PDA

View Full Version : Resource for Learning to Sew?

Geila
8-11-15, 2:04pm
Hi all,
Does anyone have any suggestions for videos or websites on learning to sew?

I'm an auditory/visual learner and really want to learn how to do the basics. I've also thought of doing an ad to find someone to teach me, but if I can learn how to do it for free.....:).

:thankyou:

lessisbest
8-11-15, 5:04pm
If you have a County Extension Office in your area, check with them. Sewing is still taught at most 4-H clubs, so I bet there are some videos to go along with the lessons. The Extension Office may also have lessons -- they did years ago. Check with the Family and Consumer Sciences Agent.

Check with your friends (if you are really young, then parents of your friends ;)) and see if there is anyone who has sewing skills who would mentor you. How about a retired school teacher who taught sewing?

I never realized how fortunate we were to learn not only plain sewing, but some tailoring skills as well, when we were in high school taking home economics. Everyone had a sewing machine and made many of their own clothes back then.... A great skill that has withstood the test of time.

Zoe Girl
8-11-15, 6:27pm
i teach sewing through a tutoring company wyzant. it may be a more expensive option but you get one on one lessons. Also check out the 'free university' if you have in your area. And check with the fabric stores, they probably have classes or teachers.

i would really suggest in person before videos to start, and then maybe learn some advanced techniques with videos. Some of the simple things you may not catch by yourself, bobbin tension, stitch settings, fabric weight and texture, etc. So i hope there is a teacher in your area.

catherine
8-11-15, 8:20pm
Do you have a Jo-Ann Fabric near you? They have sewing classes. I learned how to sew in a class sponsored by a fabric shop decades ago, and it was very useful for learning how to sew.

Float On
8-11-15, 8:21pm
Our local highschool vo-tech offers evening adult classes. I've taken a sewing class there before. It was a lot of fun.

mschrisgo2
8-12-15, 2:20am
Our Parks & Recreation Department offers many sewing classes, for a very nominal fee: $40 for 8 sessions. For some reason they are listed in the "Seniors" section ;)

Tussiemussies
8-12-15, 4:34am
I taught myself to sew with the Simplicity brand of patterns, The Dummy Series. I don't know if this would be good for you....

Radicchio
8-12-15, 12:05pm
You might take a look at Pattern Review. They have tons of resources there, including an online forum. They also offer online sewing classes for all stages---beginner, intermediate, advanced. However, they are very task specific, so if you could get some general sewing lessons locally first, you might find their lessons more helpful later.

Geila
8-12-15, 5:58pm
Thank you for the great ideas everyone! I do think that it would be best to learn the basics in person, and you guys have confirmed it.

Unfortunately I haven't seen any sewing classes at any of our local community colleges or adult ed programs, although I know they used to be offered. I'm in the Silicon Valley, maybe that's why...? And I honestly don't know if we have 4-H around here, but I'm going to google it right now! There is a senior center nearby but I would not qualify (mid 40's), so don't know if they would let me join and if they offer any sewing classes. The last I heard, most of the senior centers were moving towards offering computer classes (and the different programs and such that are available on a computer and online - we have excellent public libraries with computer access and that seems to be a welcome service program for many seniors), as well as various financial planning type things. The adult ed programs are also focused on computers, college prep, and some hobby classes like photography which are technology driven. And the only extension courses that I recall seeing were for the Master Gardener series, but I will check that out.

I do have access to a local community online forum and I will post a notice there. Maybe I can find someone to come to my house and teach me on my machine - my brand new machine, which has never been used! I'll also put the word out to my neighbors. A few years ago I did ask around and didn't find anyone, but you never know. I think there's a quilt group locally, I'll inquire with them as well.

Joann's does offer classes but they are not very convenient as the store is clear across town in a rather busy area, both with commute traffic and weekend shopping traffic. And I honestly would rather not be tempted to spend $ every time I take the class, which would happen at Joann's :|(. Oh, wait. There's a sewing machine shop nearby (I think they sell and replace machines), I can see if they have any info as well. And that shop is very close to me. It used to be a fabric store but no more.

Any thoughts on what would be an appropriate hourly rate for basic sewing lessons?

Gardnr
8-12-15, 8:56pm
I presume you already have a sewing machine? What do you have-make/model? You should have a guide with it. If you don't, google it. Sewing guide/handbooks are almost always available online for free. READ it front to back-trust me on this?

I am also a kinesthetic learner. You tube is awesome!!!!! Type in "Learn to sew for beginners. You'll get a big list of options.

Do you know WHAT you would like to sew first? Consider a tote for shopping? A pillowcase? Something that doesn't require shaping.

How to use your sewing machine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVP-pfjdyeE&list=PLE40305971F856091

This person has a whole series of 13
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVP-pfjdyeE&list=PLE40305971F856091

Start with cotton or polyester/cotton fabrics....they have very little stretch. Stretchy knits are fabulous clothing but they are not a recommended first project.

Free patterns here:
http://so-sew-easy.com/free-sewing-patterns/

I've been sewing since I was 10. At one point I made my own tailored suits in 2h and saved a fortune. The recent 2 decades, I'm a quilter.

The world is yours when you sew:cool: Have fun!!!

KayLR
8-13-15, 3:01pm
Online there is craftsy.com. they have sewing classes and knitting, crochet, et al.