PDA

View Full Version : TV series that you saw but would like to watch again

frugal-one
1-7-15, 8:13pm
My DB asked me for series that I told him about a few years ago that he would like to watch again. I thought this might be a good thread.

Canadian... Wind at My Back.............Really good
British....... As Time Goes By ...........Really good
British....... Bramwell .....................Really good

nswef
1-7-15, 10:16pm
Oh, I miss China Beach and Hill Street Blues.

JaneV2.0
1-8-15, 1:25am
I'm planning to binge-watch The X-files one of these days.

Tenngal
1-8-15, 8:56am
Dallas, the original version
Tour of Duty
The West Wing

catherine
1-8-15, 10:37am
I used to watch sitcoms a lot, but DH hates them, so I haven't watched them in years, so if I were to get a boxed set of all the episodes of one sitcom it would be 30 Rock.

KayLR
1-8-15, 1:16pm
Used to enjoy Northern Exposure. Also Rockford Files, Spenser for Hire, and Columbo.

lessisbest
1-8-15, 2:45pm
Not only would watch again, but have several times.....

Keeping Up Appearances (British) - we can watch it twice on Saturday on either of the two PBS stations we get, and we have the box set.

Doc Martin (British) - also shown on PBS, and we have all the seasons on DVD. You don't have to watch this show in sequence, any one of them is good.

Poirot (British) - started watching it on PBS and purchased several box sets at Sam's Club and can watch them over and over. Just love the 1920's décor.

KayLR
1-8-15, 2:56pm
Not only would watch again, but have several times.....

Keeping Up Appearances (British) - we can watch it twice on Saturday on either of the two PBS stations we get, and we have the box set.

Doc Martin (British) - also shown on PBS, and we have all the seasons on DVD. You don't have to watch this show in sequence, any one of them is good.

Poirot (British) - started watching it on PBS and purchased several box sets at Sam's Club and can watch them over and over. Just love the 1920's décor.

Oh yes, Keeping Up Appearances!!! Sometimes when I see one of my girls calling on the ID, I answer, "Bouquet Residence! Lady of the house speaking!!" We used to watch that religiously!

Doc Martin is still showing in reruns here.

pinkytoe
1-8-15, 3:12pm
Northern Exposure for me.

Dhiana
1-8-15, 3:32pm
WKRP in Cinncinati is one I'd like to see again but due to all the music rights issues and cost involved to get those rights it's unlikely they will ever be shown as they originally were ever again :(

Lessisbest - If you like Poirot's 1920's settings/clothes you might also like Miss Fisher's Mysteries: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1988386/

ToomuchStuff
1-8-15, 4:02pm
Have a locally broadcast station that is doing some old tv. When I found out I went ahead and hooked up an antenna. Going to have to figure out what devices record, due to my work schedule to see what I want and when.
They have the Carol Burnet show back.
One I would like to see again, Soap. (don't know that it would be as funny now)
Caught a couple of All in the Family episodes. Liked growing up, now seems pretty dated.

For British ones, I might watch Coupling again.
Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy (tv series) and Mulberry are two that I have to be in the mood for something that were never completed.
How not to live your life.

goldensmom
1-8-15, 4:15pm
Used to enjoy Northern Exposure. Also Rockford Files, Spenser for Hire, and Columbo.

We just pulled out season 1 of 'Northern Exposure' last night! It's so quirky, I love it. 'Wind At My Back' is a great show that we watch a lot. The Crystal Skull is probably my favorite episode that I don't mind watching over and over. Another Canadian series that I'd like to watch again is 'Corner Gas'. We have the first season of 'Newhart', I like dry humor. That's my list for the winter months. An old TV show that I would like to watch is 'In the Heat of the Night' with Carrol O'Connor but I don't have the DVDs.

Aqua Blue
1-8-15, 4:55pm
Inspector Lewis
Inspector Morse

Marion
1-8-15, 5:11pm
Fantasy Island
The Man from UNCLE

Azure
1-8-15, 5:18pm
Hillstreet Blues. I actually have the 1st 2 seasons on dvd but have yet to find any other seasons available. Darn!

High Chaparral. A great old western from when I was young. Not available on dvd that I have ever been able to find. :(

creaker
1-8-15, 7:22pm
Depending on what your tolerance is for picture/recording quality, youtube has many series online.

Packy
1-9-15, 3:07am
Yeah, I watch some of my favorite tee-vee shows on YouTube, that were on before Cable, and tee-vee in general, went completely downhill. For you drama buffs, the old "Combat!" TV series from the 60's is on YouTube. It's really pretty good & btw, was filmed in black & white. Usually very suspenseful. More of a morality play, than an action show. The series' storyline was set in WWII-era France. Interestingly, the producer of the show and the two lead actors were Jewish, and the dialog referred to German Troops as "Krauts". I guess that isn't really intended as a pejorative though. Or is it?

lessisbest
1-9-15, 4:53am
WKRP in Cinncinati is one I'd like to see again but due to all the music rights issues and cost involved to get those rights it's unlikely they will ever be shown as they originally were ever again :(

Lessisbest - If you like Poirot's 1920's settings/clothes you might also like Miss Fisher's Mysteries: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1988386/

We loved Miss Fisher's Mysteries and have watched the entire series on ROKU/Acorn, but probably wouldn't watch it again. I hope they do another season, however.

Aqua Blue
1-9-15, 9:16am
I am currently about one half way thru watching Miss Fisher and have enjoyed it, too.

Azure
1-9-15, 10:41am
I also love W K R P I have the first season on DVD but haven't looked for any other seasons yet.

CathyA
1-9-15, 11:38am
Have a locally broadcast station that is doing some old tv. When I found out I went ahead and hooked up an antenna. Going to have to figure out what devices record, due to my work schedule to see what I want and when.
They have the Carol Burnet show back.
One I would like to see again, Soap. (don't know that it would be as funny now)

TooMuchStuff.........isn't it curious how some shows left us laughing hysterically back then, but don't seem to do that now. I don't think it's because we've seen it before......but rather that our senses of humor have changed. ??
Interesting.

lessisbest
1-9-15, 1:46pm
I just received notification from Netflix that season 8 of psyche is now available. We watched it when it first came out until it switched to the 9 p.m. slot, and that's when we go to bed, so we started from episode 1 and have watched everything but season 8. Shawn and Gus are about the same age as our "kids", so I identify with the flashbacks to their childhood.

We never watched Murder, She Wrote when it was on, but after I had surgery last summer I started watching it on Netflix and now I try to get one episode a week as a mid-afternoon treat until I've watched all of them. I don't like to take naps, but when you get up at 3 a.m., a bit of a respite watching a benign show from the late 80's, early 90's is almost as good as a nap. I do love the fashions from that time - shoulder pads and all (LOL).

ToomuchStuff
1-11-15, 10:07pm
TooMuchStuff.........isn't it curious how some shows left us laughing hysterically back then, but don't seem to do that now. I don't think it's because we've seen it before......but rather that our senses of humor have changed. ??
Interesting.

Sense of humor does change, but that isn't the only thing. I remember Soap as being rather topical (spoofs on things, for example the Exorcist with both someones baby and the dummy). Topical humor rarely if ever stands the test of time, IMHE.
I heard a conversation the other day, about things that we (as a society) used to laugh at:
The Honeymooners was one example (spouse abuse, AKA send you to the moon), another example was a scene in Animal House where a chick is passed out and the guys are saying go for it. (rape)
I don't really remember Animal House, except for two items.
Super secret double probation
Food fight.
But I was a kid when it came out and by the time I would be at the appreciation stage for it, others, such as Porkies came out.

Kestra
1-11-15, 11:13pm
Pioneer Quest - that reality show where they lived north of Winnipeg for almost a year, almost pioneer style. I loved that show and want DH to see it.

Zoe Girl
1-11-15, 11:52pm
Buffy, totally forgot Buffy. At least until it got really strange with some of the dying and coming back. i just skip ahead to the horribly destructive relationship with Spike

Gardenarian
1-15-15, 12:02pm
Inspector Morse is the only one that comes to mind.