PDA

View Full Version : Gas going DOWN? What?!

Gardenarian
11-14-14, 12:28pm
The idiocy of having lower gas prices while the Earth is in a man-made carbon crisis astounds me. Sales of Hummers and other giant gas guzzlers are up!

This is the perfect opportunity to slap a big fat tax on gas - not celebrate how cheap it is.

Are people unaware of peak oil? Of how incredible stupid, dangerous, and expensive fracking is?

Who's running this circus?!

gimmethesimplelife
11-14-14, 12:30pm
The idiocy of having lower gas prices while the Earth is in a man-made carbon crisis astounds me. Sales of Hummers and other giant gas guzzlers are up!

This is the perfect opportunity to slap a big fat tax on gas - not celebrate how cheap it is.

Are people unaware of peak oil? Of how incredible stupid, dangerous, and expensive fracking is?

Who's running this circus?!The clowns took over the circus some time ago lol. Sure seems like it on some days anyway. Rob

catherine
11-14-14, 12:55pm
I know! I filled my car at Costco this week and it came to under $25.00, and I was thinking the same thing.

ApatheticNoMore
11-14-14, 1:45pm
Actually lower gas prices may make fracking unprofitable, that's what some say (though whether they will last long enough to really stop fracking, maybe that's doubtful, it's just that fracking does indeed becomes unprofitable when gas prices are low enough and stay that way and they are about that low now). On the other hand it does make people more wasteful in usage (though honestly looking at my own life it doesn't seem elastic - I drive to get to a job mostly, sometimes to have a social life - driving for the fun of it sounds to me about like getting a colonoscopy for the fun of it! Of course it does affect the types of cars people choose).

And all this is the simplest supply and demand, lower prices increases demand, but also higher price will increase supply (things like fracking become profitable). It's why things like a gas tax/carbon tax are the ones that would work, but you'd need to offset the cost for people somehow (carbon/gas tax with a TAX REBATE for everyone).

dmc
11-14-14, 2:10pm
Yay! I like spending less.

ToomuchStuff
11-15-14, 10:17am
Where do you get Hummer sales going up? I didn't hear they reopened.
I am happy that prices are down. It has allowed me to put more money away, by driving the more economical vehicle and also should at some point effect store prices.
I saw an article posted saying this may make that pipeline they have been wanting to run, not so economically feasable.

ApatheticNoMore
11-15-14, 11:50am
Yea it's somewhat cheaper at the pump, but the thing is if I you drive a true compact car as I do, the difference isn't all that great anyway (I still put the exact same $40 in the tank a week just like before, but it fills it more and occasionally I need $5 change - yea I pay cash), despite the fact I commute too much (although even that is less distance than traffic although it is longer distance than is good either).

Gardenarian
11-15-14, 12:02pm
I read that about the big cars somewhere...can't find it now! This why I need to get a newspaper...the ephemeral internet...
Maybe they were talking about the market for used cars.

When prices go way up, I do notice people driving more slowly and an increase in interest in electric/hybrid cars.

ApatheticNoMore
11-15-14, 12:18pm
I notice a few more people biking when prices go WAY up, but they mostly have no clue what they are doing (I should support people biking ok - btw I'd favor separate bike paths, I never said things should be designed for cars but they mostly are), I'm just saying that they do extremely dangerous things and if you are behind an auto and these new bikers come out EXTREME caution is needed. I also notice 40 year old cars suddenly come out of people's garages because they are smaller than their other car I guess, so these ancient cars are rambling along the road looking like they are going to fall apart at any minute and I laugh (p.s. my car is 10 years old at present). There's a certain comedy to the whole thing - the bikers who don't know basic bike safety, the 40 year old rambling wrecks.

The thing about hybrids is just because prices go up everyone doesn't suddenly become rich (although hybrids are becoming more reasonably priced I guess - they weren't when I looked). So everyone can't suddenly buy a brand new car (is that even green?), much less a very expensive car as hybrids tend to be (subcompacts like the Honda Fit are often affordable OTOH - even new). And are they easy to get used? Because new cars are going to be out of the prices range of many.

catherine
11-15-14, 12:36pm
People definitely start looking for smaller cars when gas prices go way up. I remember the last time we had a huge surge in gas prices there shortages of hybrids for sale, new and used, in my area, and you couldn't give away big SUVs. Of course, as soon as the prices went down, it was all business as usual.

ETA Case in point:

Reuters, November 14, 2014: As Gas Prices Slide, U.S. Car Buyers Go for Size, Shun Hybrids http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/12/usa-gasoline-guzzlers-idUSL4N0SX8JX20141112

Syracuse.com, April 12, 2012: Hybrid and electric cars see record sales in March
"Buyers were drawn by new models like the Toyota Prius C subcompact, the Prius V wagon and Camry hybrid. Gas prices near or above $4 per gallon added to the cars’ attraction."
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2012/04/hybrid_and_electric_cars_see_r.html

mschrisgo2
11-15-14, 2:05pm
What amazes me is the demographics of what people drive. I teach in a school in a very poor area, and so many of the families drive those huge pick-ups. There isn't even a seat for each person in the family! But on my commute to work, I'm seeing about 10% Prius. Where I live, it seems that everyone is replacing their old cars with smaller ones, myself included. I bought a Kia Soul in August, and I absolutely Love it! I still have flexible space (like I did with the minivan) but it is smaller and uses about 40% of the gas the van did. Even before the gas prices started dropping, I was so happy! Now I'm spending about $100 a Month on gas, instead of $85 a week/$340 a month.

Gardenarian
11-15-14, 4:40pm
I notice the car thing because in my neighborhood people seem to get new cars every few years. They just get tired of the old one or something.
mschrisgo2, I have a 2004 Scion Xb, which looks a lot like the Soul. Never had a problem with it (touch wood) and gets good mileage too.

Yes, I notice more cyclists on the road when gas goes up too - newbies, maybe, but they are at least trying.

Rogar
11-15-14, 6:23pm
I suspect oil pricing skulduggery. Seems like oil prices go up and down without much fundamental reasoning and they will probably go back up. Although with all the new domestic suppliers, probably not back to $5 a gallon gas. I read a couple of fairly reliable places that the Saudis are playing a pricing game to squeeze some competition out of the market.

I use a bike path close to my house frequently and it's sort of interesting how many sport or fitness riders I see compared to the few with packs that look like they are commuting. I do notice more commuters when gas prices are high, but there still are not a lot.

jp1
11-16-14, 11:10am
I read a similar thing regarding the Saudis, but the article went further and said that it is an attempt on the Saudi's part to make fracking in the US uneconomical, and thus stop it, long enough for people to force politicians to put laws in place that will prevent fracking. This was something that a friend, who reads all the conspiracy theory web sites, posted on facebook, so I have no idea whether this could be the plan.

ctg492
12-16-14, 5:32am
Our little community had the Fracking company come in 5 years ago. The original approval was 6ish years ago, before we moved here. First three year lease nothing. Last spring the payments started as the pumping started bringing in. Only two houses in our little neighborhood did not take the leases. We did, though went against all I considered right. Devils advocate, it was approved before us and it was happening anyhow if we signed for the payments or not.
First check was enough to cover taxes for the year as it was retro payment. Second month was exactly the amount forcasted if they pumped full amount in the lease. Six months now the check is not worth going to the mailbox for. We are receiving for four pumps now.
So if OPEC is doing this to curtail USA production it certainly is dropping the price. Not seeing how it could be profitable for the smaller companies. Then again how long could they do this for? If they raised the price the USA companies would ramp up again. It would be a circle, I think. Either way lower prices at the pump. Right or wrong, people are going to use up all oil till the end I am afraid.

ctg492
12-16-14, 5:41am
Adding about the known houses that did not sign. One is Prius couple, organic vegetarians. He told me he uses fuel like everyone else, he commutes 100 miles a day. He just did not approve and do would not take the money. Other couple drives. Navigator and Caddilac and does not have any idea that recycling exists. They felt if they held out they would get more. Nope they got nothing as this was not a negotiating lease, take or leave.
It is very strange to be involved in this after all but last year(from need) cutting my driving to bare needs and biking to save my carbon footprint.

pcooley
12-16-14, 11:09am
You could still have a lower price per barrel to discourage fracking and jack the cost at the pump way up to fund public transportation, railways, and bicycle facilities. We really should have $8 a gallon gas, not $2. Just think what public good could be done with that extra $6 a gallon, (as long as it was clearly earmarked for transit diversity and not funneled away into the military).

Gardenarian
12-16-14, 11:51am
Hey there pcooley! Haven't seen you around in a while - hope all is well.

I completely agree - we need to pay for the TRUE price of oil, and move away from carbon based economy.

bekkilyn
12-16-14, 12:00pm
I haven't noticed any difference in my area of what people drive since before the economy crashed in 2008. They drove whopping SUV's before gas went up, they drove whopping SUV's during the time when gas was nearly $5, and they are still driving whopping SUV's. Since they never stopped in the first place, I doubt the lower gas prices is going to make any real difference.

catherine
12-16-14, 12:50pm
I doubt the lower gas prices is going to make any real difference.

I saw an article about 2 weeks ago that big SUV sales are up 88%. Trust me, it does make a difference.

bekkilyn
12-16-14, 1:29pm
I saw an article about 2 weeks ago that big SUV sales are up 88%. Trust me, it does make a difference.

I specifically meant in my area though. If practically everyone here already has an SUV or two or three (depending on how many adults are in the household), then I just don't see them buying even more of them due to a temporary price drop in gas.

catherine
12-16-14, 1:38pm
I specifically meant in my area though. If practically everyone here already has an SUV or two or three (depending on how many adults are in the household), then I just don't see them buying even more of them due to a temporary price drop in gas.

I see what you're saying, but see my earlier post on this topic--there is definitely a correlation between gas prices and SUV purchases. Why is it that European cars are so tiny? The petrol is very expensive there.

pinkytoe
12-16-14, 1:39pm
I am actually considering an even smaller car when/if I finally decide to buy one. If anyone believes low prices are here to stay, they aren't thinking straight. I like Mr Money Mustache's referral to overly-sized vehicles as clown cars. I am kind of fascinated by why cars and car image are so important to people in the first place.

bekkilyn
12-16-14, 1:53pm
I see what you're saying, but see my earlier post on this topic--there is definitely a correlation between gas prices and SUV purchases. Why is it that European cars are so tiny? The petrol is very expensive there.

Overall, I do agree with you. I suppose if these lower prices go on for long enough, more people in general would feel like they want something bigger than what they already have. I've known people who might need something hauled once or twice a year and insist they need to buy a truck.

As for me, I'm happy with my Civic. I get too scared around here driving anything too much smaller since I'm surrounded by so many big SUVs and trucks (and drivers are either very aggressive or very inattentive and erratic), but I definitely don't want anything larger!

catherine
12-16-14, 2:00pm
I am kind of fascinated by why cars and car image are so important to people in the first place.

I totally agree. Branding cars is a whole science in itself, and it's fascinating.

bekkilyn
12-16-14, 2:11pm
I totally agree. Branding cars is a whole science in itself, and it's fascinating.

This reminds me...there are times when someone has offered to give me a ride somewhere and will be picking me up in a public place, and they'll say something like, look for the white (insert car model here) and a lot of the times, I have no idea what kind of car it is or even what it looks like. I'll have to either get them to give me more of a description, or I'd look it up on the internet.

Then there are the people who have some sort of special or "fancy" car and they'll show it to me and I'll feel some obligation to be politely impressed, but in reality, it typically looks like any other car to me.

I think the only cars that really fascinate me are the restored old-timey cars from the early 20'th century...like the ones I saw in my town's Christmas parade last weekend. They're just so cute.

And my 80 year old mother drives a mustang. I just have to be impressed by that. :)

dmc
12-16-14, 3:11pm
You could still have a lower price per barrel to discourage fracking and jack the cost at the pump way up to fund public transportation, railways, and bicycle facilities. We really should have $8 a gallon gas, not $2. Just think what public good could be done with that extra $6 a gallon, (as long as it was clearly earmarked for transit diversity and not funneled away into the military).

Why not just tax or charge more for public transportation, railway's, and bicycle facilities to pay for themselves if wanted or needed. We should require bicycles to be taxed and licensed to help pay for the bike paths and roads that they use. And buses and trains should charge at least enough to break even.

gimmethesimplelife
12-16-14, 4:05pm
I am actually considering an even smaller car when/if I finally decide to buy one. If anyone believes low prices are here to stay, they aren't thinking straight. I like Mr Money Mustache's referral to overly-sized vehicles as clown cars. I am kind of fascinated by why cars and car image are so important to people in the first place.I too have often wondered why cars and car image are so important to so many people. I don't get it. I see a car as a piece of machinery to get me from point A to point B, hopefully as economically as possible. Given that I've been a waiter for so long and given that a waiter's income is never really stable, I quickly figured out even before I found simpler living that having a car would make me more vulnerable to the ups and downs in my income. It would also mean more bills in my life. And it would also mean less in savings. Three strikes against owning a car there so I have been without a car for years now and I don't miss it a bit.

Pinkytoe, your post makes me think of the Saturday paper. On Saturday so much of the paper doesn't apply to me as I have no interest in the auto section or the sports section or even the housing section as I can't afford the makeovers that are often featured. So much of the Saturday paper in Phoenix seems to be about image and I wonder why people even bother with the economy as it is and the stress living for image creates. All I can say is - I guess let other people have at that and no one says I have to participate. Rob

gimmethesimplelife
12-16-14, 4:10pm
Why not just tax or charge more for public transportation, railway's, and bicycle facilities to pay for themselves if wanted or needed. We should require bicycles to be taxed and licensed to help pay for the bike paths and roads that they use. And buses and trains should charge at least enough to break even.I don't completely disagree with you here, DMC. The only problem I see is your last sentence. Reason being - many (though I'll give you not all) people are struggling to afford to ride the bus as it is these days as fares have gone up all over the place, service in many cities has been cut, and wages are stagnant or falling for most bus riders. I realize that in cities such as Boston or New York or San Francisco there is much diversity in who rides mass transit - here in Phoenix, other than for the light rail and express busses out to the suburbs, it's mostly lower income folks. I don't disagree with what you have posted about taxing bikes though - I think it's a good idea. A small tax from many bike riders would go a long way to keep up bike paths and do their fair share for road upkeep. Rob

gimmethesimplelife
12-16-14, 4:14pm
I totally agree. Branding cars is a whole science in itself, and it's fascinating.Given that I own no car, I find it fascinating that people actually buy into the "branding" of cars. Case in point - When I was in Austria in 1987, I discovered that a Mercedes there is actually an everyday car and not considered upscale. Unlike here where there is some cachet (to those who buy into it) in driving a Mercedes. Why anyone would see themselves a higher or lower on any scale based on what they drive is completely beyond me and it screams impracticality to me if nothing else. One great thing I have discovered in not having a car though - this tends to very efficiently screen people who buy into this line of thinking out of my life. Rob

dmc
12-27-14, 7:00pm
Paid under $2.00 for gas in the rental car while on vacation. Fuel for the plane was still over $4.00, but less than it was. Yay!

My fuel cost for the plane is down to the mid $50,s . Was in the $60's last year.

I spent $5300 on car gas last year, my cars get between 20-40 miles per gallon, so lower fuel prices will save me some.

TxZen
12-27-14, 7:38pm
$1.96 here in Central Texas this week. WOW!!!

Yossarian
12-27-14, 7:50pm
Wow d, that's a lot of flight time, isn't it? How does that math work? If gas is $5 and you spend $50k that's 10,000 gallons. Back in the day I think a 172 was burning around 10 GPH so you must be burning more than that. If we call it 15 for math that's what, 666 hours?

Teacher Terry
12-27-14, 7:55pm
Here poorer people ride the buses so like Rob stated it would really hurt them if prices get raised & really it is expensive enough. Personally we are happy that gas is lower as we are planning to take a trip in our Moho the end of March. Some years it has not been worth it to take it but so much easier to travel with 4 dogs especially since one is big.

dmc
12-27-14, 10:41pm
Wow d, that's a lot of flight time, isn't it? How does that math work? If gas is $5 and you spend $50k that's 10,000 gallons. Back in the day I think a 172 was burning around 10 GPH so you must be burning more than that. If we call it 15 for math that's what, 666 hours?

Sorry, I meant $50 to $60 per hour. My plane burns around 12 gallons per hour. I fly around 100 hours a year

jp1
12-29-14, 9:12pm
Why not just tax or charge more for public transportation, railway's, and bicycle facilities to pay for themselves if wanted or needed. We should require bicycles to be taxed and licensed to help pay for the bike paths and roads that they use. And buses and trains should charge at least enough to break even.

I guess the answer to that question will vary depending on whether one believes that burning fossil fuel is harmful to the environment and that encouraging efficient, or less overall, use of it would be a good thing, or whether one believes that the all powerful capitalist market will solve the world's problems and should only be interfered with when banisters are about to go bankrupt.

iris lily
12-29-14, 11:27pm
$1.96 here in Central Texas this week. WOW!!!

$1.89 yesterday in the city of St. Louis. There's not a lot of state tax here.

Tradd
12-30-14, 1:16am
$1.97 in DuPage County, IL (right outside of Cook County, which has a county tax on top of the state and fed taxes). This is super cheap (over by work). I live in Cook and work in DuPage, so I always get gas out by work.

Packy
12-30-14, 2:28am
I am very glad gas is down; $1.83 here, I think. It will give people a break. Really, gas should be about $2.50 a gallon, anyway. More in SoCal. Some people just love to drive, and use any excuse to do it. But, I am over that, & keep my miles down. I gassed up my 1983 GMC 1-ton 4x4 dually 454 cid flatbed this weekend, for the first time in several years. I used stabilizer in the gas, so it will hold for awhile. That truck comes in handy, but it is not suitable for running errands. No, I can't say I would advocate charging cyclists to use the roads, or hiking the fares for public transportation. It sounds like another reactionary policy based on fallacious beliefs. It would require a really careful analysis, without a predetermined outcome, to weigh the complete economic costs of such measures. It's always easy to blame the underdog & accuse them of freeloading. Someone said that Hummer Sales were up, but I thought GM discontinued those. They were essentially just a Chevy 3/4 ton pickup chassis, with the distinctive Hummer Body on them, anyway.

domestic goddess
1-1-15, 12:12pm
Tradd, when I lived in the city, I filled the tank every time I was outside of it. Now that we live in DuPage Co. it isn't as much an issue, but I haven't seen it here quite that low. But, since I don't drive anymore, I don't get to make the rounds to see what price everyone has.

Float On
1-1-15, 3:31pm
$1.79 last night when I filled up. Expected to go lower still.

Alan
1-1-15, 3:45pm
It was $1.96 when I filled up at Kroger earlier today. I had $0.75 in fuel reward points to use and ended up filling my tank for $14.32, a very pleasant experience after becoming accustomed to $40 or more per fill-up.

These prices make me wish I hadn't filled the motorhome prior to putting it into storage for the winter, I could have saved $75 or so.

Miss Cellane
1-1-15, 4:17pm
It's still about $2.35 around here, at the cheapest gas stations.

But heating oil has gone down as well, and it's been a much warmer winter this year (so far), so I'm seeing even greater savings there.

goldensmom
1-1-15, 7:26pm
Gas is at $1.70, hard to believe we are below the national average, usually way above.

Songbird
1-1-15, 10:44pm
A $1.89 here today - really amazing to see those numbers!

Tradd
1-1-15, 10:50pm
$1.84 here today in suburban Chicago, still within Cook County (which has a county tax on top of state & fed taxes). I'm astonished it's this low. My budget is appreciating it!

ToomuchStuff
1-3-15, 12:13pm

That is NOT the only reason. Ever try to drive something large down some of their "streets" (built before cars)

$1.84 here today in suburban Chicago, still within Cook County (which has a county tax on top of state & fed taxes). I'm astonished it's this low. My budget is appreciating it!

Be careful on the budget thing. I keep my gas money separate so when it goes the other way, the surplus acts as a cushion for a bit. Filled up at $1.85 9/10's the other day, and yesterday it was down to $1.82 9/10's. But driving more due to holiday stuff for work (wish storage was expandable) and currently on mandatory overtime for a few weeks.

mschrisgo2
1-13-15, 1:38am
Oh wow! and I though $2.25 was good today in the San Francisco bay area...

ApatheticNoMore
1-13-15, 3:06am
The lowest I've seen it recently is about $2.50, can be up to $2.80. Still when $30 fills a tank, it's cheap.

catherine
1-13-15, 8:12am
I got gas at Costco this weekend for $1.69. While we were waiting in the LONG line to get to the pumps, DH and I had a heated discussion on fracking.

Rogar
1-13-15, 9:46am
Prices round here range from $1.80 to $2.00 and bounce around. I hardly think in conspiracy theory terms, but I have wondered if there isn't some sort of hidden political agenda behind the scene.

Even though there has been a push on the Keystone XL, if prices stay low I wonder if it will make good economic sense. I think the break even point for tar sand oil is higher than $60 a barrel.

Spartana
1-14-15, 10:58am
Here poorer people ride the buses so like Rob stated it would really hurt them if prices get raised & really it is expensive enough. Personally we are happy that gas is lower as we are planning to take a trip in our Moho the end of March. Some years it has not been worth it to take it but so much easier to travel with 4 dogs especially since one is big.

Plus if they raise fees too much on public transit it not only makes it harder on low income people financially, it makes car driving more appealing as a lower cost option. If the goal is to move people out of cars and on to public transit, then raising prices for fares will have the opposite impact. We see that already with current low gas prices ($2.40 here in SoCal) and saw the reverse (more people taking public transit or bike/motorcycle riding, ride sharing, getting compact cars) when gas prices were around $5/gal here a few years ago.

jp1
1-14-15, 6:16pm
Plus if they raise fees too much on public transit it not only makes it harder on low income people financially, it makes car driving more appealing as a lower cost option. If the goal is to move people out of cars and on to public transit, then raising prices for fares will have the opposite impact. We see that already with current low gas prices ($2.40 here in SoCal) and saw the reverse (more people taking public transit or bike/motorcycle riding, ride sharing, getting compact cars) when gas prices were around $5/gal here a few years ago.

You're correct, obviously. But the "I've got mine and got it all without any help from anyone else" crowd hate the idea of higher taxes on something they use in order to benefit society as a whole. It sort of reminds me the way a 7 year old watches like a hawk as the cake is being cut and distributed because they want to make sure that no one else gets even a little bit more than they do.

Alan
1-14-15, 6:33pm
It sort of reminds me the way a 7 year old watches like a hawk as the cake is being cut and distributed because they want to make sure that no one else gets even a little bit more than they do.I suppose it might seem that way if you perceived the cake as belonging to someone else and you were looking for your fair share, but if your perception is that you're happy paying for your slice but hate the idea of the baker applying artificial inflation to your cost, then that's another story.

Yossarian
1-14-15, 7:50pm
the idea of higher taxes on something they use in order to benefit society as a whole.

If it was up to me I would increase taxes on gas but use that revenue to reduce other taxes, like employment taxes. That said, ask yourself if your characterization would still apply if the money was used for a football stadium. Maybe some people don't go to games and don't want to pay taxes to support a public asset they never use. Selfish bastards!

Spartana
1-14-15, 10:36pm
I suppose it might seem that way if you perceived the cake as belonging to someone else and you were looking for your fair share, but if your perception is that you're happy paying for your slice but hate the idea of the baker applying artificial inflation to your cost, then that's another story.Or that you own the whole cake (made from your own labor) and it is being taken from you by others to feed one group of people you may not want to feed part of your cake to, instead of another group of people you may want to feed. Or no one

ToomuchStuff
1-15-15, 4:38pm
If it was up to me I would increase taxes on gas but use that revenue to reduce other taxes, like employment taxes. That said, ask yourself if your characterization would still apply if the money was used for a football stadium. Maybe some people don't go to games and don't want to pay taxes to support a public asset they never use. Selfish bastards!

The problem there, is what the taxes are going to. Of course things will vary some (states tax laws, verses federal tax laws, etc), but some taxes are bound to go to certain categories by law. Lower one tax in an area, and taxes in another area, may not be able to be appropriated for such.
To give an example, in Missouri, when the lottery was proposed, the money was dictated to schools (by the law). People ASSUMED, that this money would be in addition to the normal money and thought it would be a boom to the education economy. What it did was allow the government to use that money for schools, and that same amount that would have gone to schools out of the general fund, could go back to the general fund for something else.
Until you know where the taxes are bound by law to, you couldn't make good on that promise.

jp1
1-16-15, 11:06pm

I agree that raising the gas tax while lowering others to make it revenue neutral would be the best plan. The difference between raising gas taxes and football stadium taxes is that one has a clear benefit to society and the other a clear benefit to football team owners. I suppose one could try to make the case the new football stadiums are good for society... After all, perhaps one day hundreds of years from now tourists will be going to the new Giants football stadium with the same enthusiasm and curiousity that today's tourists go to the Colliseum.

Tiam
1-17-15, 1:21am
I notice a few more people biking when prices go WAY up, but they mostly have no clue what they are doing (I should support people biking ok - btw I'd favor separate bike paths, I never said things should be designed for cars but they mostly are), I'm just saying that they do extremely dangerous things and if you are behind an auto and these new bikers come out EXTREME caution is needed. I also notice 40 year old cars suddenly come out of people's garages because they are smaller than their other car I guess, so these ancient cars are rambling along the road looking like they are going to fall apart at any minute and I laugh (p.s. my car is 10 years old at present). There's a certain comedy to the whole thing - the bikers who don't know basic bike safety, the 40 year old rambling wrecks.

I try and cycle commute. I'm a coward and don't go in the cold. But I should. I don't agree with separate bike paths. I think separate bike paths are great for pleasure but usually not for effeciency. I would like to be able to cycle safely. It's a hard thing to do when roads are designed for auto safety and not car safety. I like the stuff Denmark and other cycle friendly countries do, by making the roads favor the cyclist and not the auto drivers. There's the difference. Motivation to want to ride a bike.

Lainey
1-17-15, 1:51pm
Paid $1.77 today here in Phx.

Lainey
1-21-15, 7:45pm
http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/cheap-oil-is-dangerous-for-america-despite-consumer-savings/ar-AA8qPWw

A thoughtful article on the ramifications on our economy for low oil prices. It's fun to fill up our tank for less, but the domino effect on jobs, etc. is already here.

ApatheticNoMore
1-21-15, 8:54pm
But what if fracking and the like does provide jobs, it only poisons the water supply in the long run.

Lainey
1-22-15, 7:12pm
But what if fracking and the like does provide jobs, it only poisons the water supply in the long run.

yep, short term gain, long term pain.

dmc
8-3-15, 5:37pm
I see oil is down to $45 a barrel. And if the Iran deal goes through I would expect a glut of Iranian oil to hit the market.

i don't keep up with the price of car gas that much, I paid $3.40 for 90 octane ethanol free fuel the other day. And 100ll for the plane is around $4.00. Hopefully it will drop some as I'm going to be taking some trips soon.

razz
8-3-15, 7:19pm
Well, l we are not seeing the prices drop as apparently the 'rack' price is determined by the refineries and they keep cranking it up in Canada.

Had a moment so did the conversion and I am paying about $4.50/US gallon locally

Tiam
8-3-15, 10:09pm
I'm paying about $3.20 a gallon here. I love riding my bike as a form of alternative transportation. But the town I live in is not terribly bicycle friendly. I wish it were.

Teacher Terry
8-4-15, 2:04pm
In Nevada we are paying about 3.50

rosarugosa
8-4-15, 8:03pm
$2.50 in Boston

ApatheticNoMore
8-4-15, 8:30pm
Over $4 last weekend when I filled up, seems it might be down a few cents since then. Prices are only dropping relative to a pretty high peak they reached a few weeks ago (around $4.50) - they surged up and dropped back down to more usual prices.

I plan the same regardless $40 for a fill up, is it really worth stressing over it any more than that for a compact car? I don't think so. When it's high it doesn't quite fill it up but it's enough until next time (except when its gotten to $5 a gallon or more, then I'd have to start budgeting more like $50). When it's cheap $35 or less does it, even though I planned $40.

dmc
9-5-15, 6:01am
$1.89 in GA yesterday.

kib
9-5-15, 6:15pm
$2.29 in Tucson.

rosarugosa
9-5-15, 8:43pm
We were in Lynn today and saw $1.99!

mschrisgo2
9-8-15, 9:37pm
$2.46 in the San Francisco bay area today, down 10 cents from Friday.

profnot
9-9-15, 7:26pm
If you really want to know about why gas is priced the way it is, read the book "The Colder War."

The title refers to the cold war following WWII and how we are now in a colder war.

The book follows the petrodollar and focuses on Russia's Putin and the roles played by US presidents and other world leaders.

And if you want to know about the US dollar, read "The Creature from Jekyll Island." It talks about the secret creation of the Federal Reserve bank. Be certain to get the second edition as it includes the financial crisis of 2008. FUN read - the author is a great writer. The story starts in a dark and mysterious train station with unidentified well-dressed men going to an unknown location.