PDA

View Full Version : Not gardening or farming, but something cool outside

CathyA
4-7-15, 2:32pm
After it rained the other day, I took a little walk. I was behind the barn when I heard this. It was just water falling down the barn downspout, but I couldn't believe how much it sounded like when my DS would practice his drumming on his practice pad. Cool! Turn up your volume!

http://vid46.photobucket.com/albums/f129/Catherine50/IMG_1588_zps5y2hijnp.mp4

KayLR
4-7-15, 7:01pm
Cool! Belongs on the Simple Pleasures thread!

lessisbest
4-8-15, 12:21pm
That is cool, and it's neat you captured the moment and shared it. :)

Have you ever considered placing a water diverter on the downspout and filling rain barrels to supply some of your watering needs? We have a 1,000 gallon capacity in nine containers, and during drought it's a huge benefit. If you have trees, landscape, gardens, etc. it's a great investment.

CathyA
4-8-15, 1:44pm
That's a good idea lessisbest. But right now we're flooding. :0!
I just hope I can get in the garden sometime soon to plant the snow peas.

Tussiemussies
4-9-15, 12:36am
I have read that using rainwater is good to use for flower gardens and landscaping but not good for vegetable gardens. There is a possibility of chemicals that run off from the roof and also the chance of the bird poop too...Just fyi! Chtistine

CathyA
4-9-15, 8:00am
LOL.........it rained again yesterday, so while I was out closing up the chickens, I checked this downspout on the barn.........the rhythm was there again, but a different cadence. I love finding these little interesting things!

Float On
4-9-15, 9:00am
I have read that using rainwater is good to use for flower gardens and landscaping but not good for vegetable gardens. There is a possibility of chemicals that run off from the roof and also the chance of the bird poop too...Just fyi! Chtistine

Honestly, my garden looks better when it rains or when I use water I've collected in my rain barrels than when I use the chemically treated water from the water hose.

lessisbest
4-9-15, 10:39am

Do you think the water provided by the city water treatment plant doesn't contain harmful "chemicals", not to mention all the Rx drugs that aren't removed. In our area (rural) the ground water is so contaminated with farm-related chemicals people with newborns are encouraged to use distilled water for mixing formula. We haven't used our city water for drinking or cooking for nearly 30-years.

At least bird poop is bio-degradable and a part of what happens in nature.