PDA

View Full Version : Do you notice a difference in how your feel when the air quality is low?

Tiam
2-14-15, 1:47pm
I live in an area doesn't have a lot of air pollution in general, but it's a valley and we get inversion layers that trap bad air in. We've had poor air quality most of the week. I'm really noticing how tired, achey and run down I'm feeling this week. I'm guessing it's related. But I never am sure if that's the reason. How about others? do you notice a difference in how you feel on poor air quality days?

ToomuchStuff
2-14-15, 4:25pm
Depends on what the pollutent is. For me, things like Lilac's (up the street and next door growing up), cause me allergy issues and might lead to asthma issues (the issue that kept me out of the military). I have enough allergies that what others might find as good or normal air quality, might screw with me. Yet working in the garage, I was around chemicals that do affect others (had a friend/customer that had no voicebox), but don't really bother me unless I walk right into them (no different then mace in the eyes).
Our air quality has never got the point where smog tests on cars are required.

Packy
2-14-15, 6:54pm
Just a theory, but it is no doubt depressing living around those come-here, VERY progressive callyfornyans. Plus, second-hand smoke from all the cannabis could be making you drowsy and lethargic. Maybe try moving to the east desert areas, and see if it helps. Thankk Mee.

lessisbest
2-15-15, 5:27am
I live in a relatively small town in the middle of Kansas wheat country, and the air quality is great in the winter, but spring through fall is a whole different thing. I live on the edge of town close to wheat fields and pasture land - which literally surround us. After wheat harvest, many of the fields are burned-off leaving flying debris from the burned stubble and smoke filling the air. Many farmers also burn pastures about once a year. The air quality is terrible for those of use with weak respiratory systems during burn season. I have to avoid outdoor chores when this happens, which is usually around dusk when the wind tends to die down making it "safe" to burn. I also have to avoid being outdoors when the neighbor dries their clothing and the softener perfume and chemical toxins come billowing out from the dryer. I can't breath properly in hair salons due to the toxic chemicals in their unvented places of business, so I avoid them as well.

You may find this link helpful: Bad Air Day! Here's How to Survive - http://www.health.com/health/condition-article/0,,20293130,00.html

Gardenarian
2-16-15, 12:38am
Hi Tiam,
How timely!
I was just researching the health effects of air stagnation. When the air sits in the valley my eyes get very red and watery, and a bit of a runny nose. I haven't noticed the fatigue and such...yet. My house is up above 99, so I'm not right in it.

I read that it's dangerous for the elderly - they said over 50! I know I'm not a kid, but elderly??,

I have been doing lots of pranayama (yoga breathing) indoors, hoping it will strengthen my system.

It's odd how the air seems clean and fresh (to me at least) but I guess it's full of particulates. Seems like that is a likely cause of inflammation.