PDA

View Full Version : Hello, all...

smellincoffee
3-27-11, 3:48pm
I'm not sure how other people become interested in living simply, but my interest in it started as soon as I became working and learned the value of a dollar: having earned my spending money by spending ten hours a day of my life in steel-toed boots, working in a factory, I was not inclined to spend it.

Later I left the factory to start my university education, and in my first semester I chanced to read Erich Fromm and Epicures at the same time. I didn't encounter either in the classroom, but I am an avid reader and like to explore ideas. Fromm wrote "To Have or to Be?" wherein he criticized the modern habit of tying our identities to the things we possessed.

I also read Epicures, as I said, and if none of you have had the pleasure...he's a wonder. He advocated the simple life. As far as he was concerned, all of the cultural mess that people obsessed about -- nationality, religion, honor -- didn't matter. The most rational way to make sense of life was just to enjoy it, he thought, and the simple life was most amenable to that. He taught philosophy from a garden, where he lived with a few friends and strove to be self-sufficient. Though his name has been adopted by revelers and wine snobs, Epicures was a man of sober tastes who believed our enjoyment of life could be maximized if we taught ourselves to be content with less.

More importantly at this time I lived and worked on-campus. I needed only to walk across the street to attend most of my classes (as a history major, sociology minor) and go to work. I only had to drive my car once a month, when I visited home. The town was lovely: thanks to the university population it maintained a healthy main street, and everything I needed could be accessed within a 30 minute walk. I spent my days outside, playing games with friends, going for hikes, reading contentedly under a tree, or gazing at the stars...retiring to my room in the evening where, for the first time that day, I got online or played a computer game. Most of my life was contained in one bubble of authentic experiences, and I was happy. I needed no effort: I just woke up and realized where I was. :) I never had spending money, but if I'd worked another job to get that money, to buy things, where would I have been? I would have had less time to enjoy myself, and the work would probably unpleasant. I chose to live instead as someone who was forever without money, but always happy. :)

For me, simple living is the path to happiness...and I intend to continue walking it. The best cast scenario for me would be life in a small town like my university town, where I could walk or bike from my home to any place I needed to go, while being part of a community.

Mrs-M
3-27-11, 10:05pm
http://th863.photobucket.com/albums/ab196/debbiesky/th_welcome9.gif

danna
3-27-11, 10:23pm
Welcome this is a great site...

Sad Eyed Lady
3-27-11, 10:36pm
Hello smellincoffee, and welcome to the forums. You will enjoy your time spent here I am sure!

Deborah
3-30-11, 9:45am
My late dear best friend taught me how to know me through simplicity out and in... I will always miss him. We would walk the main streets of small towns and look at shop window dressings. We went to our local lake and park to pick up trash and talk to other park visitors about simple topics. Simplicity directed me to myself which is the only person I can be. He read Henry David T. over and over and quoted his favorite thoughts often. That was awesome.

KR CP which is to say, Kind Regards, countrypagan