PDA

View Full Version : Simple decorations

rosarugosa
12-14-14, 7:34pm
I did some seasonal decorations today. White pine, mosses, and small sticks with fungi from the woods; boxwood and holly from the garden. Some add-ons from my stash of "crafty" fodder. I did buy the wreath, but I decorated it myself. I made an album in my profile titled "Seasonal Decorations" if you would like to check them out.
Here's the wreath. I think it might need something more, but it's a good start:

http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1462&d=1418603267

JaneV2.0
12-14-14, 7:57pm
I think it's pretty as is. Love the stars.

rosarugosa
12-14-14, 8:12pm
Thanks, Jane!

iris lilies
12-14-14, 8:27pm
awww that is pretty!

Blackdog Lin
12-14-14, 8:27pm
That's lovely rosa. I wish I were as talented in the craftsy arts as you are.

One thing I AM able to bring to Christmas as a way of simple decorating is in wrapping gifts (all 3 or so of them - we don't do much in the way of gifts for Christmas). :) I love to wrap them in brown paper shopping bag paper, tie them with a simple bow of twine or red ribbon, and tuck a couple sprigs of cedar from our shrubs under the twine or ribbon. Rustic and classic looking and simple, I always think.

TxZen
12-14-14, 9:17pm
Lovely!!!!

iris lilies
12-14-14, 9:46pm
rosa, that is so fresh and simple, I love it!

Polliwog
12-14-14, 11:49pm
Rosa,

I love your wreath, and I love your album photos. It looks like you have a nice environment to live in.

Linda

Songbird
12-15-14, 2:57am
Very pretty!

rosarugosa
12-15-14, 5:53am
Thanks everyone. I guess keeping my wreath simple is consistent with the idea of simple decorations.
Lin: That sounds like a look I would like. I mostly re-use gift bags, and we don't exchange many gifts either.

frugal-one
12-15-14, 2:21pm
Read an article in Sunday's paper about Ikebana... Japanese art of floral arranging... using natural objects. Ordered a few books from the library. Looks like it uses simple things for decorations.

Gardenarian
12-15-14, 2:28pm
Nice! I'm not too crafty - a bowl of pine cones and a few boughs on the table, some mistletoe, a big red bow on the front door - that's about it.

wren
12-17-14, 5:25pm
Your decorations are lovely. Thanks for sharing the photos.

I also like the fragrance of evergreens, and the way they are compostable after the holidays.

Tradd
12-24-14, 3:13pm
Rosa, love your wreath! My decorations are very simple. A medium sized poinsettia plant on breakfast bar and a 2' tall tree on end table in LR.

Songbird
12-24-14, 4:24pm
Tradd, that sounds lovely to me. Simple Christmas decorations are the best in my opinion...

catherine
12-24-14, 4:50pm
I agree with keeping it as it is! It's lovely!

Tradd
12-24-14, 5:13pm
Tradd, that sounds lovely to me. Simple Christmas decorations are the best in my opinion...

I just strung a ribbon across the back of my kitchen cabinets over breakfast bar that face the LR. I hung my cards on the ribbon. I have a pine scented candle going. This works very well. I'll have to hang my cards future years too. Always saw other people do it and never did it. Why, I don't know!

rosarugosa
12-25-14, 6:40am
I do love the fragrance of the evergreens and that's one reason why I always have a wreath. I should get a good quality scented candle so I could enjoy the smell inside the house without the hassle of a tree.

Lainey
12-25-14, 6:12pm
I like the look of Christmas cards as decorations too, but alas, each year I receive fewer. I typically send 20 to family and friends, and maybe get 10-12.
I get that people would rather not hassle with it, but it seems that signing a card with some good wishes, addressing an envelope, stamping and mailing it would not take up too much time since it's only once a year.

Christmas cards might be going extinct, like getting a newspaper delivered in your driveway.