PDA

View Full Version : Distinction between "still usable"- or "no longer usable" in your home/life.

Mrs-M
4-5-11, 9:09pm
I just finishing up the supper dishes and see that my dishcloth has seen better days. There's still a little use left in it but with a one inch hole near the centre, it's just a matter of time. (A matter of time before I pull out a fresh new one to replace it).

I find once a hole develops in either a cleaning rag or dishcloth, the end is near. Seems the hole or holes always tend to catch on things making the hole(s) bigger, or more holes begin to sprout all around, a sign the fabric has lost it's original woven strength.

So here's my question to you, where do you draw the line Re: "still usable" or "no longer usable" in your home? i.e. Cleaning cloths, socks, pants, shirts, rags, etc.

Here's the thing, when it comes to socks, if I find so much as one small little hole in one of my socks, into the rag bag they go! I cannot stand holey socks. Same goes for shirts and pants and things. Not only do holes look unsightly and sloppy, they make for uncomfortable wearables.

Kestra
4-5-11, 9:33pm
Depends on how I use the item, how hard it would be to replace, and if there is an emotional attachment.
- dish cloth could have lots of holes but eventually would be thrown out since easy to replace and no attachment
- clothes with holes may stop being public suitable but are still usable for around the house or dirtier stuff
- prime example is old quilts. I have several older quilts that were made by mother/grandmother or great grand mothers. They all have lots of holes. But I only use them to be warm at night and the holes don't affect this. I also have an emotional attachment and don't like to throw away things so old that someone put a lot of time into. The other issue is replacement. I must have heavy blankets and it seems that new blankets are either comforter style-way too light, or fleecy - also light, or a good quality real quilt that might be expensive and also not heavy enough. I don't know when I'll throw those away.
- socks - I keep longer than I should. If they are uncomfortable, I try to throw them away since it's easy to buy new socks and I can afford it.
I generally do have a hard time throwing things away. So I try not to buy too much and I've only lived on my own for 11 years so most things I've bought are still in good shape. I do refuse to have threadbare towels like my parents have kept for 35 years. There has to be some towel material still left, even if they don't look good.

Bronxboy
4-5-11, 9:40pm
I tend to keep clothes until they are quite ratty, especially if I like them. I am trying to get over it by throwing away a clothing item for every new one I buy.

The exception is that I have to keep some ratty clothes for working on cars and painting.

Kathy WI
4-5-11, 9:58pm
My clothes are unusable when I get too fat for them, or I notice they're about fifteen years out of style. My husband's clothes are unusable when they get smelly and it doesn't come out in the wash. I'm picky about bath towels and replace them if they start to smell funny or I start to hate the color. Furniture lasts forever, so far anyway; we have lots of furniture over fifty years old. I also have some cooking utensils and dish towels that I use regularly that are over fifty years old.

Float On
4-6-11, 7:59am
I only use crocheted or knitted dishcloths and found I can darn the holes in those pretty well.

I. Do. Not. Darn. Socks. Into the rag box they go and with two teenage sons there is a whole lot of socks in my current rag box. I'm not sure quite what happens but they can have a pair of brand new socks in the morning and come bedtime there is a toe sticking out. What torture a teenagers foot must go thru!

Old cotton boxer shorts - the best parts are cut out to use as patches in my oldest son's jeans (he breeds knee holes about as fast as his socks breed holes).

Mrs-M
4-6-11, 11:33am
Good morning all!

Kestra. You've touched on several important issues, attachment to certain things definitely changes my perspective on the matter.

Bronxboy. I call them grubbies or work clothes and you're right, holes or not, they come in real handy for odd jobs and yard-work.

Kathy WI. Regarding clothes that outlast their style or "in" date, bingo, you're right, I've accumulated a selection of just such items in my closet too over the years. Items that you wear and wear and think absolutely nothing of it, then one day (as you take something out to put it on) it dawns on you- "gee, does this ever look dated".....

Float On. Crocheted and knitted dishcloths are my favourite thing! Seems they last and last way beyond the cheap store bought ones, and knitted ones are usually a lot bigger giving you something to hold onto when wiping and washing. Teens and clothes, you're right, so hard on them they are. Boys that is.