PDA

View Full Version : what to do with leftover asparagus?

Zoe Girl
7-16-15, 9:55pm
i also have some leftover couscous from dinner. i thinking about bringing it for lunch, it is just my son and i and we end up wasting food with just 2 people.

bae
7-17-15, 1:40am
If I only have a few stalks left, I put them in an omelet or a frittata. Or a sandwich.

rodeosweetheart
7-17-15, 2:02am
Cream of asparagus soup, of course!

creaker
7-17-15, 9:01am
I guess I'm not imaginative - I'd just cut up the asparagus and mix it with the couscous.

Mary B.
7-17-15, 9:17am
Creaker, I'm less imaginative. I'd just eat it, cold, likely while doing the dishes. It is lovely in an omelet, though. (I'm bemused that autocorrect tried to change my mistyped "frittata" to "frigate," hence the omelet.)

lessisbest
7-17-15, 4:51pm
Everything is "game" for Stir-Fry, which is the theme for every Wednesday night. Leftover veggies and cooked grains often find their way either into the next meal or two, and almost anything can be used as a pizza topping on Sunday. I'll use almost any kind of vegetable in a tortilla-based meal or a green salad. There is also a container in the freezer I fill with bits and dabs of veggies (cooked and fresh) and that gets converted to vegetable soup at some point. If you have a casserole night, that's another place to use leftover veggies.

This Q & E recipe (ready in 20-minutes) lends itself to all kinds of veggies, and I've added asparagus several times.... I've also used other kinds of meat. You can literally use this recipe to clean out the refrigerator. I usually make 1/2 a recipe for 2-people.

PENNE AND HAM PRIMAVERA

2 c. uncooked penne or mostaccoli pasta (7-oz.)
1 c. sliced zucchini
1 c. sliced yellow summer squash
2 c. cubed fully cooked smoked ham
1/2 c. reduced-fat Italian dressing
1/4 c. chopped fresh basil leaves
1/3 c. shredded Parmesan cheese
Coarsely ground black pepper, if desired

Cook penne as directed on package except during last 3-4 minutes of cooking, add zucchini and squash to pasta; drain. Return pasta mixture to saucepan; add ham, dressing and basil. Cook over medium heat until hot, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and pepper. Makes 4 servings.

Tussiemussies
7-17-15, 8:33pm
I used to make asparagus oreganato that I had at a restaurant once. You steam your asparagus until done. You make a white sauce and add enough Parmesean cheese to the sauce so that you can really taste it. Then you put it in a dish so that the asparagus is swimming in the sauce. Take bread crumbs and lightly toast them in butter and then sprinkle some oregano over the top and then the bread crumbs. Put under the broiler until lightly brown...it's very good!

Zoe Girl
7-17-15, 9:21pm
oh man tussles, i am going to buy more asparagus. my foodie son is trying to get his girlfriend to eat some green things, heck if she doesn't eat this i will it all

Tussiemussies
7-20-15, 12:15am
Hi Zoe, I hope you enjoy this as much as I do!

Sloeginfizz
7-20-15, 7:38pm
What is this leftover asparagus of which you speak?

Never any such thing in my house. I've been known to eat a whole bunch of it on my own. But it's really good chilled with a vinaigrette dressing in a salad. Also, for next time, while its good steamed, it's really great either grilled or roasted in the oven (toss with a little oil first).