PDA

View Full Version : Name your top 3 worst weeds

iris lilies
5-7-15, 11:13am
You only get to name 3 in this game of Who Has the Worst Weeds?

mine are

bindweed

bermuda grass

johnson grass

i actually LIKE chickweed and hen bit because they spread, keeping other weeds at bay,and they are spring weeds. They die in summer.

my neighbor was complaining about violets and I think he is a wimp. If only my weed problem was violets.

herbgeek
5-7-15, 11:15am
Poison ivy
Bittersweet
Those two are easy. For a third, I'd struggle because many of the nuisance weeds I also find useful (plaintain, nettles...).

iris lilies
5-7-15, 11:15am
I broke out the Roundup to work on bindweed yesterday. I,ve been carefully diggin up the bits of bindweed, getting at the center root, but the next day there are more of it. this bed has been ver clean until I spread city compost I it, so tha bindweed infestation must have been I that compost.

iris lilies
5-7-15, 11:18am
Do you eat plantain? I don't hate it. While I've got a lot of it, they are nice and tidy little weeds, and when I decide to eradicate them in an area, I win.

ToomuchStuff
5-7-15, 12:04pm
There are all kind of weeds, but the two that are most problematic for me are Chinese Sumac (known more commonly as Tree of Heaven) and some sort of ivy that smells like Mint. Pretty much all others can be mowed over (and are at least green/keep the ground from washing away), or pulled.

The third, if I had to choose, I think I may have (need to check, as a neighbor sprayed when it started on his property and it may have spread to mine), is poison ivy.

herbgeek
5-7-15, 12:05pm
I don't eat the plantain, I use it topically for bug bites and skin issues.

CathyA
5-7-15, 4:08pm
Only 3???

Well, poison ivy, japanese honeysuckle, hops vine, greenbriar, stinging nettle, russian olive, jackson grass, garlic mustard, thistle, crab grass, brambles, ...... oh, you said 3?

The Storyteller
5-7-15, 9:31pm
Coyotes
Raccoons
Possums

catherine
5-7-15, 10:39pm
Only 3???

Well, poison ivy, japanese honeysuckle, hops vine, greenbriar, stinging nettle, russian olive, jackson grass, garlic mustard, thistle, crab grass, brambles, ...... oh, you said 3?

Cathy, if you're adventurous, you could try treating your arthritis with the stinging nettle. They actually have a ton of uses, from what I understand.

I would agree with you on the poison ivy, however.

Gardenarian
5-8-15, 1:07am
California burclover
Kentucky bluegrass
Himalayan blackberries

cdttmm
5-8-15, 7:31am
wild raspberries
vinca vine
wild violets

Mary B.
5-8-15, 9:22am
I see violets as a blessing rather than a weed.

3 worst:
Himalayan blackberries
buttercup*
bindweed*
(neither are bad at the moment in my garden but both are present and I've had huge battles with them elsewhere, so I am wary.

CathyA
5-8-15, 12:40pm
I like the violets too........but right now they are covering my asparagus beds, and I wonder if they sap many nutrients from the asparagus?

bae
5-8-15, 12:46pm
spurge laurel, Scotch broom, tansy ragwort

pcooley
5-8-15, 3:54pm
Bindweed and Siberian Elms. I cut down the elms when we bought the house, but they spring back from the base every year. They were growing against our back wall, and there are ants living around them, so the roots of the elms are difficult to dig up. That's been 17 years I've been fighting back the elms! The bindweed is not as much trouble as it was when we moved in. We have so much other stuff growing now it doesn't show up as much. The flowers are beautiful as well, so it's hard to hold a grudge.

Packy
5-8-15, 4:26pm
I don't have names for my weeds. See what I mean about these lawn people? They even name their weeds!

catherine
5-9-15, 12:58pm
Here's what my friend Dan posted on FB about stinging nettles:

Stinging nettle, a most profound edible and medicinal plant. One of the most nutrient dense plants in the world and loaded with vitamins and minerals. Nettle can be added to soups, stir fry, or added as you would any greens in any dish you can think of. They are best harvested for eating before they begin flowering. Yet they Can always be dried and made into a tea.

They are tricky to harvest because well, they sting, but even this is a kind of acupuncture therapy called urtication which is perhaps the origin of the art.

For thousands of years of tradition this practice has been documented to be applied toward inflammatory conditions, a few taps of the underside to nettle brings all of the blood to that area. That blood carries all of the minerals necessary to repair targeted pain areas. Nettle stems, once the plant does back in the fall, are also full of fibers for cordage and clothing. Get out and find yourself some nettles today.

Packy
5-10-15, 3:03pm
123 testing

befree
5-15-15, 12:27am
I'll trade your raspberries, vinca, and violets (all of which sound lovely) for goatheads, khaki weed, and mesquites (all of which not only are invasive, but have THORNS)

Gardenarian
5-15-15, 2:00pm
Oh, I forgot poison hemlock.
Pretty enough under the trees, but not what you want growing among your green. I've got tons of it.

Reyes
5-15-15, 10:31pm
1. Dandelions
2. Dandelions
3. Dandelions

goldensmom
5-16-15, 9:00am
1. Quackgrass - cannot kill it short of using glyphosate
2. Crabgrass
No other problem weeds in my yard.