PDA

View Full Version : 9 days into my CycleMonth

Ultralight
9-9-15, 9:44am
As I mentioned in another thread a little over a week ago, I am biking all distances under 4 miles (one way; 8 miles total).

This has been going well. All my little trips to the grocery, the bank, etc. have been work-outs. haha.

It dawned on me that cycling instead of driving is like printing my own money, but I get a work out too. So that is good!

But something startling occurred to me last night. I was just starting a 10 mile (give or take) drive to a community group meeting. I felt this feeling as though I was really inconvenienced by having to drive instead of bike. I felt like: "This sucks. I'd rather be cycling..."

If this emotional reaction grows, then I may be able to cultivate a resolve in myself to go car-free in a reasonable time frame.

Anybody else have revelations like this about going car-lite or car-free?

iris lilies
9-9-15, 10:36am
As I mentioned in another thread a little over a week ago, I am biking all distances under 4 miles (one way; 8 miles total).

This has been going well. All my little trips to the grocery, the bank, etc. have been work-outs. haha.

It dawned on me that cycling instead of driving is like printing my own money, but I get a work out too. So that is good!

But something startling occurred to me last night. I was just starting a 10 mile (give or take) drive to a community group meeting. I felt this feeling as though I was really inconvenienced by having to drive instead of bike. I felt like: "This sucks. I'd rather be cycling..."

If this emotional reaction grows, then I may be able to cultivate a resolve in myself to go car-free in a reasonable time frame.

Anybody else have revelations like this about going car-lite or car-free?

while I'm glad you are on this site, you'd fit right in with Mr.Money Mustache. MMM is a bicycling fiend and yes, he thinks biking is printing money.

but there are several cyclists around here, hope they step up.

Tammy
9-9-15, 10:39am
Often the deciding factor in doing something optional is whether I can walk or bike to get there.

Kestra
9-9-15, 12:43pm
I'm doing something similar with walking. Trying to walk instead of busing as much as possible, plus adding in extra walks. So far it's going really good. I missed 2 days of walking because I was mostly camping and there wasn't any walking/busing opportunities.
But for the other days I've averaged walking 6.9 km (4.3 miles) / 80 minutes a day. I'm feeling the same way about busing that you are about driving. I bused to work today as I plan to walk about 2 hours this evening. But it felt lazy and annoying.

Ultralight
9-9-15, 12:45pm
I'm doing something similar with walking. Trying to walk instead of busing as much as possible, plus adding in extra walks. So far it's going really good. I missed 2 days of walking because I was mostly camping and there wasn't any walking/busing opportunities.
But for the other days I've averaged walking 6.9 km (4.3 miles) / 80 minutes a day. I'm feeling the same way about busing that you are about driving. I bused to work today as I plan to walk about 2 hours this evening. But it felt lazy and annoying.

Very cool! 6.9 km is a lot! :)

I am thinking of working some bus routes into my cycling so I can extend my distance of travel outside 4 miles without using a car.