PDA

View Full Version : Norton needed for my Macbook?

razz
3-5-15, 7:55pm
I had a Windows computer forever but last September bought a Macbook Air. My Norton 360 is about to expire in the next month. Should I get an extension for the Macbook or????? Any suggestions appreciated.

SteveinMN
3-7-15, 10:59am
I had a Windows computer forever but last September bought a Macbook Air. My Norton 360 is about to expire in the next month. Should I get an extension for the Macbook or????? Any suggestions appreciated.
Macs are susceptible to far fewer viruses, malware apps, etc., than Windows computers. However, they do exist and, depending on the software you use (Microsoft Office, Adobe Flash, Adobe Acrobat, etc.), it's possible your computer could be a vector to transmit the bad stuff in files used.

But over a couple of decades I have not had the most positive experience with Norton Anti-Virus. In fact, there's a kind-of joke that runs around IT claiming that Norton acts very much like the viruses it's there to protect against.

My recommendation for people who want to run an anti-virus app on their Macs is to go with ClamXav (http://www.clamxav.com/). It's free (donationware if you really like it), it's minimally invasive itself, it's well-supported, and -- short of very specific issues which have to be remedied by the company publishing the vector software -- it does the job well.

mschrisgo2
3-7-15, 11:24am
I've had Macs for forever, and the only problem I've ever had was when my Android phone was synced to my computer for email- input a virus that the Mac rejected, but the virus knocked out the phone on the way back in! Lesson learned: Don't Sync!

razz
3-7-15, 1:00pm
Thanks for the feedback.

freshstart
7-1-15, 8:46am
But over a couple of decades I have not had the most positive experience with Norton Anti-Virus. In fact, there's a kind-of joke that runs around IT claiming that Norton acts very much like the viruses it's there to protect against.

My recommendation for people who want to run an anti-virus app on their Macs is to go with ClamXav (http://www.clamxav.com/). It's free (donationware if you really like it), it's minimally invasive itself, it's well-supported, and -- short of very specific issues which have to be remedied by the company publishing the vector software -- it does the job well.

Thanks for this, I switched to Mac 9 yrs ago, didn't seem to ever have any kind of virus issue but it's good to know this is out there and free! On Windows, I always had Norton or McAffee and they both caused problems