PDA

View Full Version : Olives

Tiam
2-5-15, 2:03am
Do you like them? Use them? In what way? Do you eat them as is? or combine them? Green? stuffed? black? Kalamati? What else? Make your own? Do you think they are good? not so good? Bad?

ApatheticNoMore
2-5-15, 2:37am
Do you like them? Use them? In what way? Do you eat them as is? or combine them? Green? stuffed? black? Kalamati? What else? Make your own? Do you think they are good? not so good? Bad?

Yea sometimes, as a snack, with cheese or nuts or something. Black or green can be great depending on how they are prepared but they are all different, some shrively and oily, some plump - that's the variety at an olive bar. I've used Kalamati in recipes though they are a bit strong for my tastes plain. My favorites and good to eat plain are small black/brown nicoises in brine in a glass jar.

But eat a lot of them? Not really. I tend to forget about eating them. But eat a lot of olive oil? Definitely. I tried to cut back on olive oil for awhile (it being pure empty fat calories afterall) but I seem to have fallen off that wagon a bit too quickly. Of course olive oil is a whole bunch of different varieties and flavors as well, and a lot is produced in this state.

catherine
2-5-15, 7:10am
OMG, I love olives. I put them on my salads, I eat them for snacks. My mother used to make me a cream cheese and olive sandwich for my school lunches, and I still make them. They're delicious--especially on toast.

IshbelRobertson
2-5-15, 7:12am
Adore olives!

Highlight of our European wanderings is to sample and bring back supplies of locally grown olives.

rosarugosa
2-5-15, 7:52am
I never met an olive I didn't like. I buy regular black olives by the case and add to my salads every day. DH & I both remember snitching olives out of the salads our moms were making for dinner as kids, and being told "wait until I put this on the table!" So now that we are the adults, we can eat ALL the olives, lol. So I put lots of olives on our salads and encourage snitching. The last I heard, they were supposed to be good for us too :)

lessisbest
2-5-15, 8:20am
The first time I ever ate olives (black olives and green) was in Bible School in 1961 (examples of foods from the Bible) when I was a kid and it was love at first bite. Our kids always placed black olives on their fingertips and ate them off one-by-one.

Alan
2-5-15, 8:55am
Ewwwww, Olives....{{{shudder}}}

IshbelRobertson
2-5-15, 11:01am
PHILISTINE :)
Although, I suspect Philistines ate olives!

nswef
2-5-15, 11:18am
I just finished making an olive dip- can of sliced black, jar of sliced green, 1 can of drained diced tomatoes, 1 T. olive oil, 1 T. red wine vinegar toss, add 3 oz. feta....yum, yum yum We eat it with a spoon, but try to put some crackers with it so we think it's a dip.

goldensmom
2-5-15, 12:36pm
Black olives, yes, I could eat a whole can of them but it would probably make me sick. Green olives are too salty for me.

wren
2-5-15, 12:42pm
I just finished making an olive dip- can of sliced black, jar of sliced green, 1 can of drained diced tomatoes, 1 T. olive oil, 1 T. red wine vinegar toss, add 3 oz. feta....yum, yum yum We eat it with a spoon, but try to put some crackers with it so we think it's a dip.

:) A spoon is just a recyclable cracker.
I love olives.

Float On
2-5-15, 2:44pm
Just had lunch out with a friend at the greek deli. I asked for extra olives on my greek salad.
I do not like green olives.

rosarugosa
2-5-15, 6:57pm
Haha Alan, I'll eat those olives if you're going to leave them :)

Mary B.
2-5-15, 10:47pm
I love them. I love black olive tapenade, and I love olives stuffed with pimento. (When I was a kid, I thought they grew that way!)

And although it is perhaps not a simple taste, I love them in martinis.