PDA

View Full Version : Office gift giving this holiday season

Tradd
12-28-14, 10:45pm
The office gift giving this Christmas has been non-existent, at least in my department. It's wonderful!

The woman who used to give everyone a small something (usually an ornament) retired last spring. We had a lot of food, but that was it. The last few days before Christmas, people gradually brought in goodies for the department. Sausage, cheese, and crackers from one woman. I made apple bread. Another brought in a smallish platter of cookies she had made. We got a card for immediate manager and the new(ish) GM (our old manager), and that was it for the bosses. I don't know what the other departments did, but that doesn't affect me.

We're having a holiday potluck on the 31st. We're in the midst of moving into our new building over the next few weeks, but we'll have a big party after that, GM has told us.

How did it go with your workplaces?

mschrisgo2
12-28-14, 11:25pm
We had our staff party the week before winter break, a meal of yummy hors doeuvere's, $15 per person at the local brewery soft drinks and/or juices included, or Buy Your Own Beer.

We did the Yankee Gift Swap, and it was lots of fun and very respectful. Lots of good stuff too, not "white elephant": Starbucks cards, candles, chocolates, scarves, note pads and fun pens, marker sets (this is an elementary school staff), stickers and calendars. Everyone was really happy with what they got, and I think really everyone would have been happy with any of the gifts. I really appreciated that because I've gotten real junk in the past at work parties else where- stuff that went straight to Goodwill!

Have I said lately that I Love where I work? I really do.

Zoe Girl
12-29-14, 7:53am
Have I said lately that I Love where I work? I really do.

i agree, for all my complaining i really have great staff and a great school to work at. i got a few small gifts which was very nice. my favorite was from a little girl who was in my sewing class and my regular childcare program. i got a tea cup and good tea, and the bag had a series of holes at the top. she did a running stitch with ribbon on one side and an overhand stitch on the other side (one thing i taught them). i gave each of my staff a $2 reusable starbucks tumbler and a $5 gift card that attached and some candy inside. i did that for like 10 people in my life actually, a really successful gift.

there were some parties at our main office i couldn't make it to, but mostly food.

iris lilies
12-29-14, 9:20am
...We did the Yankee Gift Swap, and it was lots of fun and very respectful. Lots of good stuff too, not "white elephant"....

I think that's a problem, that some people become confused over "yankee" vs "elephant." I actually didn't know that people ever brought nice presents to these things. Personally, I think a few duds would liven it up since I would everything in your "good stuff" list to be b burden.

As far as my work goes we don't do gift exchanges. We had 2 food parties, only one of which I attended. One of my employees told me that she was going to get a group together to give our custodian a little something, I reminded her that there is no "passing the hat" for anyone in my department, and she assured me that some people overhead the discussion and "want" to give money. Ok, whatever.