PDA

View Full Version : catherine -- spiritual books...

Tussiemussies
10-25-14, 1:51am
Hi Catherine, I DIDN't want to hack the other thread so I thought I would share here.

I don't have most of my books available since our move they are still packed away. One book I think you would find very interesting is Cosmic Conscious by Bucke, another I am reading every day is Mind is the Master, by James Allen. He wrote As A Man Thinkith but most people know him for that although he has written approx. 15 books and some essays. This is a huge book hard to manage so I bought it on Kindle. Every night before I go to sleep I listen to all of the daily meditations for the year...the nice thing about Kindle is that it has the feature where it reads the book to you. Bucke's book was written in the 1800's and Allen's book in the early 1900's where there were new ideas about religion forming. A very creative time period.

I hope you might enjoy some of these....where Allen talk about having power he is usually referring to complete righteousness....

Hope you might enjoy! Chris

catherine
10-25-14, 8:19am
Cool! Thanks, Chris!

I've never heard of Cosmic Conscious, but I have certainly heard of James Allen. I've read As A Man Thinketh, so I'd definitely like to read your recommendation of Mind is the Master. And also, thanks for reminding me of the audio Kindle feature--I've never used it!

Along the "old New Thought" leaders, have you read Catherine Ponder? I enjoy her work as well, as well as William Walker Atkinson. If you can read James Allen, you can read those authors--they are both 19th/early 20th century writers.

And as for present writers, Richard Rohr's The Naked Now is great.

In the "miracle" realm, have you read Dying to be Me, by Anita Moorjani? Very compelling! She had a normal life in India, and was extremely obedient to her parents and a high achiever. Shortly after her wedding, she was diagnosed with terminal cancer. She wound up slipping into a coma, was admitted to the hospital, and her family was called to her bedside, but she had a breakthrough in consciousness, followed by a spontaneous remission and woke up cancer-free! Her lesson is, just live fearlessly, because there is nothing to fear in life.

Keep me in mind as you unpack those books! Thanks!

Tussiemussies
10-26-14, 12:21am
Thank you Catherine for sharing about your readings. I do believe in the "New Thought" stream of religion....and have read some of Catherine Ponder too. I have never heard of Atkinson though and will have to look him up.

The experience of the Indian woman is so great, I will really enjoy reading that.

Tank you for your recommendations. If you find any other goodies, please let me know! Chris