PDA

View Full Version : mid life career change backwards?

Zoe Girl
12-29-14, 7:41am
i have been on a dating site and it is for 'mindful' people. that means i do not need to explain my meditation habit, people seem a little more like me. However i am also seeing a fair number of people with these jobs that are kinda BS jobs IMHO. i lived in boulder a long time and i am active in meditation groups, but what the heck is a breath counselor or a human development professional? in bios they say they left whatever career to find themselves as a yoga/breath/counselor/qigong, instructor. those guys are not on my list (there are other good ones)

So in a related way i was looking at mid-life career changes into the law field as i get into mediation, you know making more money possibly. the search words came up with many stories of how people left law and went to the other careers (maybe they saved enough money to do this). i know there are a lot of people here who went that direction, are there any stories here or that you know of where people get their heads out of the clouds (that would be me) and got more money focused and practical in mid-life? right now when i get stressed i want to create fabric art and write stories, not a bad idea if it doesn't take too much time, but those are fun long shots not a financial plan.

catherine
12-29-14, 7:55am
I've told my story many times here so I won't bore you, but at the age of 46 I took a leap from being a low-level typist with aspirations of writing to asking the president of the company I was working for if I could take an entry level market research job (with no experience or related education) and over the next few years went from earning $28k to six figures.

I think the whole "find your bliss" thing can derail you, depending upon your goals in life.

Zoe Girl
12-29-14, 8:32am
I think the whole "find your bliss" thing can derail you, depending upon your goals in life.

thank you catherine, i didn't remember your story so it helps.

i think 'follow your bliss' worked a lot better in a strong economy. Being in the Gen X crowd it hasn't worked so often. my 'bliss' is being able to make choices about my life that are based a little more on money than on some idealized notion of low income

Tammy
12-29-14, 9:19am
Sometimes we should use our creativity to find our bliss right in the middle of a high paying job. Not easy - that's why it takes a lot of creativity. ;)

TxZen
12-29-14, 9:29am
I am changing career paths but being realistic. As much as I would like to teach some yoga and do my pet sitting full time, right now I am being realistic and but still pursuing a more creative career (administrative healthcare to marketing/pr/communications). I am going to grow both my career and passions.

Dhiana
12-29-14, 7:07pm
+1 What Tammy said. There are a lot of different kinds of lawyers.