PDA

View Full Version : Do copper bracelets work for arthritis pain?

CathyA
10-23-14, 3:47pm
I have pretty bad arthritis in my fingers. But yesterday, my one wrist started hurting really badly. I can only take tylenol, which doesn't seem to do anything for the pain.
I've tried heat and now I'm trying ice. I tried a warm epsom salt arm bath which didn't help either.. Have any of you ever used a copper bracelet for arthritis pain? My dentist used one for awhile and said it did work for him.
This is coming at a bad time, as I'm trying to do a lot of cleaning out, and I still have the watergardens and yard to deal with. :(

bae
10-23-14, 5:10pm
No, they don't.

It's pure placebo effect and voodoo.

Tammy
10-23-14, 5:28pm
Motrin is better than Tylenol for most arthritic pain

IshbelRobertson
10-23-14, 5:33pm
No, they don't work, and stain wrists green!

CathyA
10-23-14, 5:46pm
I can't take any NSAID. I used them a lot when I was younger, and they destroyed my GI tract. :(
I can't take ASA either.

awakenedsoul
10-23-14, 5:54pm
When I was growing up, I had a wonderful neighbor up the street named Jane Hutchinson. She grew raspberries, vegetables, and herbs. I went over to her house every day and she taught me to knit, darn socks, embroider, and cook. She would send me home with apple crisp and other delicious treats.

She swore by her copper bracelet for arthritis. I think she told me it was a Native American belief. She was very serious about it. She was also very into 100% Castille soap. She gave me boxes of it to take home. She was religious about washing her face with it. Different people have different levels of sensitivity and awareness. A copper bracelet might help you. Who knows? What have you got to lose?

JaneV2.0
10-23-14, 6:07pm
Placebo is the best medicine, IMO. No graft, no hype, and best of all--no side effects!
The body is good at healing itself if we just get out of its way.

bae
10-23-14, 6:33pm
. A copper bracelets might help you. Who knows? What have you got to lose?

A teeny bit of research will find you peer-reviewed science showing there is no effect of the magical properties of wearing copper wristbands, or magnets, or any of the other voodoo people try to sell you on.

What do you have to lose? Living with an inflammatory disease that will long-term contribute to other Really Bad Things. That's what you have to lose. Your long-term health. Inflammation in the body is A Bad Thing.

Find a real doctor, who understands science.

JaneV2.0
10-23-14, 7:01pm
Find a real doctor, who understands science.

Good luck with that. We all know people who have spent years going from doctor to doctor looking for relief from chronic conditions, suffering from the side effects of high-priced drugs, one after the other--many of which cause conditions that are worse than the original. You might get lucky and find a practitioner who knows what they're doing. I'd suggest one who starts with lifestyle changes and only uses drugs as a last resort.

bae
10-23-14, 7:08pm
You might get lucky and find a practitioner who knows what they're doing.

I suggest that the best course is not to rely on luck for that.

"What do you call the person who graduates at the bottom of their class in medical school?"

"Doctor"

JaneV2.0
10-23-14, 7:16pm
Ha ha--I point that out regularly!
I imagine CathyA has been thoroughly examined and diagnosed--right, CathyA?

lessisbest
10-23-14, 7:19pm
I've suffered with arthritis since I was 14-years old (I'll be 62 next month). Copper didn't do diddly (but that was just my experience), magnets helped some, the first thing that actually gave me back my mobility when I was in my mid-20's was GH3, and I took it for about 5-years until I couldn't find a source for it any longer. The one thing I have done with turn-around results was going gluten-free (since January 2013). Example of improvement.... We attended the Monday night football game recently between the Rams and 49ers. Jumping up and down all night, stomping feet, clapping --- and a few years ago I would have had difficulty with my knees and ankles the next day, almost to the point of hobbling in pain, and my fingers would have been "locked" in a fist with swelling and pain for several hours. I can't take OTC pain relievers and won't take Rx meds, so I sought any kind of alternative relief for all this time. I was amazed the next morning after the football game that nothing bothered me. No pain or swelling, and the only big change in my life was giving up gluten.

Two years ago I was only able to do hand-work (knitting, crocheting, quilting) for about 20-30-minutes a day without problems with my hands the next day, and now I can do as much handwork as I have time to spare.

You can do your own research on the subject, like I did, by reading books like:
"Wheat Belly" - Willian Davis, MD (you can watch some of his sessions on YouTube if you're not a big reader)
"Grain Brain" - David Perlmutter, MD

Good luck finding something that works -- and what works for one person doesn't always work for someone else. But when you are in chronic pain, you'll try almost anything to find relief.

awakenedsoul
10-23-14, 8:33pm
lessiebest, I know people who have had healing from arthritis by going gluten free, too.

My mother and grandmother both have/had arthritis. They told me that the prescription drugs don't work. What helped my grandma more than anything was doing Aqua Fit classes for the elderly. I started to have the same symptoms in my late forties. After cutting out most sugar, chocolate, and reducing caffeine, the symptoms lessened and my hips healed. I also do a few yoga sets to realign the pelvis. That has helped immensely!
I've studied natural remedies for arthritis, and one thing that stuck out to me was a nurse saying that sugar and caffeine are the worst culprits and that they change the cells. If I eat chocolate, I start to ache. I love the taste of it, but it's not worth the pain.

Good luck finding a remedy. It's unfortunate that some people are so threatened by folk remedies, but that comes with the territory. I use many of them with excellent results; there's a reason they have been around so long. Garlic is one of my favorites.

Here's an excerpt from the book Copper and the Skin: "Native North Americans have a copper bracelet myth of their own in which copper bracelets are worn not for healing, but as a source of mystical "power". I think that's what Mrs. H. was referring to...she was a total Earth Mother!

Let us know if the copper bracelet gives you any relief. I take glucosomine, Gotu Kola, fish oil, and Wobenzym. If you google Wobenzym, you'll see how they use it in Germany for arthritis. The reviews are amazing! It's the best natural remedy for arthritis I've found. I'm really thankful that I've been able to reverse it. It's so painful...

awakenedsoul
10-23-14, 9:57pm
CathyA,

Carolyn Myss wrote a book called Defying Gravity where she writes about the mental and emotional patterns of her patients with arthritis. She really stresses forgiveness, giving up judgements, and being loving and kind. The body chemistry really changes when we can implement those things.

Tussiemussies
10-24-14, 4:27am
When my father in law lived with us he also had such bad arthritis that he couldn't' t move one of his fingers. I did some research and found that dipping your hand or body part one time after another in melted paraffin wax works great. You have to keep dipping as each coat dries is very effective. You leave in on for as long as you can until the warmth leaves. This has to be done every day and you have to buy the appliance and wax for it replacing the wax when it needs it. My Fil was able to start moving his finger again.

lessisbest
10-24-14, 4:48am
I've taken herbs, but many of them can cause liver damage over a long period of time, just as Rx drugs can. I did hydro-therapy 5-days a week for years, wax treatments, acupuncture, rubs and potions of all sorts. Was considering gold shots..... Just got rid of a number of books on inflammation and followed that diet for 6-months, but it included gluten and I got very little relief.

When I went gluten-free I decided to give it a trial for 3-months. After that time I ate a hamburger with a bun on Friday night and Saturday I had something on a flour tortilla. By Sunday morning I felt like I'd been run over by a steam roller and had difficulty getting out of bed and moving in general. My fingers were locked without having done anything physical to cause that. Anything in my body that could become inflamed, WAS inflamed. Felt like I had been doing hard labor for 36-hours straight. I had to lay on a gel cooling mat for relief and eventually took some Ibuprofen, even though it does a number on my stomach - but what's one more pain when you are already suffering.

JaneV2.0
10-24-14, 10:45am
Have you tried compression gloves? Most of them get four stars on Amazon.

I have a friend who experienced complete relief from symptoms after going gluten-free, but I think CathyA has tried that.

CathyA
10-24-14, 11:11am
Thanks everyone. I should probably try gluten-free again.......but dang, it makes me sad. Some of us have relationships with food that are hard to change.
When I tried gluten-free before, I did feel a bit better, but I think that's because it forces me to cut way down on food consumption.....which has good effects too.

I have been wondering about those compression gloves. Maybe I'll check that out.
Curious thing.........yesterday my wrist hurt so bad I could hardly stand it.......all the way up my arm. Even acetaminophen didn't help......which it usually does. Then I started feeling like I had fluish-symptoms.
My wrist feels better today. But I do get funky physical symptoms with the first wave of an illness. It's like even before I actually realize I'm sick, I get really funky neuromuscular symptoms. Hopefully that's what this bad wrist pain was about. My GI tract is going bonkers today. My fingers have horrible arthritis and are bent in the wrong direction........so I was thinking it was entirely possible that it's extended into my wrist.
Hopefully, the severity of the wrist problem will pass, as this "bug" passes. My wrist is feeling better today, but I'm also trying not to use it much.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Oh.......and about the placebo effect.........I'll take it whenever I can, if it makes me feel better!

rodeosweetheart
10-24-14, 1:50pm
Copper bracelet worked for my husband. You might want to try acupuncture if there is anyone nearby. My great aunt and grandmother used to swear by drinking grapefruit juice in metal cans.

I suffer with arthritis but not so bad as you do. Now that I think of it, I should try the copper bracelet--or just stick a penny in your sock. I used to put a copper washer on the dog collar and she seemed to brighten up.

I am all for trying any and all folk remedies--what's to lose. And it is not like you are ignoring the regular medical advice or not seeking standard medical care.

CathyA
10-24-14, 2:01pm
Hmmmm......grapefruit juice in metal cans. I wonder if the acidic juice made something come out of the cans that helped? Zinc?
I forget why I gave up grapefruit juice in the past........maybe it's something to do with the meds I'm on now.........or my migraines. But I'll check it out.
Does it matter what was in the can..........beans? beets? corn? :~)

ApatheticNoMore
10-24-14, 2:07pm
Grapefruit juice and grapefruits make people excrete a lot of meds much faster so it's not recommended with some meds.

Of course that might be why the person felt better, no more meds poisoning them! :) Or the vitamin C or something.

awakenedsoul
10-24-14, 3:21pm
rodeosweetheart,

Exactly! I remember those little six packs of grapefruit juice. My aunt and grandparents bought them. The juice always tasted like a tin can. I bet there's something to this. Something metallic.

Glad to hear that the copper bracelet worked for your husband. This thread is making me want to try one. I might wear it as an anklet! Interesting hearing about your dog's response, too. I give my dog Rescue Remedy and it calms her down. The effect is immediate.

I think a lot of it has to do with the patient, and how open and receptive they are. I've had great results using apple cider vinegar as a treatment for different problems, too.

CathyA, I think it's probably important to buy the grapefruit juice in a can. Something about it sitting in there for a long time puts a metallic taste into the juice.

lessisbest
10-24-14, 6:00pm
CathyA-

I was addicted to oyster crackers and Animal Crackers, and I mean addicted..... But that's another characteristic of a wheat sensitivity. I made all our baked goods from scratch with freshly-milled wheat flour (and other grains/seeds/beans). I even teach bread making classes and classes on home milling. But I looked at it the same as if I had been diagnosed with diabetes and had to watch sugars, or any other food related challenge for a health issue, and thankfully I was up for the challenge. We don't do without, we do different, and even hubby has been a trooper and eats what I eat and he says he doesn't miss anything.

And someone smart said, being gluten-free is a lot like being pregnant - you either are, or you're not, unfortunately it can't be done half-way or part time. It took a year of being gluten-free before I saw some of my changes, like being able to walk barefoot without excruciating foot pain, and I no longer need to wear special (as in expensive) shoes. That was completely unexpected and a huge bonus. The rosacea on my face (often linked to wheat) is all but gone. All things doctors were more than happy to give me a prescription for, but never treat the problem. I wasn't pill deficient, I was sensitive to gluten.

It may also help to get a blood test for gluten intolerance or sensitivity. The problem is that there are 17 proteins in wheat and you could be sensitive to any one of them. The common blood test only tests for the most common one and skips the other 16. That's how an elimination diet can help.

BTW - If you happen to be on any blood pressure meds, you shouldn't consume grapefruit juice when taking them (just as a heads up). I suffered with migraines since I was 19-years old, and that's something else I haven't had since going gluten-free.

sweetana3
10-24-14, 6:39pm
Trying a gluten free diet is one of those pretty simple and easy to try "treatments". With all the available products and the available fresh and simple real foods we have in our stores, I would try it before either giving in to pain or to expensive multiple medical treatments.

I know it is hard to give up our favorite carbs or to give up processed food, but when health is involved nothing should be off the table.

ApatheticNoMore
10-24-14, 7:44pm
I doubt it's true you have to be either gluten free or not unless your celiac, because I have noticed I get some increased joint pain when I eat excessive amounts of wheat not just when I eat some wheat (however I do not have arthritis). If one is doing a test to see if gluten free helps then of course one would want to do a complete elimination while doing that test.

I get the relationship to food. For me it's sugar, could never give it up 100%. It's having a crutch, it's knowing one has a crutch than can modulate their moods basically. That's what it is to me. I'm not sure it doesn't help if I know it's something that isn't entirely good for me ...

awakenedsoul
10-24-14, 8:57pm
This thread got me thinking...when my hip was at its most painful was when I got too lazy to make my usual daily salads. I was just eating lots of quesadillas and sandwiches. I had also gotten hooked on Nacho Cheese Doritos, which I no longer buy. Earlier this afternoon I googled "Does garlic heal arthritis?" and "Does apple cider vinegar heal arthritis?" Turns out, for some people, yes! I always make a fresh salad dressing where I press a clove of fresh garlic into the wooden bowl, and coat the lettuce leaves with olive oil. I mix sea salt and raw apple cider vinegar into the spoon, then pour it over the salad. (I usually use baby greens, red pepper, carrots, avocado, half an apple, and sunflower seeds.) I add basil, tarragon, and dill. Little did I know, this was keeping me out of pain. I've had these salads daily since I was 17 years old. (That's over 30 years.) My ballet teacher taught me how to make them. Some people use apple cider vinegar in the bath and as a poultice, as well. I also noticed that I when I eat popcorn, it has sort of a miracle effect. I researched it, and other people say the same thing.

I get the whole relationship with food, too. I don't think I would enjoy living if I couldn't have a few treats. Here's hoping you don't have to go gluten free, Cathy! I think it's fantastic that people can do it, and are healing...I just would be very bummed without my daily cafe au lait, (mostly soy milk,) and a couple of homemade cookies...

JaneV2.0
10-24-14, 10:12pm
There are substitutes for most glutenous foods, for when you absolutely must have that cracker or noodle. The bad part is that you mostly have to make them yourself. I didn't notice many immediate changes--although I could breathe better--but I do notice subtle ones, like the quality of my skin. I have cafe' lattes (cafe's latte?) most days, made with almond-coconut milk. Lately, it's been pumpkin spice with coconut/blueberry bread.

pony mom
10-24-14, 10:19pm
Try Zyflamend http://www.amazon.com/Zyflamend-By-New-Chapter-Softgels/dp/B0009F3RW4

and Back On Track products http://www.amazon.com/Zyflamend-By-New-Chapter-Softgels/dp/B0009F3RW4

I've been using BOT gloves and my hands aren't as affected by the weather anymore. I'm starting to get joint changes in my thumbs and pinkies, which are still tender to the touch, but aren't as stiff. Also have the lap blanket, which I'm sitting against right now because my back was a bit sore. Feels great!

I just started taking Zyflamend a month ago and although it's helping my shoulder pain a bit (RSI from doing massage), I think I feel better in general. Over 1000 reviews on Amazon can't be wrong. It hasn't bothered my stomach (and I never eat spicy food), but neither did the 15 Advil a day I was taking. A few months from now I should see more improvement.

Hyaluronic acid and MSM are supplements usually used on horses for joint pain. My 29 yr. old guy has some aches and pains but still loves working so they must be helping him. Acupuncture is another treatment that can help.

Songbird
10-25-14, 2:16am
I can't take any NSAID. I used them a lot when I was younger, and they destroyed my GI tract. :(
I can't take ASA either.

CathyA, I'm curious as to how NSAID destroyed your GI tract? I've been on a prescription NSAID for years for my arthritis and as long as I eat before I take it I am fine.

sweetana3
10-25-14, 5:23am
Songbird, as with many things drugs of all kinds affect many negatively. I have three friends who were damanged by statins that are taken by millions without any problem. Another friend is so chemically fragile that anything, even aspirin, causes problems and her doctor has to carefully monitor her.

There would not be so many warnings on the bottle if they were perfectly safe. My hubby's doctor warned him about NSAIDs also.

lessisbest
10-25-14, 8:53am
awakenedsoul-

I made cookies twice this week, and there are almost always cookies, or other dessert goody in the freezer. I usually try to make some kind of dessert on Friday in case we have drop-in family and friends on the weekend - and they are always gluten-free.

The first cookie recipe I made this week is an oatmeal-based recipe I make every time I have one banana getting past it's prime (which is almost weekly), and I use a variety of add-ins to change this sugarless recipe (the banana is the sweetener, oatmeal, coconut oil, vanilla, salt). I add: mini-chocolate chips, cacao nibs, dried blueberries, dried currants, dried cherries, dried apricots, unsweetened or freeze-dried coconut, nuts of all kinds, and my favorite - dried dates (makes me think I'm eating a date bar). These are cookies hubby often takes in his lunch and I enjoy with my morning cup of tea.

The second recipe I made used the wet almond pulp left after making almond milk with 1-cup of almonds and a few other ingredients (coconut, pinch of salt, and 50/50 mixture of maple syrup and agave nectar). These are considered "raw" cookies and are dried in a dehydrator. Since I added freeze-dried coconut (which is naturally very sweet) these little cookies are more like candy, so I make them very small. I melted a small amount of Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chips and drizzled the tops of these "raw" cookies for a nice touch for looks and taste.

I make a wide variety of gluten-free cookies, cakes, scones, biscuits, breads, bars, crackers....and bake once or twice a week (depending on need). The only thing I won't make are pie crusts (although there are lots of g-f recipes for them), but I never liked making pastry, so why start now (LOL). I make pie filling or cooked fruit and serve it in a fluted dessert glass and top it with homemade gluten-free granola for that "crust" sensation. When we want lemon meringue pie I make this easy recipe: 1 small box of lemon Jello (reg. or sugar-free) and 1-cup of boiling water. Dissolve the Jello in the water. Add 1 to 1-1/8 c. plain yogurt and mix thoroughly; refrigerate until set. Serve in a dish topped with homemade granola. I also make my own dry "cereal" and will use it as a topping. On special occasions I will make a gluten-free pastry recipe and cut shapes with small cookie cutters (maple leaves, pumpkins, apples....) and bake the shapes and will top pie filling with those. I make the famous crustless "Impossible Pumpkin Pie" just like I have for decades, but use my homemade gluten-free baking mix. Bisquick has a gluten-free baking mix and LOTS of recipes to use it in, but I make my own mixture which includes more fiber than G-F Bisquick.

We are also eating low-glycemic foods (foods from the lower-half of the Glycemic Index of Foods - and have for decades) because hubby's family is rampant with diabetes, and by doing so he's avoided blood glucose issues so far. We gave up white sugar years ago, and I also try to avoid the high-glycemic gluten-free flours. If I need to use brown rice flour I will sprout the brown rice first, which lowers the glycemic impact and increases the nutrition, dehydrate and mill my own brown rice flour.

I started making baked goods with high-protein almond flour (and other nut flours - purchased and homemade) as well as coconut flour (purchased and homemade) long before going gluten-free, so we were already accustomed to many of these gluten-free baked goods. I switched to low-glycemic palm sugar, a homemade version of palm sugar nectar, agave nectar, and use stevia, flavored liquid stevia, and some Swerve and Truvia (rarely). I avoid Splenda because I have a terrible reaction to it. So maybe if you can add some gluten-free recipes to make on baking day, you may eventually find the security you need to cover your favorites that were formerly made with wheat flour.

The simple go-to recipe for Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies (recipes vary - 3 to 5 ingredients) is always a favorite. I make my version of the recipe and make the cookies small and will put a Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chip (which are larger than regular chocolate chips) in the middle of the cookie. When you make baked goods with high-protein ingredients (eggs, nut flour, coconut flour, etc.) you are satisfied eating smaller portions than when making them with high-carbohydrate ingredients (wheat flour, sugar, etc.). Rice Krispie Treats are another g-f favorite.

For breakfast we have pancakes, waffles, French Toast, toast and peanut butter, scones, muffins, quick breads, coffee cake..... But if you are a cereal person, there are lots of gluten-free choices. I prefer lettuce wraps for a cold sandwich. I make pizzas on corn tortillas, but have made a lot of gluten-free pizza crusts (which are usually a lot more expensive than using a corn tortilla). I'm making a pizza crust tomorrow with quinoa. I try to make 3 new recipes every week so we don't get into a food slump, so I'm always checking gluten-free, Paleo, and Low-Carb cookbooks out of the library because they all have gluten-free recipes in them.

I also don't spend a lot of money on being gluten-free because my food budget for the month was $125 when I wasn't gluten-free, and it has remained that since going gluten-free.

Songbird
10-26-14, 4:21am
Songbird, as with many things drugs of all kinds affect many negatively. I have three friends who were damanged by statins that are taken by millions without any problem. Another friend is so chemically fragile that anything, even aspirin, causes problems and her doctor has to carefully monitor her.

There would not be so many warnings on the bottle if they were perfectly safe. My hubby's doctor warned him about NSAIDs also.

Well, of course I know all of the above. ;) Again, I was just simply asking CathyA personally what had happened with HER GI tract due to NSAID use.

awakenedsoul
10-26-14, 11:34am
lessisbest,

You sound very disciplined and motivated. I use agave, too. I still use granulated sugar in homemade cookies, but I just eat two or three small ones. My body handles that okay. The days of gorging on sugar are over for me!
I am going to try some of those flours. I use whole wheat pastry flour when I make apple pie. I'll try some of the others in my bread recipes.

lessisbest
10-27-14, 8:16am
awakenedsoul-

Thank you for the nice complement about being disciplined and motivated. It could just be I'm cheap, and if I want to eat gluten-free I usually have to make it myself in order to keep it less expensive than buying a commercial g-f product (LOL), as well as to control the ingredients to make them a healthy choice. I also think a lot of commercial g-f products are just more "junk" food made with over-processed ingredients, much like "low-fat" foods that were popular years ago. If you need any gluten-free recipes, I'll be happy to share. I try to keep things pretty simple and try to keep costs down.

JaneV2.0
10-27-14, 11:04am
I just ran across this interesting article on the power of placebo/the mind in healing:
http://www.brainpickings.org/2014/06/23/nothing-jo-marchant-heal-thyself/
"What researchers are now realizing is that positive beliefs don’t just work by quelling stress. They have a positive effect too — feeling safe and secure, or believing things will turn out fine, seems to help the body maintain and repair itself…" (from the article)

larknm
11-1-14, 11:07am
The things that have worked for me for arthritis are support belts with magnets (from Cutting Edge Catalog)--for decades, only thing that's kept me from being bedridden, as I was before, that's for back; those little black things that your finger and hand fits in, looks like a minimal glove, sold by sporting good stores and hand surgeons, and glutensugar free eating.

HappyHiker
11-2-14, 5:36pm
I've read that any condition that ends with -itis means there's inflammation. Okay, fine, but what casues that inflammation? I think it's different for each of us, but "most" causes of -itis conditions, including arthritis are caused or increased by food allergies.

My hips really hurt when I over-indulge in certain foods...not listing them because your food triggers are likely different than mine. We're each unique in our response to foods, toxins, environmental pollutants.

Each of us has to experiment..it's a process.Try elminating your most common foods for a while and see what happens. Especially the foods you really lust after -- they are often the foods we're most allergic to.

Nightshade foods (tomatoes, eggplant, potatoes , etc.) are frequent culprits in causing flare-ups. So if you have a pizza (gluen/tomatoes) you might note that.

When I eat "clean" and avoid my trigger foods, I'm pretty much arthritis-free.

Here's an interesting article on foods to avoid/eliminate if you have arthritis: It's a start:

http://www.healthline.com/health-slideshow/foods-to-avoid-with-arthritis#promoSlide

AnneM
11-13-14, 11:52pm
Bee venom has really helped my arthritis. I have it in my toes and thumbs.

I became a beekeeper four years ago, and it took me a while to make the connection between the bee stings and the cessation of arthritis pain. The pain is gone for a month or so after I get stung.

So I googled bee venom and arthritis, and found lots of information. Then I spoke with several older beekeepers in my bee club, and they confirmed that their experience over several years has been the same as mine.

Perhaps the OP could look into finding an apitherapist in her area who could administer some venom.