PDA

View Full Version : Key West

Yossarian
12-9-14, 10:37pm
Anyone have any favorites spots or experiences in Key West you'd like to share?

rodeosweetheart
12-10-14, 9:09am
As a little girl in the 60's going to see Hemingway's house and the swimming pool with the central drain plug, plus the cats.

In the 80's, the conch train and the aquarium.

IMagine those are all still there?

Weston
12-10-14, 10:01am
As a little girl in the 60's going to see Hemingway's house and the swimming pool with the central drain plug, plus the cats.

In the 80's, the conch train and the aquarium.

IMagine those are all still there?

I live less than 2 hours from Key West and for many years lived only slightly more than an hour away.

Yes, all the things mentioned by rodeo sweetheart are still there.

The first thing that comes to mind when discussing "must sees" in KW is sunset on Mallory Square. Breathtaking sunsets, great tropical drinks available at the bars nearby and wonderful street performers. Do not miss it. In fact when advising visitors I usually recommend that they go every day.

As far as other ideas for KW. I usually divide what I like about the town into stages of life.

When I was young and single I didn't have much use for KW before dark. Loved it after dark when the bar and music scene would really kick in.

Once I hit middle age, and had a family I stopped having much use for KW after dark. Too many drunk, rowdy people after dark on Duvall Street. Once I got older, KW became all about the art galleries and water sports. If you can book a sailing or snorkeling trip, do so. The minute I drive from the mainland into the Keys and look out on the crystal clear water with it's small islands and lush mangroves I can actually feel the stress leave my body.

If I can go just a little into grumpy old man mode. I really, really love KW. It remains a very special place and very much one of my favorite places on the planet. But it sure isn't what it used to be. When I first went there 40 years ago (remember: Grumpy Old Man!) it was an amazing bohemian enclave bursting with writers and artists and musicians. During the past 25 years it has become much more commercialized. For my tastes too many chain restaurants and T shirt shops. I think that is mainly due to the changes that resulted when it became a regular port for Cruise ships. I do recommend that you also get advice from locals about exploring the Keys (translation: get off of Duval Street once in awhile).

Even if it isn't the KW of my youth I still very much love going there. If you need specific recommendations for sights and/or restaurants just give me an idea of your budget and whether you will have a car there and I will be happy to make more specific recommendations. Have fun!

frugal-one
12-10-14, 2:50pm
Went there last year. Wouldn't recommend it. VERY commercialized. There are better places to go.

kib
12-10-14, 3:43pm
Eat Conch Fritters.

I haven't been to KW in 25 years, so I can't recommend a place, I hear The Conch Shack is great. Will agree that it was already getting too commercial, but former SO's parents had a place on Ramrod Key, so my memories of the Keys are full of catamarans, deep sea fishing, spearing spiny lobsters in the canal, too much sun, beach combing, and lots and lots of fresh fish, conch fritters and beer.

Weston
12-10-14, 4:11pm
If you're interested in what Key West was like before all the cruise ships started arriving, our local PBS station did a very nice short documentary about KW called Bohemia in The Tropics. Worth watching http://vimeo.com/45525919

Packratona!
1-21-15, 8:13pm
I recommend taking a day trip out to the Dry Tortugas on one of the Catamarans that go out there. Explore Jefferson monument, snorkle around the moat there. When I went they feed you a nice lunch on the boat, included in the price. It takes about 2 hours to get out there and depart from the dock at Key West. When my sister went they brought back some Cubans that crashed their raft there; shared the leftovers from the lunch with them.