PDA

View Full Version : Quaxing! Have you?

RosieTR
5-14-15, 11:38pm
Here is a background article:
http://momentummag.com/quaxing/

It's basically shopping with your bike or public transit. Some of this is kindergarten for SLers but it's cool that it's blowing up on Twitter and other viral sites! Almost every day I take bike or bus partway, and have been known to stop for groceries, wine, or home improvement supplies on the way. Baby steps for me but still steps!

Kestra
5-15-15, 9:03am
I can't believe basic stuff like this is "trending", though I agree it's good exposure. I can't bike (bad knees) and don't own a car, so almost all my shopping is done on foot. In the winter I'll use the bus more, and occasionally borrow a car. It also helps to not own a house and keep my needs exceptionally minimal so I'm usually just buying food, not big things.

Gardenarian
5-15-15, 1:51pm
Well, I'm glad it's trending, but somehow I don't think the word "quaxing" is going to catch on.

Zoe Girl
5-16-15, 9:22am
i read this to my staff who bikes to work, we thought it was from the onion. Funny how some of us have been doing this on and off for 20 years!

Radicchio
5-16-15, 11:03am
Sheesh ... this has been going on for as far back as I can remember and beyond. Do they not realize that, in addition to those who make a conscious effort to do that, there are many people who don't own (maybe never owned) a car? How do you think they get their household supplies, food, etc? I agree with your comment about this possibly getting some people to think outside the box (or outside their car), but it's absurd how something that has been going on for decades and more suddenly becomes a "trend." The Internet is such a useful thing, but sometimes it's just silly (IMO).

ToomuchStuff
5-17-15, 10:52am
I have shared rides, do shopping for 5 people (in the truck), ridden the bicycle to the hardware store, and then walked back with a 6 cubic foot wheelbarrow.
For the most part since part of my job is picking stuff up for work, I just combine errands. Small stuff like the hardware store run, no problem biking. Refrigerated stuff, I am far enough away, it makes sense to use a car.

lessisbest
5-23-15, 5:22am
Sheesh ... this has been going on for as far back as I can remember and beyond. Do they not realize that, in addition to those who make a conscious effort to do that, there are many people who don't own (maybe never owned) a car? How do you think they get their household supplies, food, etc? I agree with your comment about this possibly getting some people to think outside the box (or outside their car), but it's absurd how something that has been going on for decades and more suddenly becomes a "trend." The Internet is such a useful thing, but sometimes it's just silly (IMO).

I couldn't agree more! Give something old a new name and it becomes the new trend. Although the name sounds more like a hair removal treatment.... I thought about this thread when we watched a couple episodes of Roy Clarke's "Open All Hours" last night. Granville makes his grocery deliveries on a bicycle (post WWII) from his uncle's corner shop and he can't talk his tightwad uncle into buying a delivery van. My husband's family didn't always have a car to use when his father worked out of town, and he would bike (later he used his motorcycle for the task) to the little grocery store and get the groceries for the family. He could carry 5 bags of groceries, which he did a couple times a week because there were still 6 kids living at home, and the 4 boys drank a gallon of milk a day.

simplelife4me
5-31-15, 9:35pm
Had a Brazilian Quax job once...