PDA

View Full Version : Affordable Pet Transport Overseas?

kib
12-29-14, 1:43pm
I have friends who are contemplating a move to England, and things were going well until they hit a surprising snag: the cost of transporting their dogs. These two weigh in at I'm guessing 40 and 60 pounds. The quote my friend got for the cost of air transport including crates, paperwork and a liaison at the receiving end (insurance that everything goes to the letter and the dogs don't get sent back) was in excess of $5,000. Really, they could get their dogs two seats in first class for that price. Ah, excuse me, do you have any Grey Poup-bags?

Does anyone have experience or ideas in how to seriously decrease this cost? She is at her wits end, thinking of taking a second job to pay for this, which seems crazy.

Tradd
12-29-14, 1:50pm
Air freight is expensive in any case. Add the additional issues with transporting animals, and I'm not surprised at the cost.

iris lilies
12-29-14, 1:50pm
I have friends who are contemplating a move to England, and things were going well until they hit a surprising snag: the cost of transporting their dogs. These two weigh in at I'm guessing 40 and 60 pounds. The quote my friend got for the cost of air transport including crates, paperwork and a liaison at the receiving end (insurance that everything goes to the letter and the dogs don't get sent back) was in excess of $5,000. Really, they could get their dogs two seats in first class for that price. Ah, excuse me, do you have any Grey Poup-bags?

Does anyone have experience or ideas in how to seriously decrease this cost? She is at her wits end, thinking of taking a second job to pay for this, which seems crazy.

One of our rescue bulldogs flew to Ireland a couple of years ago when his owner was transferred. It was the hottest week of the year. Many airplanes won't fly brachycephalic dogs at all any more let alone fly them in 100 degree F weather. This dog flew, if I remember correctly, on a Dutch airline from Chicago that ferries flowers back and forth. He was in aircooled spaces at all times.

I'll see if I can get more info on this.

Tradd
12-29-14, 1:51pm
Dutch? Probably KLM.

rodeosweetheart
12-29-14, 2:45pm
I thought if you took your dogs to the British Isles you had to quarantine them for 6 months because they do not have rabies there. Maybe that is why it is so high?

kib
12-29-14, 3:03pm
One of our rescue bulldogs flew to Ireland a couple of years ago when his owner was transferred. It was the hottest week of the year. Many airplanes won't fly brachycephalic dogs at all any more let alone fly them in 100 degree F weather. This dog flew, if I remember correctly, on a Dutch airline from Chicago that ferries flowers back and forth. He was in aircooled spaces at all times.

I'll see if I can get more info on this.Thanks. You painted such a nice visual picture there, I had this image of a bulldog sitting with goggles on, ears flapping, in front of a fan, surrounded by acreages of lilies. :)

Teacher Terry
12-29-14, 4:30pm
Yes definitely check quarantines because it varies by country.

awakenedsoul
12-29-14, 4:49pm
When I worked in Europe, a few of the dancers flew their dogs from NYC to Vienna, Austria. From there it was easier to travel by train through Europe. We had coach buses, too. It couldn't have been that expensive, because we were only earning about $600.00 per week, plus per diem. This was 24 years ago...

I would keep researching. Austria is a good place to land. It's very cold there right now, though. Summer is gorgeous!

Dhiana
12-29-14, 6:43pm
That sounds like they are planning to ship the dogs separately from when they are planning to go.
She should be able to just roll up to the counter with pets in proper carriers and paperwork as if they are just your extra luggage.
I don't recall a fee to do that anywhere near $5K you mentioned.

Maybe it is the 6 mos of quarantine fees?

It cost me $89 to bring my cat over to Japan. There should be an official website with all procedures, shots, and paperwork she will need to bring her pets to England.

kib
12-29-14, 7:05pm
This from www.gov.uk

When you enter or return to the UK from another EU or non-EU listed country (https://www.gov.uk/pet-travel-information-for-pet-owners#countries-and-territories) your pet needs to meet the entry requirements. These include:

a microchip (https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/microchip)
a rabies vaccination (https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/rabies-vaccination-boosters-and-blood-tests)
a pet passport or third country official veterinary certificate (https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/pet-passport)
a tapeworm treatment (https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/tapeworm-treatment-dogs) (for dogs only)

You must also use an approved transport company and an approved route (https://www.gov.uk/pet-travel-information-for-pet-owners#routes-and-transport-companies) unless you’re travelling between the UK and the Republic of Ireland (all other rules still apply).

I think it's the last bit that is making the cost insane.

IshbelRobertson
12-30-14, 4:41am
Have a look ay www.uk-yankees.com

A number of the Americans moving to the UK have successfully transported their pets here.

Spartana
1-14-15, 10:38am
Have a look ay www.uk-yankees.com

A number of the Americans moving to the UK have successfully transported their pets here.

Thanks for the link Ishbel will check it out. I've been looking for a way to take my pet (small dog) overseas for a year or 2 and it does seem like quarantine is no longer an issue - especially if coming thru the UK as I would be. Getting a Pet Passport seems to be the easiest way to move around the EU too. Not sure how practical it is to actually travel in Europe with a dog long term, but I think if I rented places for a few months at a time in different areas it might be doable without to much hassle. Has anyone ever done that? Surprised that the actual cost to get your pet there is so expensive though. That would be too prohibitive of a cost ($5000 one way) for me to do it. Maybe a cruise ship or cargo ship that allowed passengers would be better if they allow the dog up on deck or in your stateroom with you.

awakenedsoul
1-14-15, 10:42am
Spartana, I haven't, but some of the dancers I worked with on the European tour of "42nd Street" did. It's so different there. You can take your dog with you into the cafes and restaurants. They're very dog friendly.

You'd just have to find apt. rentals that allow dogs. I'm sure there are many. I rented one in Berlin that did. My roommate had a dog. They even let her bring it to the theater at night! (In the dressing room.)

Float On
1-14-15, 12:21pm
I thought if you took your dogs to the British Isles you had to quarantine them for 6 months because they do not have rabies there. Maybe that is why it is so high?

One of the reasons we passed up a job in Bermuda 20 years ago was because of a year quarantine that our Golden Retriever would have had to endure - he had separation anxiety issues and I was afraid all that time apart would of done him in. Bermuda has since done away with the quarantine and just requires a permit.

Teacher Terry
1-14-15, 12:45pm
WE looked into taking our small dog to Poland with us 5 years ago but quarantine was an issue & many countries in Europe were doing that back then. WE wanted to travel for a few months & take her. Instead we went for 2 weeks & left her home.

iris lilies
1-14-15, 1:39pm
I did talk to my friend. She recommends Lufthansa airlines, and says to call their cargo department directly.

She few a dog from Spain for $1,600. It's going to be expensive, no matter what the deal. Inoculations within a specific time period is a requirement.

I'm glad the hysterical regulations in other countries against rabies have been relaxed. That said, I do actually know someone who had the full blown disease, rabies, here in St. Louis, in the suburbs. My friend's father saw a young cat, picked her up, and the cat went ballistic and bit him in several places. The cat was rabid. He was hospitalized and it was serious of course, but he lived and was fine after that ordeal.

Does anyone else know someone who had rabies?

rodeosweetheart
1-19-15, 3:28pm
I did talk to my friend. She recommends Lufthansa airlines, and says to call their cargo department directly.

She few a dog from Spain for $1,600. It's going to be expensive, no matter what the deal. Inoculations within a specific time period is a requirement.

I'm glad the hysterical regulations in other countries against rabies have been relaxed. That said, I do actually know someone who had the full blown disease, rabies, here in St. Louis, in the suburbs. My friend's father saw a young cat, picked her up, and the cat went ballistic and bit him in several places. The cat was rabid. He was hospitalized and it was serious of course, but he lived and was fine after that ordeal.

Does anyone else know someone who had rabies?

Yes, I had a friend who was English by birth, adopted Swiss citizenship, and her son had rabies by playing with farm kittens-- 14 days of shots in the stomach, I think. That was in Switzerland.

I remember having a rabid dog come through our neighborhood one summer in Virginia; my dad got his shotgun and went out and shot it, all the children were rounded up first and kept inside--sort of like a Western.