PDA

View Full Version : Favorite oldie but goodie recipes

flowerseverywhere
3-15-15, 4:22am
I was cleaning out my kitchen cabinets and came across my old Betty Crocker cookbook with a bunch of loose recipes jammed in. With the I termed I hadn't opened it in years. So I have been trying some old gems we used to make, like a cake from scratch for a party we went to, oven fried chicken and au gratin potatoes.

So so what are some of your old favorites that have fallen by the wayside?

lessisbest
3-15-15, 6:19am
I try to make 3 new recipes each week (as a way to justify my large cookbook collection ;-), so there are many of those recipes that have come and gone. I noticed many of the recipes I made when our kids were young are no longer made - Chicken Dressing Casserole, Cheeseburger Bake (biscuits on the top), Monkey Bread, Hamburger-on-a-Stick, Weenie Wrap-ups, Beef 'n Macaroni... I haven't made fried chicken in years (oven-baked or otherwise).

And all the recipes using wheat, now that we are gluten-free.... That is just tragic! I have been able to adapt some old favorites to gluten-free, but not many.

peggy
3-18-15, 11:02am
lessisbest, there isn't much I can't make gluten free as both my sister and daughter are celiac. Are there any recipes I could help you with? I have a killer biscuit recipe better than gluten filled ones. Not low cal but rich and buttery and good.:)

Gardenarian
3-19-15, 1:56am
Dump cake was one of my favorites - haven't mafe it in ages. And colcannon is delicious, healthy and cheap...meant to make it for St. Patrick's day....fail.

lessisbest
3-19-15, 7:09am
lessisbest, there isn't much I can't make gluten free as both my sister and daughter are celiac. Are there any recipes I could help you with? I have a killer biscuit recipe better than gluten filled ones. Not low cal but rich and buttery and good.:)

Thank you for the kind offer. Please share your biscuit recipe. I make biscuits with Pamela's Baking/Pancake Mix, cottage cheese and buttermilk that has been very good.

The biggest challenge comes because I also avoid, or use sparingly, many the high-glycemic flours and starches used in many gluten-free recipes and found in most of the commercial all-purpose baking mixes. These high-glycemic flours have their own set of "problems" due to carbohydrates and blood sugar, and we have been low-carb since the late 1990's in order to try to avoid diabetes (which is rampant in hubby's family). I use very little rice/rice flour due to the arsenic. The rice I do use I sprout and dehydrate first to help eliminate arsenic and mill my own flour. Many of the grains/seeds/beans I do use are also sprouted then dehydrated to increase nutrition, lower carbs, and make them easier to digest. I mill most of the gluten-free flours I use (buckwheat, oat, sorghum, cornmeal, beans, flax, etc.) and I make some of my own coconut and almond flour. I was using both coconut and almond flour long before I decided to eliminate gluten as an alternative to high-glycemic flours. I also avoid some sugars, agave nectar and honey due to fructose intolerance.

I developed cookie recipes for a local sorghum mill, so I do have some experience with working with the baking science.

I keep thinking we should start a thread posting our favorite gluten-free recipes. I make new recipes at least once a week.

Initable
3-30-15, 6:40am
Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

1 Package of Cookie Mix
1 Egg
1 Tbsp of Vegetable Oil
1 Stick of Butter

Mix the Mix, Egg, Butter, and Oil in a Large Mixing Bowl Stir it Firmly for 5 to 10 Minutes, Preheat oven at 350 Degrees Use PAM Cooking Spray before you put any Cookie Dough on, Place the Cookie Dough on a Pan for 10 Minutes, when Done it it Cool for 5 Minutes then Enjoy.

Zoe Girl
3-30-15, 9:14am
when my kids were little we ate the healthy poor vegetarian diet. i was looking through things and found the brown rice casserole i used to make all the time. Basically brown rice, cream of mushroom soup, cooked peas and diced carrots, cheese and wheatgerm on top. yummy,