PDA

View Full Version : what are your Christmas treats?

Blackdog Lin
12-19-14, 8:44pm
We have a tradition of buying a Fanestil party ham once a year for a Christmas treat. And this year DH has become enamored of the summer sausage sold at a specialty meat market 20 miles away, so he had to go get a roll, and while he was there got us 2 ribeye steaks, something else we haven't had in most of the year. Looking forward to that meal! And since I've become a "coffee affectionado", for the last 5 years I've bought us a pound of great coffee beans from a coffee shop in another area town for Christmas/New Years week.

And every year we make a huge batch of Chex party mix to both eat around here and give away for gifts. And we have a "Christmas" breakfast pizza for Christmas morning.

Pretty simple and affordable Christmas treats. What are your Christmas food traditions?

JaneV2.0
12-19-14, 9:02pm
Fruitcake (homemade) and brandied eggnog. Chinese food.

Aqua Blue
12-19-14, 9:47pm
Those candies with rice krispies, dates, and rolled in coconut. I made a batch, which are particularly good(I think the dates were extra good). They just don't keep tho, so I may need to make a second batch for the real event. Guess these were the test batch....

Simplemind
12-19-14, 10:11pm
Christmas cookies for Christmas eve. We just finished yesterday - 12 kinds. A steamed cranberry pudding with sauce on Christmas day.

Greg44
12-20-14, 8:33am
"Blonde" Fruit Cake - it really is very good. MIL's recipe.

libby
12-20-14, 10:07am
"Blonde" Fruit Cake - it really is very good. MIL's recipe.

And are you going to share the recipe? ;)

pinkytoe
12-20-14, 10:13am
Not usually sweet eaters but during the holidays, I make pecan pralines and gingersnaps.

IshbelRobertson
12-20-14, 10:47am
I made our Christmas cakes and puddings a while back, along with the traditional Black Bun for hogmanay. I am 'feeding' them regularly with brandy. The cakes will be covered with marzipan and royal icing tomorrow.

I've got batches of sausage rolls and mincepies in the freezer, all made in the past few weeks. Carol singers will be here tomorrow evening, so I mull wine for the adults, applejuice for the underage singers and serve warmed mincepies with a dollop of brandy butter to those who fancy it!

JaneV2.0
12-20-14, 10:58am
Ishbel, it all sounds most festive--and delicious!

iris lilies
12-20-14, 11:38am
Egg nog with Buttershots (a caramel-tasting liqueur)

KayLR
12-20-14, 7:19pm
I used to do all kinds of baking at Christmastime....but I just don't eat that way anymore and don't want all of it in my house. However, for some members of my family it would not be Christmas unless I made what has lovingly come to be known as "Hillbilly Roca." It's made with saltines, butter, brown sugar, choc chips and chopped almonds. So I'll make a batch of that to give away.

I also used to love to make gingerbread and nutmeg cookies.

rodeosweetheart
12-20-14, 8:12pm
Hot mulled cider, clam chowder, Christmas cookies from the Betty Crocker recipe. Oh, and walnut fudge.

domestic goddess
12-20-14, 8:52pm
Usually, I have baked dozens of cookies by this time, but I have been sick since the beginning of the month, so haven't baked a one. I did tell my granddaughter I was going to try to make snickerdoodles tomorrow. Of course, she said "I don't really like snickerdoodles." Tough toenails, I told her. I can only bake what I think I can get done, and right now, that is not anything that requires multiple steps. Then I told her that I knew she'd probably eat them anyway, and she agreed that she probably would. If I can get a few more varieties done, I will, but I am not really optimistic. It is beginning to look like I will be doing most of my gift giving after Christmas, as I haven't been able to get any shopping done, either.