PDA

View Full Version : my middle and college

Zoe Girl
5-24-15, 9:30pm
my middle daughter came over today to do some research around going to college (she is 21 now) i am so excited. it has been a rough couple of years but it really hit home when i was cleaning for this move and looking through old school papers. her test scores in math were maxed out. i don't recall her ACT off the top of my head but in the general state testing that changes every couple of years she was well above 90% every year in math. She is also a talented seamstress and makes clothes for herself and the cat without patterns so related to that she had always thought about something like cosmetology. that is fine but i was a little frustrated. i went to coffee with a friend this morning and i was able to finally put my finger on what is bothering me about my daughters both having their friend group and boyfriend not include anyone with college degrees. i am worried that the SO in the situation will not understand that in college you go to class a short time and spend a long time studying. in my extended family there are the vast majority with college degrees and many went to school later or added school later. So we all understand that it takes a lot of hours to study.

so she is interested in accounting and business, super yeah! But she was still taking advice from her friend group and looking at a place associated with the public schools that does lots of trade type education. it has a certificate in business accounting, but when i pointed out that the classes included keyboarding and microsoft outlook she agreed that it was not for her, much too basic. the expected reading level is 9th grade. i explained that even if that meant it was easy that every employer would assume she had a lower reading and ability level because her certificate was from there. So we started looking at community college and i feel much better. there are many options and some are more business and some specific accounting. she already has an algebra and an english class at community college level with decent grades.

she is also going to see if she can go back to work at target, she was doing very well and starting to get mini-promotions when she needed to go to rehab. she is not sure if how she left makes her un-rehirable but i think that they would understand and be happy to have her back. she did not have any behaviors at work caused by alcohol that would make it hard to go back, she just didn't give much notice to go to the hospital. she is currently working at another retail place and not getting the hours and the good work environment she had.

i am doing some happy momma dance here

Gardenarian
5-26-15, 3:15pm
Great news! I sure hope her dad kicks in with some support for her college dreams.