PDA

View Full Version : Books to read out loud

sumarie
4-3-11, 8:17pm
My sweetie & I like to read to each other, and are looking for suggestions of books that others have found enjoyable. We've worked our way through the All Creatures Great & Small series, as well as most of Alexander McCall Smith's various series. Any others of you like to read aloud? Any favorites?

Alan
4-3-11, 8:30pm
The only books I routinely read aloud are by Dr Seuss. The cadence is generally perfect and the grandkids love it.

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go..."

dreambig
4-3-11, 10:40pm
Laura Ingalls Wilder series!

Madsen
4-3-11, 11:13pm
All-time classic = Goodnight Moon!

goldensmom
4-4-11, 6:19am
Patrick McManus, especially the outdoor humor series.

earthshepherd
4-4-11, 6:35am
Anne of Green Gables has some great scenes for out-loud reading.The Coffee House Mysteries series is fun.

I am reading 44 Scotland Street by Alexander McCall Smith. I loved the #1 Ladies Detective Agency!

Stella
4-4-11, 8:27am
I read the Harry Potter series to DH so we wouldn't fight over who got to read them first. :)

The Winnie-the-Pooh and Box Car Children books are favourites with the kids.

treehugger
4-4-11, 12:18pm
Patrick McManus, especially the outdoor humor series.

This makes me think that anything by Bil Bryson would be excellent for reading aloud. His books are so funny that you end up reading parts of them aloud to anyone who will listen anyway. :)

Long after I could read by myself, my mom continued to read aloud to me, but I don't know if any of those books would work for adult couples. The Wizard of Oz series, Swallows and Amazons series, and Anne of Green Gables were standouts.

I think Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Ernest would be fun.

Kara

domestic goddess
4-4-11, 12:29pm
Another vote for Bill Bryson! I find his books laugh-out-loud funny, and I don't really do that a lot.
What about some of the British "cozy" mysteries, like Agatha Christie or Ruth Rendell? I think the Adam Dalgliesh mysteries (can't recall the author at the moment) or the Albert Campion mysteries (Allingham) might also be good. You can tell that my choice for escapism reading material tends toward the cozy mysteries. Don't want anything with too much blood or gore. After all, I live in Chicago. If I want blood and gore, all I have to do is watch the evening news!

ETA: There is always the Bible, or other favorite religious texts. In times past, families used to read the Bible aloud in the evenings, or on Sunday. I always wanted to do that, but dh wouldn't take part. If you don't want to read the whole thing, there are plentyof stories that could be read aloud. A children's Bible often has the stories paraphrased, for easier understanding for the kids.

Simplemind
4-4-11, 2:37pm
Bill Bryson fan here too. I'm reading one right now. I love to have DS try to read them to me because he just can't stop himself from totally cracking up.

bae
4-4-11, 2:40pm
Many Kipling works are great aloud. Also Conan Doyle. Hemingway.

earthshepherd
4-4-11, 3:00pm
I remember my grandfather reciting poetry aloud to us. He knew many by heart. My favorites were The Spell of the Yukon by Robert Service and Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll.

Merski
4-4-11, 7:20pm
Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Schaeffer I believe would make an excellent read aloud.

winterberry
4-4-11, 11:52pm
DH and I like to read to each other. Dave Barry had us laughing 'til we cried. We like Bill Bryson, too.

winterberry
4-4-11, 11:57pm
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go..."

Alan, which Dr. Seuss book did this quote come from? I love Dr. Seuss, too!

debi
4-6-11, 12:51pm
One of my all-time favorite books as well as a made-for TV movie is "Brian's Song". The life of Brian Piccolo, a football player who has cancer and what the team does for him. SO also enjoys this.

puglogic
4-6-11, 9:07pm
My personal favorite read-aloud is The Phantom Tollbooth. So fun.

domestic goddess
4-8-11, 12:11pm
Alan, which Dr. Seuss book did this quote come from? I love Dr. Seuss, too!
I'm not Alan, and I'm not sure about the answer to the question, but I would guess it is from "Oh, the Places You'll Go".
I love Dr. Seuss, too, but I think some of his books are too grown up for me!

puglogic
4-8-11, 6:24pm
I love Dr. Seuss, too, but I think some of his books are too grown up for me!

I loved this :) (The Lorax IS pretty grown-up to me......)

sumarie
4-8-11, 11:35pm
Thanks, everyone, for all the suggestions -- have made a list to go exploring at the library.

beckyliz
4-18-11, 1:31pm
Right now, I'm reading the The Tale of Desperaux to my 11 yo DD at bedtime. It is really a very charming story and very well-written.

Merski
4-18-11, 8:49pm
I really liked DiCamillo's The miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane