PDA

View Full Version : Can't part with it

Sad Eyed Lady
4-2-11, 12:39pm
I have a 2000 Toyota Echo that I have had since 2002. I loved this little car since the first time I sat in it at the dealership and still love it today. It now has 128,000 miles and recently I thought "why not get myself a new car?". I have some money just sitting in the bank that my mother left me when she passed 8 years ago. I haven't used a penny of it and so I was thinking about taking some of it and buying a slightly used Toyota; probably a Yaris that replaced the Echo. I went to the dealership, drove a 2009 with few miles and a new 2010. Price wasn't bad, but the more the salesman talked the more I realzied I didn't want to part with my little Echo. Finally when he saw he wasn't really getting anywhere he asked me what it would take to put me in one of those cars. I replied: "to fall in love with it, like I did this one". So, I came home with my old Echo deciding to use some of the money to take it in for a "checkup", have anything repaired that needs it, refresh it's paint and trim and drive another 100,00 miles!

bae
4-2-11, 12:57pm
Very sensible!

Polliwog
4-2-11, 2:21pm
I agree, that is a very sensible option. If you love the little Echo, keep her.

Gina
4-2-11, 6:42pm
Yep, I drove a Honda Accord for 19 years. From day 1, just loved the thing in every way. Only gave it up because it no longer felt dependable, and sprucing it up would have really cost lots. I donated it to 'cars for causes', and they were happy to get it. Not a dent nor significant scratch on it.

nswef
4-2-11, 8:57pm
My friend just had her GEO die...268,000 miles, so your Echo still has a long way to go!!

redfox
4-3-11, 12:04am
We had 2 ECHO's once... still have one, a 2000 as well. Gold, 2 door, 5 speed, just over 100K. Awesome car. Consumer reports rates them well for repair history, and they get fantastic mileage. I hope ours never dies!

Sad Eyed Lady
4-3-11, 9:49am
We had 2 ECHO's once... still have one, a 2000 as well. Gold, 2 door, 5 speed, just over 100K. Awesome car. Consumer reports rates them well for repair history, and they get fantastic mileage. I hope ours never dies!

Yes, we are a two Echo family also. My husband has a 2003, but it is just a baby with only around 57,000 miles. They are awesome cars and LOVE that gas mileage - we get around 40 mpg on the road, maybe more at times. One of the great features on this car for me is I am not even 5 feet tall, and the Echo seats set up - I can see OUT, not the middle of the steering wheel!

JaneV2.0
4-3-11, 8:41pm
Smart decision. I've found that if I have to talk myself into something, it's not for me--no matter how many logical arguments I can mount in its favor.

SRP
4-4-11, 1:25pm
I feel the same way about my Honda Fit. I bought it new back in 2008. I really hadn't planned on buying a new car. I had a decent pickup truck - bought it way back when, because I needed the hauling capacity. But I never liked that truck. It was just a necessity. It had about 200,000 miles on it when I got rid of it, but it was in good shape and had lots more to go. But I just didn't want it anymore. I found the Fit, and it was love at first sight. I'm going to keep that car until it can't go anymore.