PDA

View Full Version : Best ways to use whey?

Sloeginfizz
7-20-15, 10:52pm
Just as an experiment, I made yogurt. It saved me a couple of bucks vs buying a big tub and several bucks vs buying the little cups. Anyway, my husband asked for Greek yogurt, so I drained part of my batch. Now I have a couple of cups of icky looking yellow stuff that the Internet assures me is full of vitamins, minerals, and all kinds of goodness.

What are the easiest, best ways to use this stuff? One website said to use it to ferment vegetables, like a sort of pickle. Maybe a little advanced for this household. I'm still making baby steps in this frugality/simple living thing. I mean, just last month, all yogurt in this house was Chobani bought in the small cups.

bae
7-20-15, 10:55pm
Feed it to the hogs.

Sloeginfizz
7-20-15, 11:00pm
No pigs or other livestock, unless you think the cat would like it. I'm a city dweller and live in a small condo.

lessisbest
7-21-15, 3:40am
-Cooking/baking
-Smoothies
-Soup
-Lacto-fermentation
-Add it to homemade lemonade or limeade, along with some chia seeds, for a REAL thirst quencher - better for you than sports drinks.

You might find the uses at this link helpful: http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2011/06/16-ways-to-use-your-whey.html

Word of caution.... If you are adding it to yeast breads, too much whey (or other dairy products) can cause the gluten to weaken and it will affect the volume, symmetry, cellular structure, and texture of the bread. The top of the crust will look more like a roller coaster ride, instead of the smooth top you desire, if there is too much dairy or whey in a recipe.

Chicken lady
7-21-15, 6:26am
The cat might like it.

if it is cloudy yellow you might be able to make ricotta cheese - clear won't work. Heat to 190/200, add a tablespoon of white vinegar (it's 1/4 cup per half gallon) let cool and strain through cheesecloth. If everything runs through the cheesecloth it probably wasn't cloudy enough.

I'd go with bread though.