretta, but my then boyfriend had a Vespa.

DH has a 1964 Vespa scooter with original paint that looks just like this one in the photo. His is an "Allstate" scooter, made by Vespa for the American market.

http://s.hswstatic.com/gif/1964-vespa-allstate-cruisaire-1.jpg

Zoe Girl
10-3-14, 8:02pm
Sounds like a good reason to spend some extra for the Vespa or similar models. It makes sense that there are so many amazingly cheap ones listed on places like Craigslist

awakenedsoul
10-3-14, 10:38pm
I drove a Yamahopper back in 1980. It was technically a motorcycle, (even though it only went about 35 miles an hour.) I had to get a motorcycle license. It was very well made. I never had any problems with it. I drove it to school every day, and to the ballet studio (where I worked,) every afternoon. It gave me my independence and got me home safely in the evenings. I was also able to get my license at age 15 for the Yamahopper. I really liked it. it cost me $500.00, and the helmet was another $50.00.
My brothers crashed it after I moved out...but by then I was driving a '67 Chevy...

Zoe Girl
10-3-14, 11:58pm
one reason to look at scooters instead of motorcycles is that I am pretty short and have really short legs. I tried to learn to ride a motorcycle once, my ex raced them after all, and I would have ended up on something that was super small to just reach the ground. Scooters seem more my size

IshbelRobertson
10-4-14, 6:22am
DH has a 1964 Vespa scooter with original paint that looks just like this one in the photo. His is an "Allstate" scooter, made by Vespa for the American market.

http://s.hswstatic.com/gif/1964-vespa-allstate-cruisaire-1.jpg

My then boyfriend's vespa was red! My Lambretta GT200 was mostly white with a little bit of sky blue trim.

Gardenarian
10-4-14, 2:52pm
I've had mopeds and small motorcycles, but never a scooter. I'm thinking of getting an electric one when we move to Oregon. Most everything is walkable/bikeable, but it would be great to have an alternative on occasion. Electric scooters come in really wide range of prices, depending on how far and fast they'll go, how much weight they can carry, etc. I saw a lot of electric scooters and electric assist bicycles in Ashland. Fun!

Packy
10-4-14, 3:17pm
Tell you what---DH should ride that one to Sturgis, next time! Yahahaaahaahaaahaaahaahahaahaahahahaahaahaahahaaha haahahahaahahaahaha!

Packy
10-4-14, 3:23pm
Seriously, though kids--weather and road conditions limit the number of days it can be used; they really aren't built to last; top speed is low; and one collision that would be just a fender-bender in a car, could be very, very serious on a tiny motorcycle. But, under certain conditions, in certain locales, it might be very practical. Especially if you can store it inside & perform maintenance and repairs yourself. Seems to me that "Cushman" was the dominant brand in the USA, back in the 50's & 60's.