PDA

View Full Version : Travel Solo in Sicily

Cypress
10-31-14, 3:40pm
I am strongly interested in travel to Sicily for two weeks in 2015. I am trying to work out an itinerary with a local travel agency right in Taormina. I most likely may be traveling on my own by car or bus or train on the tour. I just recently contacted the agency and waiting for their reply on my goals and how they may be able to accomodate them. I think they set up a self-guided type of tour with as much or little support as I can afford or want.

Is it a bad choice to travel alone in Sicily? For some details, I am a woman, 54, good health, some language skill but have never been in Sicily or Ialy. It's a dream vacation. Could I get around by myself? I am not the biggest risk taker but I always prefer to travel solo. I don't mind joining a group for a day tour say through Noto, but after the day, I want to keep going on my own.

Every USA based tour agency I look at, doesn't quite offer the tour I want to do in Sicily. I want to spend a lot of time in Agrigento Province. Most tours stop for a day, visit Valle dei Templi and move on. I want to perch there for 3-4 days looking around. The Rick Steve's 11 day tour in Sicily has a nice itinerary with good rates. A relatively smaller group. But, they move through Agrigento after 1 day. And, I have to go where they take me.

Gardenarian
10-31-14, 5:11pm
I don't know anything about it, but I just want to say it sounds wonderful!

I went on a package tour of the UK this past summer- I was feeling anxious because I have lost most of my hearing. I would have enjoyed it more had there been less time spent on the road and more time just staying in one place. I really feel like I want to go back and do everything again at my own pace. On the other hand, I did see a lot of things I may have missed on my own.

Setting up the itinerary with the local agency sounds like a perfect plan.

iris lily
11-1-14, 11:02am
I don't know anything about it, but I just want to say it sounds wonderful!

I went on a package tour of the UK this past summer- I was feeling anxious because I have lost most of my hearing. I would have enjoyed it more had there been less time spent on the road and more time just staying in one place. I really feel like I want to go back and do everything again at my own pace. On the other hand, I did see a lot of things I may have missed on my own.

Setting up the itinerary with the local agency sounds like a perfect plan.

I think I've found the formula for European travel: pick a few cities, say, 3, that cover geographic areas that you want to see. Go to a city, get a hotel room, park your stuff, and find day trips out from the city centre. Everyone caters to the tourists so if there are a few notable sights within a 3 hour drive of the city, a day trip will cover more than 1 sight. We don't drive in the UK because they drive on the wrong side of the road (haha) so we were limited to trains. During our last big trip we did resort to buses and taxis a couple of times.

Getting from city to city is easy using trains.

But this method works best for those like me who like towns, cities, and architecture. If you like the countryside and small villages, transportation will be more of a problem.

Gardenarian
11-1-14, 4:03pm
Iris lilies, that is brilliant!
:thankyou:

kib
11-1-14, 4:13pm
I went to Italy two years ago and loved it. Did not go to Sicily but toured many places by car from Sorrento northward. I was not alone, but it's a place I think I'd have felt safe by myself, people were very friendly and helpful. Driving in the cities and more crowded highways can be a nightmare but sort of fun if you can get into the spirit, best described as NYC cabbie wearing cheerful grin. Amor Fati. Sorry I can't speak for Sicily, it certainly looks beautiful.

Spartana
11-3-14, 10:21am
I travelled solo all over Italy but never went to Sicily. I did it grungy backpacker style and stayed in hostels and took trains or buses everywhere and had a Eurail Pass (which you wouldn't need if just staying in Sicily). I found it was very safe and easy in most places. I was younger then and some men could be a problem and harass you but nothing bad. So I think a solo trip - even a somewhat unplanned solo trip - is very doable for you. I like Iris Lilys idea about selecting one place to stay near everything you want to see and just staying there the entire time - or maybe pick a couple of cities to explore that are far apart and stay at each of them for a week. You can book day trips at most hotels (even if you aren't staying there) so makes it easy to see sites you may not want to go to alone or that are too far to get to by walking or public transit. Plus you donm't need to deal with the always-late Italian trains. Those day trips thru hotel can be pricey I think but if you are staying in one area and using it as a base, probably cheaper (and easier) then constantly moving to a new place every couple of days.

Cypress
11-3-14, 11:23am
I've heard from the agency in Taormina about what my budget is to be? How much do I want to spend every day. I'll have to decide on that one. I did base myself in three places, Taormina, Agrigento and maybe Erice. It's two weeks :) Hopefully enough time to see things at a slow as you go pace. I have a Michelin Green Guide to Sicily and Italy. They are very helpful. But, I don't have a personal contact on the island. I'd like someone to be looking over my shoulder a bit. If I am expected in Agrigento on a certain day, and I don't arrive, well, they can back check to where I was the last stop. Let's see how this goes.

Grazie tante vi rispondermi :)

kib
11-3-14, 11:31am
Just wanted to say two things: 1. for budget, think pizza. it's sooooo good there, and cheap. There are other good things that are also affordable, eat eat eat of the veggies and fresh seafood, but the pizza is worth going into carb shock for. Even the regions that don't do pizza, do great pizza. and 2. I absolutely love your blog. Possibly the most elegant thing since Leo Babauta. My treat for the week. Thank you.

Cypress
11-3-14, 3:38pm
Hi Kib, thanks for looking at my blog. I haven't given it much attention lately. When I am inspired, I post. All the articles I wrote and a few of the poems too. I may blog the entire trip while there. I think I'll say to the agency staff to budget $200 - $300 per day for lodging, transportation, food, entry to museums and misc.... There are tours in each region, in each town typically that last a full day to 1/2 day. I love to be independent. I love to go at my own pace and wander a bit. Although, that's probably not wise in a strange place. There are thermal spas in Sicily as well. I plan on spending one afternoon having a spa treatment as well :)

HappyHiker
11-4-14, 4:26pm
Cypress, have you heard about airbnb? (airbnb.com) It's a rental service that puts you in touch with owners of rentals where you want to go...the rentals vary from rooms in owners' homes to entire apartments, flats or houses.

I checked on Taormina and there was one rental in a home with your own tiny kitchen that was renting for $67/night. That way, your hosts could help you with questions, tips, and be your local contact. There were other rentals there, at different price points.

We used airbnb for a Paris week's rental and it worked out great for us. We saved money and stayed in the neighbrhood we were interested in.

Have fun! Sicily looks a treat...the color of the sea! Oh my, so lovely.

julia
11-4-14, 5:07pm
I've used both airbnb and wimdu for apartments and so far never been disappointed. So much cheaper than a hotel and you can cook if you want. In fact I'm in a wimdu apartment in London right now! Stunning river view, luxury everything and a total of £600 for five nights, which is pretty good for this extremely expensive city!

Cypress
11-5-14, 12:47pm
WOW! I've heard of home away but not these two options for travel. I love this idea. The contact in Taormina should return an itinerary next week. They are also wedding organizers and have a job this weekend. So, I am on the list to get back to. But, I can take a look at these options.

Buon'idea cari amici!

mel82
11-30-14, 7:54am
I have never been to Sicily but I can't imagine why it won't be safe to travel alone :) I have heard a lot of people do it. Me personaly - I prefer the company of good old friends but that is just me. Here is an article that I think it might help you - http://www.italyheaven.co.uk/women.html

Teacher Terry
11-30-14, 1:11pm
WE have been to Europe 4x's (Italy 2x's) but never Sicily. We hate tours-being told when to eat , how long to stay somewhere, all the bus riding, etc. If we go to a big city we use public transport & walk. We spent 2 weeks in Tuscany region so we picked one city as our location. We used a rental car to drive to the other cities for the day & then back to our home spot. I hate changing hotels everyday, etc. I would rather explore more in-depth & see less cities. I travel with my hubby so feel safe but I bet you can research online how safe it is.

Tussiemussies
11-30-14, 6:32pm
When I was younger my next door neighbor's daughter took time off after college to travel all over Europe all by herself. She had the greatest time, made friends and had no troubles. We all would anxiously await to hear about her new adventures...

Cypress
12-3-14, 10:24am
The recommendation for Airbnb.com seems to be outstanding. I have put up a profile and by searching the dates and locations, have put on a wish list 4 places to stay in Noto, Agrigento, Marsala and Taormina. I will think on it over night before pressing the book button. It seems highly user friendly, I liked reading the reviews and the photos with description are very helpful. The cost for two weeks in Sicily, accomodations only have reached $749.00 for one person. By staying at small places, the hosts can help me with the how to get around and where to go and what to see. I will be only staying at 4 different places, and exploring around the area from that location. Not moving around every day or night.

I've been working with an agency in Taormina. But, it's hard to know if this will work out as I cannot see the accomodations and they have me moving around to 14 different hotels. We cannot call each other as it is long distance. My phone plan doesn't allow for international calls on the prepaid monthly plan. I just feel very iffy about giving them money. Very iffy. But the Airbnb.com takes a lot of worry away. The reviews I have read highly recommend it for security, ease of use and more.

TIP OF THE YEAR. Mille Grazie. Vado a Sicilia l'anno prossimo! Andiamo!