PDA

View Full Version : Tired of dealing with mechanics

dmc
5-28-15, 5:10pm
I wanted to have a fuel flow gauge installed in my plane. I talked with the shop that I had my annual inspection done last year and they said they could do the work. Figure 6-10hrs time. So after waiting a month for them to get me in, my plane has now been in their shop for a week and a half.

The install requires them to put a transducer in the fuel line, a gauge in the panel that already has a spot for, and connecting 5 wires. I would do this myself, but the FAA won't allow it. I also have to pay them to fill out the paperwork on the new visors I installed, I'm not suppose to do that either. There were 3 screws to remove and replace after all.

I hate having to beg someone to work for me, I have never even questioned the cost, and wrote them a check as soon as the plane was done. I guess I need to find a new shop.

catherine
5-28-15, 5:59pm
Boy, sounds like a good opportunity for someone to start a business repairing planes and delivering great customer service. The clientele would be great, if all small plane owners are like you--not price sensitive and payment in cash.

Packy
5-29-15, 6:43pm
Tell you what--the one thing that confuses Hill People the most is warrr'ing. The city here is VERY concerned about Hill People doing their own warr'ing, though adjoining counties have no requirements at all. Ha. So, do you live where there are Hill People? How closely does the FAA monitor the work you have done? Can't you just do it um, surreptitiously? I mean--who would ever know?

dmc
5-30-15, 6:42am
Tell you what--the one thing that confuses Hill People the most is warrr'ing. The city here is VERY concerned about Hill People doing their own warr'ing, though adjoining counties have no requirements at all. Ha. So, do you live where there are Hill People? How closely does the FAA monitor the work you have done? Can't you just do it um, surreptitiously? I mean--who would ever know?

The problem is the FAA also requires a yearly inspection, and since the quage I had installed is obviously not original to the airframe the inspector would want to see that the correct paperwork was sent in. About the only thing an owner can do himself according to the FAA is change the oil and lube. Now I have heard that sometimes hangar fairies repair original equipment. But I wouldn't know myself.

ToomuchStuff
5-30-15, 12:23pm
This isn't your typical mechanic, why not get your A&P license and do it yourself, as there are schools for that.
How many mechanics are in the shop you use? How many planes to service? Are they overworked, or dealing with an FAA inspection (happens when anyone crashes and they go through all the maintenance)?

Yes, it may be a "simple" job, but there are safety (lives in and on the ground) concerns, which is why all non ultralight, experimental planes have to be checked, inspected, certified and documented.

dmc
5-30-15, 2:24pm
This isn't your typical mechanic, why not get your A&P license and do it yourself, as there are schools for that.
How many mechanics are in the shop you use? How many planes to service? Are they overworked, or dealing with an FAA inspection (happens when anyone crashes and they go through all the maintenance)?

Yes, it may be a "simple" job, but there are safety (lives in and on the ground) concerns, which is why all non ultralight, experimental planes have to be checked, inspected, certified and documented.

The problem is to much regulation. I mean its kind of silly that I have to pay to have someone legally install sun visors, there held on by the original 3 screws. I can understand if the planes are used for commercial work to have more oversight, but it's overkill for most of the personal planes out there.

and I don't mind having mechanics work on my plane for some things, I do have my car worked on by a mechanic sometimes.

I picked up up my plane today, it cost $1150 to install a fuel gauge, not including the cost of the gauge. It required a hot and ground wire installed, and three wires that ran from the gauge and plugged into the sensor. They gave me a 20% discount for being a preferred customer.

bae
5-30-15, 2:33pm
The problem is to much regulation.

I hear you there. In my infinite spare time, I help run the local airport. The FAA paperwork is vast beyond comprehension. We have one 126 page binder on the shelf that basically says "when there are birds on/near the runway, here's how we scare them off...". Another is about 90 pages, and describes how we prevent the local radio-controlled model airplane club from interfering with our operations.

Some of the navigational/landing aids on the field have light bulbs. We aren't allowed to change them when they blow out. The Feds send out a technician, all the way to this teeny island, to change a light bulb. We *used* to change them, a procedure that takes 2 minutes and the cost of one of the super light bulbs, but we got yelled at. The Official Procedure takes about a week to accomplish, and must cost the taxpayers thousands of dollars.