PDA

View Full Version : Simplicity oxymorons

pony mom
3-28-11, 9:08pm
I just realized that my computer's Voluntary Simplicity folder in my Favorites has 18 sites saved. One of those sites has a list of 23 Minimalist links. And I tend to spend a lot of time reading them.

There's something wrong here.

Mrs-M
3-29-11, 12:44pm
Call me stupid, but I've read, reread, read again, then reread all over again, and still, your post has me stumped! :) I'm not the brightest person (I know), add to that the fact that I've always struggled with understanding "oxymoron" as a term, and that must be where I'm faltering in my understanding of your entry.

Kat
3-29-11, 1:11pm
@ Mrs-M, I think what pony mom is getting at is that trying to keep up all those links/blogs isn't very simple or minimalistic ;-) I can relate! :-)

herbgeek
3-29-11, 1:52pm
Mrs M- an oxymoron is 2 words put together that are opposites of each other, like jumbo shrimp or act naturally or genuine imitation. So in the original poster's case, she's contrasted the word "minimalism" with a list of a lot of items (which wouldn't be minimal). Does that explanation help?

Madsen
3-29-11, 3:13pm
Well, you can feel better in that a list of bookmarks is more minimalist than a pile of magazines and books! :)

Float On
3-29-11, 4:18pm
I just realized that my computer's Voluntary Simplicity folder in my Favorites has 18 sites saved. There's something wrong here.

lol - oh you mean I'm supposed to organize all those into one folder? See how far ahead of me you are on the quest for Simplicity?

catherine
3-30-11, 9:07am
Here's my oxymoron--http://silententry.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/simplify1.jpg

(How embarrassing)--but see the full blog post for the explanation.

http://silententry.wordpress.com/2009/10/16/simple-home-beautiful-home-part-ii-stripping-of-your-life/

iris lily
3-30-11, 10:45am
I am enjoying this thread! It's funny.

oh, and ps Catherine, I read your blog entry (liked it!) and am coveting those slipcovered chairs by the window in your "clean table" photo. Are those the ladder back chairs with covers?

( i know i know, *bad* iris, no coveting!)

I do have to say that I'm a little annoyed with articles that trumpet "women today are unhappy." Maybe I should start a thread about it. For those of us who bought into Betty Freidan's theory, that women were unhappy in the 1950's because they had no power of self determination. I have to say: so what's the excuse now?

catherine
3-30-11, 11:44am
oh, and ps Catherine, I read your blog entry (liked it!) and am coveting those slipcovered chairs by the window in your "clean table" photo. Are those the ladder back chairs with covers?

( i know i know, *bad* iris, no coveting!)

Thanks, Iris Lilly! They're actually used parsons chairs that I bought at a consignment shop, covered with fabric slipcovers that I had made by my son's exgirlfriend for a bargain price!

Regarding your comment about women being unhappy--I know. Seems like we're never happy, right? I agree that I would never want to go back to the 50s (although my husband is tremendously nostalgic for that way of life, not surprisingly). However, I think that maybe the whole women's movement upped the ante in terms of expectations in many ways, and that may be the source of some unhappiness. It's like the pendulum swinging the other way and now we have to settle on "The Middle Way." Just my thoughts. A new thread on the topic would be interesting!

Mrs-M
3-30-11, 2:12pm
Herbgeek. Thank you so kindly for explaining the word and it's use to me. I've been practicing with coming up with a few of my own but can't seem to think of any that make any sense. (Going to work on it).

Catherine. I really love the bumper sticker (sign)! If it were mine I'd display it right at the top of the kitchen hallway door for all to see. (Read your blog entry too)! Really great.

herbgeek
3-30-11, 4:58pm
Mrs M- how about honest politician? LOL.

JaneV2.0
3-30-11, 8:11pm
I always think "corporate culture."

Mrs-M
3-30-11, 9:37pm
That's a great one Herbgeek! Yours too JaneV2.0!

pony mom
3-30-11, 10:00pm
Ooh, I didn't think 'oxymoron' would cause confusion. Perhaps I should have titled it "Simplicity Contradictions"?

Excessive Minimalism--does that count as one? I love reading minimalist sites and blogs and will spend hours doing so rather than decluttering. A minimalist lifestyle would leave me more time to read even more of them.

Oh well, whatever I call it, it's too much reading and not enought doing.

Mrs-M
3-30-11, 10:21pm
Pony mom. I'm glad you titled it what you did. It helped me learn something new. I wasn't born a bright star. Pretty bad when everyone else followed the direction you were going other than myself...